Jmaldo's Discus Build

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! I really need to order a couple of those caves from Keith. He had 2 left, but they may be gone by now. That was about a week ago. They look really nice in your cave and will be much better than the water spikes.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm...
It has been a month since I have updated. I suppose due to no real developments. The 2 pairs are still spawning but only reach the wiggler stage on the cones so far. Maybe it's my water. Still testing my theory in the 29 gallon as mentioned in coralbandit thread.
Oh, I have been made an offer for one of the pairs, leaning towards selling since it is impossible to keep 2 breeding pairs together.
Still struggling with the plants at the 84' temp. After some more research I purchased a bunch of plants from Vishaquatics last week. He suggested the following:
Amazon Swords
Elodea canadensis
Pearlweed
Water wisteria
Limnophila heterophylla
Ludwigia rubin
Ludwigia Repens
Taxiphyllum sp spiky moss and riccia fluitans

They arrived last week in "Great" shape. Very healthy stock and planted in a couple of 10 gallon for now. This will allow me to give them the attention and EI dosing of ferts without affecting the fish. Gotta try something, I miss my "Underwater Garden".
Thanks again Vishaquatics the rest is up to me.
Pics to follow.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Hmm...
It has been a month since I have updated. I suppose due to no real developments. The 2 pairs are still spawning but only reach the wiggler stage on the cones so far. Maybe it's my water. Still testing my theory in the 29 gallon as mentioned in coralbandit thread.
Oh, I have been made an offer for one of the pairs, leaning towards selling since it is impossible to keep 2 breeding pairs together.
Still struggling with the plants at the 84' temp. After some more research I purchased a bunch of plants from Vishaquatics last week. He suggested the following:
Amazon Swords
Elodea canadensis
Pearlweed
Water wisteria
Limnophila heterophylla
Ludwigia rubin
Ludwigia Repens
Taxiphyllum sp spiky moss and riccia fluitans

They arrived last week in "Great" shape. Very healthy stock and planted in a couple of 10 gallon for now. This will allow me to give them the attention and EI dosing of ferts without affecting the fish. Gotta try something, I miss my "Underwater Garden".
Thanks again Vishaquatics the rest is up to me.
Pics to follow.
I’m glad I could provide you with plants for your beautiful discus tank! Thanks for the shoutout

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I am down to just 3, sold a pair today to a fellow "Wet Pet" keeper. Just the pair and a runt left.
Here is the pair I plan on keeping for now. The male is almost 7" nose to tail and the female maybe 5". Hopefully, they get it right eventually. Or maybe I just need some of coralbandit "Magical Mineral Spring water" mix.

Blue Diamond Pair 2920.jpg

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Well, I am down to just 3, sold a pair today to a fellow "Wet Pet" keeper. Just the pair and a runt left.
Here is the pair I plan on keeping for now. The male is almost 7" nose to tail and the female maybe 5". Hopefully, they get it right eventually. Or maybe I just need some of coralbandit "Magical Mineral Spring water" mix.

Blue Diamond Pair 2920.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous jmaldo!! If you get any fry raised from these two I will surely buy some!

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Call me biased but these are some stunning blue diamonds! Also congrats on the spawn.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just "Chillin" here with the "Blues" and not just fish.
Since the pair ate their eggs, just shy of wigglers.
Watching them do the mating ritual, swimming the tank, matching each others moves, a little swapping of tail smacks. And also, the quivering of their dorsal fins. Really, a sight to see.

And here they are

Blues 02152020.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Absolutely gorgeous!! I see the allure of the blues now. Stunning.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they are great looking Discus! The color is perfect on them from front to back with striking red eyes. Yes when you get them growing I’d like 2:).

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As mentioned Saturday night the mating ritual and yesterday before leaving for the job she was pestering him to clean the cone. Came home to a spawn.
I noticed the eggs are larger this time. Also, the pair I sold are doing fine and have spawned for their new keeper. Fins crossed for both.

Spawn 21920.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this their first spawn with no other discus in tank ?
Who else is with them ?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So far a half dozen spawns. Only inhabitants with this last one is a pair of your hybrid Rams and Sterbai Corys. Which the pair have chased to the opposite end of the 55.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Congrats again jmaldo

Fingers crossed again for you!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:(:mad: Ugh!
They ate the eggs again. So frustrating.
Ok, I am done being patient with these 2. Posting spawn pics and waiting, if they will let them get farther than wigglers.
At this point I am making the 55 gallon a Planted Community with Discus. I should see if I can change the title of the thread.
Anyway, moved some fish and did some "Underwater Gardening" today
Inhabitants:
Pair Blue Diamonds
Pair Dark Rams
3 Sterbai Cory
2 Hatchets
2 Starlight Plecos
3 Siamese Algae Eaters
A few snails - Ramshorn and pond

Plants:
Red Tiger Lotus
2 Amazon Swords
A few Vals
Water Wisteria
Elodea Canadensis

Not the best pic but...

22320 55 gallon.jpg

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
:(:mad: Ugh!
They ate the eggs again. So frustrating.
Ok, I am done being patient with these 2. Posting spawn pics and waiting, if they will let them get farther than wigglers.
At this point I am making the 55 gallon a Planted Community with Discus. I should see if I can change the title of the thread.
Anyway, moved some fish and did some "Underwater Gardening" today
Inhabitants:
Pair Blue Diamonds
Pair Dark Rams
3 Sterbai Cory
2 Hatchets
2 Starlight Plecos
3 Siamese Algae Eaters
A few snails - Ramshorn and pond

Plants:
Red Tiger Lotus
2 Amazon Swords
A few Vals
Water Wisteria
Elodea Canadensis

Not the best pic but...

22320 55 gallon.jpg
This is all really exciting and the pic looks great!

I was wondering, do you find you SAE's eating the discus slime coat. I've read that they can get a taste for it?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RollaPear said:
This is all really exciting and the pic looks great!

I was wondering, do you find you SAE's eating the discus slime coat. I've read that they can get a taste for it?
That's CAE's :D SAE's remain true algae eaters as adults.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
That's CAE's :D SAE's remain true algae eaters as adults.
Ahh I knew it was one of them lol

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All of the suction cup fish (plecos,ottos and cae) may eat the slime off discus. I have an Otto now that does eat it. Try catching an Otto in a 125 fully planted tank :eek: :eek: . Not happening!! Plus there are 5 in there!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
RollaPear said:
I was wondering, do you find you SAE's eating the discus slime coat.
Have not noticed it, when I added them the Discus of course were inquisitive and tried to check them out. Just too fast for them. I was hesitant to add them since 84' is at the upper limit and they zoom around like torpedoes with jet packs.
They went right to work on the BBA, algae and biofilm "Great" cleaners. I have kept them before when I first started (see pic) and they grew into fat cigars.

SAE (3).jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a cage to place around the cone after they lay eggs .
It baffles me why most don't just eat the fry but ?
It seems that many good pairs stumble on the eggs going to fungus and being good ?
They're like us and just not patient enough but with the cage in place they are forced to wait to the next step ..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom