Jmaldo's Discus Build

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
You're keeping the Bolivians in with the disc ??
Yep, 83'. I know it is at the high end of their temp range. They are doing fine, in fact last night they started digging some pits again. I will be doing some rearranging this weekend, so they will be getting their own tank. I'll feed the offspring to the "Discus" and the "Darks" I got from you.

Learning all the time.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Well. the 2 pairs are still laying eggs and eating them after a couple of days. And got kinda of worried for the odd one out so I moved #5 to the 33L with the EBA brood and Hybrid Rams from Tom. It is doing "Great"
As mentioned in my breeding thread my 2 remaining Bolivians decided to pair up and spawn in the 55 gallon Discus tank. Yeah? But no extra tanks, so...
Great parents, but once they became swimmers they struggled with keeping them together. I did add a divider and it helped but ... then decided to remove it and it was snack time for everyone. At least I know I have a viable pair for future breeding.
Made the "Turkey Day" trip to my sons in Michigan. They have a "Good" LFS close by
Home - Moby Dick Pet Store, Inc.
They always have a supply of "Driftwood", I picked up these 3 pieces for under $50 total. Score!

Driftwood 1.jpg

Driftwood 2.jpg
Great looking driftwood jmaldo! I got some really nice pieces of Mopani from Chewy.com - but get what they send, so it’s a gamble. Sounds to me like you need another tank! :rolleyes:

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Well. the 2 pairs are still laying eggs and eating them after a couple of days. And got kinda of worried for the odd one out so I moved #5 to the 33L with the EBA brood and Hybrid Rams from Tom. It is doing "Great"
As mentioned in my breeding thread my 2 remaining Bolivians decided to pair up and spawn in the 55 gallon Discus tank. Yeah? But no extra tanks, so...
Great parents, but once they became swimmers they struggled with keeping them together. I did add a divider and it helped but ... then decided to remove it and it was snack time for everyone. At least I know I have a viable pair for future breeding.
Made the "Turkey Day" trip to my sons in Michigan. They have a "Good" LFS close by
Home - Moby Dick Pet Store, Inc.
They always have a supply of "Driftwood", I picked up these 3 pieces for under $50 total. Score!

Driftwood 1.jpg

Driftwood 2.jpg
Great looking driftwood jmaldo! I got some really nice pieces of Mopani from Chewy.com - but get what they send, so it’s a gamble. Sounds to me like you need another tank! :rolleyes:

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, it was water change day on the 55 and 29 with the Discus and friends. Not much happening or so I thought. Came back a few hours later and both pairs layed eggs on the cones. The closest I have have gotten so far with the 2 pairs is some dark spots in the eggs from the pair in the 29 gallon, before they are gone. Have pics will upload tomorrow.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pics:
55 gallon
BD  55 gallon spawn.jpg

29 gallon
BD 29 gallon spawn.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fins crossed ! They are so close I hope they catch up to you .
You are there ! Enjoy until they make you work harder ...
Very nice Joe .

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Pics:
55 gallon
BD  55g spawn.jpg

29 gallon
BD 29g spawn.jpg
Never been much of a Discus fan, but wow yours are beautiful :D

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:( 55 gallon eggs gone after 2 days, Try,Try again.
:) Still have eggs and what appear to be a few wigglers so far in the 29 gallon.
Fins Crossed!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What a beautiful color blue!!

Fingers crossed for the wigglers.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
"Confirmed Wigglers"
I know as many will say, unless you have a pic they do not exist. Well...
They look like tiny dark specs in pics, but I was able to get a vid.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
"Confirmed Wigglers"
I know as many will say, unless you have a pic they do not exist. Well...
They look like tiny dark specs in pics, but I was able to get a vid.

Congrats jmaldo ! One step closer! Slow and steady! Hope the best for you and your now wigglers! Now they just have to not eat them! Lol

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, not to be. They are gone, not sure if they are eating them or the Gold Ram pair sharing the tank are snacking on them. At least I know I have a viable pair. Yeah!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Per Tom's advice.
Now the pair in the 29 gallon have it to themselves. I did notice another spawn before water change and moving their tankmates yesterday. Oops! Forgot I had a male Super Red with them. Maybe he was the culprit after lights out.
Will see how far they get now, "Fins Crossed"

Got this shot last night of the pair in the 55 gallon.

Blue Diamond Discus Pair.jpg

And this one of the Ram kept checking me out.

Ram Hybrid.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, the pair in the 29 have spawned again. Glad they are still trying. So much for having a 90/125 gallon with a bunch of Discus. Just too much picking, chasing and hiding spawning or not. Really no interest in "Breeding" them to much of a High-end niche market. So I have decided to sell/trade at least 1 pair plus the outcast come springtime.

Learning all the Time!

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Well, the pair in the 29 have spawned again. Glad they are still trying. So much for having a 90/125 gallon with a bunch of Discus. Just too much picking, chasing and hiding spawning or not. Really no interest in "Breeding" them to much of a High-end niche market. So I have decided to sell/trade at least 1 pair plus the outcast come springtime.

Learning all the Time!
That’s great that that you’ve got 2 pairs jmaldo! I’m sure you’ll be able to get good money for them - to put towards other fish you’d like to have for your 90 gallon. Discus are certainly a learning experience! I would enjoy having my Turqs raise a ‘brood’, but the main thing I like about these fish are their personalities, and their beauty.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LOL I must have a "Discus" fever. Had a dream last night of fry attaching.
Anyway got some pics with my phone the other day, Google sent back an enhanced pic using the program Picasso. Here it is.

55 gallon pair.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Taking pics of some Homemade Pleco caves I purchased, of course most of the inhabitants had to come over and check me out. I could not believe my eyes but the EBAs and Rams have been doing some cave exploring. Actually disappearing inside. The first pic still has a Discus in it along with some Rams courtesy of coralbandit ,so technically it's part of the build. I should change it to Community Build with Discus. LOL

Pleco cave on driftwood.jpg

Pleco Cave 2 in 55 gallon.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the stump / caves ...
Are they clay or plastic ?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Clay, Handmade from an artist in California. As mentioned by tfreema in another thread purchased through KJE Aquatics

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Watching the tank this afternoon and the Super Red BN decided to claim a cave.

Super Red Pleco in Cave 2 .jpg

Close up of the EBA

EBA Looking at Me.jpg

And the spawn in the 29 gallon starting to hatch into wigglers.

Startin to hatch wigglers.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom