Jmaldo's Discus Build

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the color change since you've added the sand. It's like an entirely different strain. Great tank and discus jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
Looks like your blue diamonds are a bit darker with the plants. Looking good.
Thedudeiam94 said:
Maybe due to the dark substrate and background along with the additional driftwood and plants they look much deeper blue than when you first got them.
RollaPear said:
It's interesting to see the color change since you've added the sand. It's like an entirely different strain.
Thanks Guys and Agree
Yes, I noticed that to. With the addition of black sand, plants, dark background and angles of lighting they do appear darker. I also think they are a little stressed due to all the changes. Just an observation about these "Discus" along with others keep. I have to say I liken them to "Mood Rings". They change colors depending on their mood, breeding, habitat and water changes in a matter of minutes. I have seen mine go from a bright brilliant blue to all shades in between to darker deeper blue to almost translucent at times.

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ugh! It appears I have a second pair of Discus. Moved the Alpha back into the 55 gallon everything was "Ok" for a couple of days, then they were ganging up on #5 again. Turns out they wanted to mate.. They are busy cleaning a piece of the tall driftwood and the intake tube. Time will tell. I really need to get some breeding cones for them. Ended up moving #5 to a 20h with a pair of coralbandit Rams. Everyone is doing fine.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here is a pic of the first breeding pair in the 29 gallon. They have spawned many times, still waiting for wigglers?

Breeding Pair.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
I really need to get some breeding cones for them.
I found these at the Aquatic Experience so grabbed 2 of them for like $10 each .
I like them and what they are made of [ plastic ] .
Someone once told me I should get paid by Kens !
Tropical Kegel Spawning Cone

So far the Blue Snakeskins have used one the Santarems hit a terracotta pot last time ..
There are several choices for each pair in their tanks ..
I hope you get to see wigglers and feel the need to raise them !;)

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jmaldo said:
Ugh! It appears I have a second pair of Discus.
Ok,everyone. To be clear, My Ugh! in the post should have been "Augh" due to the fact now it appears I have 2 pairs. This was not in my ultimate plan. "Mother Nature" has other ideas. Some of you may say "Lucky" for you, but... silly me, thought I would be able to upgrade to a 90 or 125 gallon Planted tank with "Discus". So much for planning.
During my research, forgot the possibility of pairs developing. I moved the first pair to a 29 gallon due to the aggression and protecting they exhibited with their spawns, causing the others to huddle in the opposite corner of the tank. Now with the 2nd pair in the 55 gallon moved #5 to a 20H so 3 tanks with "Discus". What to do?
Since I have no immediate plans to raise any fry (just watching to see if I have viable pairs).
What would you do?

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you do not want pairs forming in the 55 gallon, put in a divider. Males on one side, females on the other. OR if you want a pair that doesn't keep the rest confined to a corner, put the pair on one side and the rest on the other. You can put the divider at less than halfway point to give the pair less room. Dividers for 55 gallon tanks are easy to come by.

Here is the one I have used in my 55 gallon. I like that it is black and largely blocks the other side. If you have bottom dwellers, just raise up enough for them to scoot under.
Amazon.com : Fin Friends 29 or 55 Gallon Aqarium Divider with Suction Cups (29 or 55 Gallon) 12.5" X 18.75" Please Measure Your Tank Before Purchasing. : Pet Supplies

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tfreema said:
f you do not want pairs forming in the 55 gallon, put in a divider.
Thanks, I have used a divider when the first pair formed. See pic below. It just was not what I had planned. Maybe the black will be better?

Divider 55.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO a divider is the same as a 'wasted ' tank .
No disrespect I use dividers but when it comes to tank space and planning dividers should be back up not main plan ..
I share your pain Joe . I only got the round fish on a whim and now they take up valuable real estate .Not saying they don't deserve the space ,I think maybe even more but I am not sure I saw this out either ..I got two pairs also who both finally aligned and laid eggs today !
The blue snakeskins on intake tube again and the santarems on the cone I linked ..I am flexible enough to say I might keep discus in my 180 and even enjoy it .I mean I am a vetran keeper and the King of fish seems an appropriate goal ? I didn't have a long term goal ..Even if I did the best plans need adjustment or alteration ..
I got two pair , one in a 65 gallon all to them selves and the other still sharing the 60g with 3 others .. I don't see these all going together in the 180 even after a few beers ? The not placing them all in the 'Big Tank' in the beginning like others have ,and the separating of the alphas from others I think makes a 'community ' impossible for these fish ?
So what to do ?? I want to raise fry a couple times like I know Joe does ..We share a desire and taste that is hard to deny ..
I see myself with 1 of my two pair long term the others gone [sold or back to LFS] and maybe depending on how things go looking to a color disc I really want to work on and picking a group to grow out in 180 and separate a pair or two if it happens again ..
Fish breeders say buy 6 and you should have a pair..I guess if you buy 10 you get 2 pair ..
I kind of feel bad for people I send 6 rams to..They get 3 pair everytime !:p

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you keep all male or all female groups? If so, you could have a nice big group in a 180g for sure.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I started my 125 with 12. Like I said than I believe I took the biggest risk going with the substrate and a planted tank. Still no pairs and very little aggression. Most of mine are in the 4-6 inch group now so I assume they’re adults. I wonder why this is? Could it be the bare tanks stimulate breeding? fa4960 how about yours? I went pretty much the same way as you though you have even more discus. Have yours paired off? If so how long into keeping them did it happen? Even after adding the new 2 everything stayed the same in my tank. I have no top dog. There’s some chasing around but nothing consistent. Those that chase are also chased and nothing lasts the length of the tank. Got to say I’m very happy with this.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
86 ssinit

My big blue and big yellow did pair and had eggs a few times around the age of 12 - 15 month but I haven't seen anything happening the last 6+ months. Since I have no intent to breed them I am not really giving it any thoughts to be honest but I think part of the reason I see very little pairing / breeding activity is a higher than ideal Nitrate content in the water with only weekly WC's as well as a fairly high PH around 8.2 with the organic potting soil somehow leaking Nitrate as well as increasing PH by 0.8....

Since I now only have app 20 fish left in 330 Gal / 1250 L there is plenty of room to swim around as well as plenty of places where they can get out of sight without necessarily hiding, so very limited aggression also for me.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the replies and theories everyone. Researching all over the net quite a bit, not much out there. It appears a larger tank along with more Discus might help the situation, but still no guarantee. The divider would be a temp fix but not long term for me. Decisions?
Raising some fry as mentioned by Tom, would definitely be a learning and rewarding experience, since their first nourishment comes from the parents slime coat. If it happens "Great" but no expectations. So much for my goal of the 90 gallon -125 gallon with a group of these beauties, maybe 2 55 gallon with a pair in each. Or just sell 1 pair and keep the other pair in a 90-125 gallon? Need to figure this out.
My brain hurts right now. LOL

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not much happening except, I noticed for awhile when I approach the tanks the Discus would swim away and hide. Hmm...
My theory is they think I am going to give their tanks a cleaning, so instead of water changes and cleaning every 3 days. I waited a week, the water parameters are fine except I did notice more bio-film on the glass.
Might just be a coincidence but... they are now coming up to the glass when I approach. Yeah!
Oh, and I have a cloud of Bolivian Ram wigglers/mostly swimmers in the 55 gallon with the pair of Discus. The parents are "Great" protectors, even though everyone is coming over for a snack, decided to add a divider to see how far they get.
Hey, Tom I took your advice and got some breeding cones from Kens fish. The pair in the 55 gallon layed eggs yesterday on a cone. Yeah, but of course they were gone today. At least they keep trying. The pair in the 29 gallon have been cleaning theirs.
See pics:

BD pair 29g cone.jpg

BR wigglers 111319.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As mentioned the pair in the 29 gallon were cleaning the cone and woke up yesterday, to eggs. Still there today.
Yeah!

29 gallon 111819 spawn.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fingers crossed.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
As mentioned the pair in the 29 gallon were cleaning the cone and woke up yesterday, to eggs. Still there today.
Yeah!

29g 111819 spawn.jpg
Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Said three times for posterity! I haven't looked at this side of things myself but as always in this hobby it's a sign of really healthy and happy fish. Please keep us updated, I'd love to see how this progresses.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, started seeing little dark specs in the eggs from the pair in the 29 gallon, but I guess they got hungry, eggs gone yesterday. Young parents still trying to figure out this parenting thing.
At least both pairs are using the cones.
Learning all the Time!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well. the 2 pairs are still laying eggs and eating them after a couple of days. And got kinda of worried for the odd one out so I moved #5 to the 33L with the EBA brood and Hybrid Rams from Tom. It is doing "Great"
As mentioned in my breeding thread my 2 remaining Bolivians decided to pair up and spawn in the 55 gallon Discus tank. Yeah? But no extra tanks, so...
Great parents, but once they became swimmers they struggled with keeping them together. I did add a divider and it helped but ... then decided to remove it and it was snack time for everyone. At least I know I have a viable pair for future breeding.
Made the "Turkey Day" trip to my sons in Michigan. They have a "Good" LFS close by
Home - Moby Dick Pet Store, Inc.
They always have a supply of "Driftwood", I picked up these 3 pieces for under $50 total. Score!

Driftwood 1.jpg

Driftwood 2.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're keeping the Bolivians in with the disc ??
What temp ??
Maybe I am not reading right or missed this before ?
I FINALLY managed to pull a second set of Bolivian wigglers with mom and dad and it looks like I am on my way to group #2 finally ! So happy !:D
First group could be pairing up anytime now ? Fun fun fish ..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom