Jmaldo's Discus Build

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no! Really sorry!!

Always try to get them back in water to check. I had a jumper that was out for a while and still survived.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
:( Down to 5. My fault, during tank maint./ water change it appears #5 jumped out. I did not notice until all finished and looking at the tank and noticed only 3. Found it behind the stand. Just walked away a few times and not that long.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Learning all the Time.
Oh no! I’m awfully sorry @jmaldo :( It’s bad enough to lose one when it just doesn’t thrive, but yours were doing so well! I’ve been busier than a one armed paper hanger these last couple of weeks, and this morning I found myself walking over to the microwave to put the orange juice away :shy: - sometimes we just depend on auto-pilot, and it doesn’t work!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! Everyone,
Always try to get them back in water to check. I had a jumper that was out for a while and still survived.
I have had "Luck" in the past with the "Hatchets". I suppose it was just to long out of water.

IMO my jumper was chased out by a breeding pair ...
Maybe, but everyone was getting along. I took the tops off to give them a "Good" cleaning. It was just a few minutes.

It’s bad enough to lose one when it just doesn’t thrive, but yours were doing so well!
Agree!

Well, I did add some sand to about 1/3rd of the tank for the Cories
Wrapped some hornwort around a piece of driftwood.
Pics to follow.
Also, ordered some more "Plants" from Aquatic Arts, first time with them. Should be here Weds/Thurs.

And... the pair spawned again. This will be the 6th or maybe 7th for them.

Learning all the Time!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plants arrived from Aquatic Arts. Look "Good" except the Madagascar Lace arrived with the stems detached from the bulb. I have had bulb plants arrive with the stems intact in the past. I sent them an email, suggested they should have wrapped it in a paper towel. Hopefully it will bounce back. Also,a Cardinal Plant (1 small stem). The Water Wisteria and Brazilian Pennywort are floating till the weekend.
tkGW9mc.jpg

NrEoPNi.jpg

WQkfFob.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my pennywort. It does best anchored to some wood and allowed to reach the surface. The surface leaves always look very healthy. I think I am preferring that over frogbit these days.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@tfreema
Agree, the Brazilian Pennywort along with Red Tiger Lotus are my favorite plants. When I started this build, I moved what I had to another tank and ended up getting some "BBA" decided to toss. Going to be an "Underwater Gardener" this weekend.
:emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed:

Just a touch of Under watering Gardening. Not ready for "Prime-time" so no pics just yet. Was per-occupied with the water changes and getting the tank ready for my acquisitions from @coralbandit
I did add about 1/2" of black sand to the 55g.
And....
My pair are still trying to get it right, this is the 8-9 time.
Have another spawn, she gave up on using the driftwood and decided to use the Qanvee filter. And I noticed they are both more attentive this time, taking turns fanning them. Not ready to start breeding but as @coralbandit mentioned just want to know I have a viable pair.

The 33L QT, ready for the "Rams" from @coralbandit

And the "Eggs" are gone again.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sending you an extra pair so be ready .. They are on there way [pm sent ]..
I figured I would bonus you a pair of Dark black/EBR hybrids to complete a good color scheme ..

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well had a few days vacation needed to be used, so some extra time with the fish.
The "Rams" arrived from @coralbandit on Friday. Thanks again, Tom.
They are "Beautiful" specimens. The pair of "Darks" are unreal, their pelvic fins have some unique coloration, blue/orange. The "Golds" have orange heads with white/translucent bodies. But were terrors in the "QT" they got moved to the 55 Community today. I know I should quarantine longer but they were chasing the others nonstop. The "Hybrid" is also one of a kind. See for yourself.

Floating Bags.jpg
Bageed Golds.jpg
Golds 55.jpg
Dark 1.jpg
Darks and EBA juvie 1.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, threw in some plants in the 55. Not bad for a start. But it appears the "EBA" doesn't appreciate my choice in plants he has spent the majority of today attacking them. LOL
Oh, I forgot a pic of the "Hybrid" and more pics of the 55 inhabitants.

Hybrid.jpg
Hatchet.jpg
Bolivian.jpg

Papa EBA and Juvies.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
"Thanks" Everyone.
Ok, just realized I mentioned planting but forgot the pic. As someone has said here or on another forum, no pics it does not exist. So here it is.

55 10202019.jpg

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hope your EBA doesn’t tear it up!
He is a character, I think he is bored and misses his mate. Taking a break from EBA breeding have to keep them apart or they breed like rabbits. I got them from @coralbandit also know as the "Ram" guru. Highly recommend.
Thanks, the planting is a start, I have had success at 78 degree tanks, not sure how this will go at 84. Time will tell.

Learning all the Time.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It takes time with plants. Aponogeton crispus grow good as does wisteria. Giant hygrowphelia also grows as do amazon swords. Swords grow slower. Looks like your blue diamonds are a bit darker with the plants. Looking good.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It takes time with plants. Aponogeton crispus grow good as does wisteria. Giant hygrowphelia also grows as do amazon swords. Swords grow slower. Looks like your blue diamonds are a bit darker with the plants. Looking good.
I noticed that as well. Maybe due to the dark substrate and background along with the additional driftwood and plants they look much deeper blue than when you first got them. All in all they look great and so does the tank! Keep up the good work! Lucky you got some nice dark rams also! 6] making me want some myself! Everything looks great! 1360]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom