Jmaldo's Discus Build

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
Thanks Everyone.
As mentioned with the loss of #8 and now #7. It is just a bit confusing and discouraging at the same time. From all the research I have done and giving these "Discus" the "Best" with water changes, food, etc.. and they get the most attention. I am realizing why the majority of hobbyist say they are the most difficult to keep.
Look at our gang, everyone has a different type of setup from bare bottom to full blown planted tanks. Hard to soft water, high pH to neutral. From "Discus" only tanks to communities, canister filters and UV to just sponge filters. Most of us do 25% to 90% water changes every other day to once or twice a week even 3 times.
No rhyme or reason.
I have had my random losses keeping a wide range of different fish when I first started, but this is getting ridiculous.
I really disagree with a prophylactic treatment. Just use normal "Quarantine" procedures and have not experienced any type of disease in my tanks.(Knock on Wood).
But coralbandit may be on to something.
At this point I am not throwing in the towel but will proceed full speed ahead with caution of course and get the "Planted Community" build going. And continue to be a spectator and see what "Mother Nature" decides.

Learning all the Time.
Keep positive! Don’t let losing a fish be your downfall! Always look for that silver lining! We are ALL learning and experiencing different scenarios. For every action there is an equal to opposite reaction. Consider it as your opportunity to grow and don’t let it steer you away from the hobby you love. We all have lost fish at some point or another and we all “learn the hard way” so to speak. I believe you will come out of this a much better discus keeper than you imagined. We are all slowly “getting the hang of things” so no one here is better than the other! Keep your confidence and don’t let it get the best of you I have faith you will figure out a solution very soon. Imo you are doing an excellent job at taking care of your discus I just think Mother Nature May have had different plans! She’s always so moody this time of year anyways. Lol you got this!

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thedudeiam94 said:
Woooah slow down there Barbra lol getting lots of discus now! kidding! Glad everything is working out for you with your ifishstore discus! But just a little heads up (their discus are always on sale)
Well, I only wanted to get ‘companions’ for the 3 that are the only one of that kind I have now Gee, you’re right - I just checked the iFish site, and he’s just changed the wording a bit! Better to get them now, when they’ll all be about the same age/size - and the weather is good for shipping, right!?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Had a "Good" time at the club Auction yesterday. Picked up some plants for the build $40 (Amazon sword, Vals, Hornwort, Java Moss and Water Lettuce). Also, sold the last "6" EBA. (except for the pair) for $40. So, basically a trade. Here is a pic in the 20L QT. Onward I go.

OZ5bGuP.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Niceee jmaldo looks good! Good deal too!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yay auctions!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update.
The "Discus" are now going to to be treated no different than the other fish I keep and decided to make some changes.
Really tired of looking at the tank with just the "Discus" and "Hatchets" in there, along with the divider. So, I rehomed the pair to the 29 gallon (they spawned and ate the eggs again). The Alpha in the 29 gallon was moved to a 20h. And get ready, moved the adult male EBA along with the two Bolivians in with the other 3 Discus in the 55 gallon.
Also dropped in some "Hornwort" to float. Everyone is fine. pics to follow.

:;bananawater:;bananawater:;bananawater

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, jmaldo , where’s the pix?:)

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:oops:Oops! "Patience Young Grasshopper", maybe later today after lights on and water change.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
:oops:Oops! "Patience Young Grasshopper", maybe later today after lights on and water change.
Lol! I’m about to do the same! Maybe today the Turqs will cooperate, and let me get some pix I’m beginning to believe that they both either male or female, as I’m seeing some aggression, now. No one has become the obvious boss, and they still eat together without any chasing, but when they’re just hanging out they will face off and start nipping and chasing. Oh my, does this mean I’ll have to get more for that tank.:shy:

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine do the same, they hang out then they chase. Then chill and hang out. Been watching the tank the last few days and the two Bolivians are absolute characters. Posting up and sparring with each other, no real aggression then they chill Then get bored and try the same with the EBA, but he just pays them no mind and swims the tank. It's crazy their antics.

BarbaraLocke said:
Oh my, does this mean I’ll have to get more for that tank.
LOL! You already have "10", how many more you want? I would let everyone settle in for awhile and see if any start to pair off.
I moved my pair to the 29 gallon, just waiting for eggs again. As mentioned by coralbandit just want to see if they are a viable pair.

Learning all the Time!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lights - Camera and ...

zWq1ek1.jpg

t4rtI4w.jpg

Now on to the Water Change!
Oh, by the way, just for reference the male EBA is just shy of 5" acquired from coralbandit last year. And the female is raising about a dozen+ in the 30L. As mentioned just letting her and "Mother Nature" handle it.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would squeeze those sponges in a bucket of tank water before pouring it out to clean them a little without killing the BB.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Of course Thedudeiam94
Done and Done. 55 gallon-29 gallon-20h
And the pair spawned again. Let's see if they are getting any better at this parenting thing since they are now alone in the 29 gallon.

PNhD81R.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The female Bolivian has her tube showing so maybe eggs from them soon too ??
The disc look good !

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
LOL! You already have "10", how many more you want? I would let everyone settle in for awhile and see if any start to pair off.
I moved my pair to the 29 gallon, just waiting for eggs again. As mentioned by coralbandit just want to see if they are a viable pair.

Learning all the Time!
Well, when I thought the Turqs might be a pair I figured they could have the 50 gallon all to themselves (the other 10 are in the 75 gallon), but now that it looks like they’re not a pair I got thinking that adding more discus to their tank would keep the aggression from getting out of control. And, you and coralbandit might be selling some juvie’s in the near future

jmaldo said:
Lights - Camera and ...

zWq1ek1.jpg

t4rtI4w.jpg

Now on to the Water Change!
Oh, by the way, just for reference the male EBA is just shy of 5" acquired from coralbandit last year. And the female is raising about a dozen+ in the 30L. As mentioned just letting her and "Mother Nature" handle it.
Beautiful jmaldo ! Love the EBA! It seems like your pair of Discus are as determined as Bandit’s! Here’s hoping you get wigglers this time, too!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Quick little buggers. After tank maint today. Added 6 EBA fry (4 weeks young) to the 55 gallon. It is a sight to behold, the Discus and Papa EBA, all are hunting. Mother Nature at her finest.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Surprise, surprise the EBA fry have all made it through the night.
Decided to put the Alpha back in the 55, so far so good. Appears he has chilled quite bit. So I need to get a QT tank (30L) ready for for some Rams from coralbandit so the Sterbai Cory (4) have also been moved to the 55.Here are some pics.

UYQN0jU.jpg

vuTR1ZF.jpg

25r91l4.jpg

Oh, and a Super Red Pleco.
wu9A4tq.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you put just a little thin layer section of sand in for the cories to sift?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tfreema said:
Can you put just a little thin layer section of sand in for the cories to sift?
Yep, that's the plan.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:( Down to 5. My fault, during tank maint./ water change it appears #5 jumped out. I did not notice until all finished and looking at the tank and noticed only 3. Found it behind the stand. Just walked away a few times and not that long.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Learning all the Time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom