Jmaldo's Discus Build

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First set of eggs are a welcome sign of a good future and nothing more IMO.. I know nothing of disc but I spot happy fish like that !
Leave em where they are .
If you want to entertain the fish move the pair after whatever the demise of eggs is [watch you be 1 in 1000!] .
Then they will be more focused and dedicated .With all that you are still dealing with a fish that is barely smarter then rams when comes to learning parenting and play a far more important role .. It is not just the hatching [pretty sure you or I could hatch the eggs ] , but it is the feeding that presents a special challenge all unto itself .Learn about that and plan /strategize and imagine how many spawns before they get it right .
If you choose to 'help' know that fry from young parents are usually smaller and harder to feed then usual !
Looks like you may have got a few more eggs than my guys laid ...On that , the eggs ….Gone yet ?
You know how to be patient ..September is early in my fishroom for serious breeding .The South American cichlid union forbids serious efforts until the 'official season ' starts around October or so I hope !

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Eggs still there. Even after the water change and adding the divider.
No ideas of grandeur at the moment. And I need to give breeding a "Break".
Agree with you coralbandit Acheivement Only! During my research raising the fry is at a whole other level. What the future holds?

The reason I was asking about moving them to a 10 gallon, was not for breeding but to give the other 4 huddled in the opposite corner a break from the parents protection mode. I have decided not to move the pair with the eggs. I did setup a divider to alleviate the stress to the others from the new parents. And the other 4 are swimming around like normal now Before they were not even eating.. Pics to follow.
Right now will just be a spectator, gonna let "Mother Nature' handle it. What happens, happens.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DecoyCat said:
I have found the females are the more dominate ones in the tank, what they say goes.
Now with my "Blues" #1Alpha and #2 betta both males are the dominate ones so far. This is the reason I moved #1 after the failed courtship he had with #3. I now realize this might be the reason he turned into a "Terror" in the tank, and why he was moved to the 29 gallon.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As mentioned decided to add a divider to the tank. I have done this before when I had an Angel Pair spawn with other Angels. I used a corrugated plastic panel with flutes.Kind of blinding, would have preferred a darker color but this is all I have at the moment. And yes even after adding the divider and a water change / tank maintenance, still have eggs.
55 Divider.jpg

Divider 55.jpg
Discus eggs.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well not to be. 1st spawn
Woke up yesterday waited for the lights to come on and the eggs were still there. Yeah! But... it appears they fungused over.

534783-c15f582e1665d71afadee6ff6bdef711.jpg

Just an observation, I did notice the parents were not fanning the eggs as I normally see with the many spawns from the Bolivians and EBA. New / Inexperienced parents?

And before I could remove them the pair decided to start eating them. I did get a vid of them eating them.
(may post if anyone interested)

Within an hour the eggs are gone.

534784-cb9ed3cfcad4689b9157dfce70b8b99c.jpg

Mother Nature at her finest. I have decided to leave the divider in for the time being since the other 4 are doing better without all the stress from the pair. Let's see how long before another spawn?

coralbandit
Appears to be about the same time frame.

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
And we have another spawn. As I am typing this.
Let's see if I can get another vid ?

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
And we have another spawn. As I am typing this.
Let's see if I can get another vid ?
Wow! That’s only 2 days since they ate the eggs from the earlier spawn! They’re obviously intent on making this work!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BarbaraLocke said:
Wow! That’s only 2 days since they ate the eggs from the earlier spawn!
Agree, I was surprised myself. I figured maybe a week or so, but 2 days...
So during the water change yesterday, it became apparent the divider was just getting in the way. Removed the divider and the pair shot over to the other side of the tank and started harassing the other 4. I thought it would subside, but ended up putting it back in. So I finished the tank maintenance with the divider in took a bit longer, what a "Pain" but...
Anyway, I was just chillin later that night and looked over at the tank and could not believe my eyes. So here is a short vid. Let's see what happens. It's up to them and of course "Mother Nature".

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Agree, I was surprised myself. I figured maybe a week or so, but 2 days...
So during the water change yesterday, it became apparent the divider was just getting in the way. Removed the divider and the pair shot over to the other side of the tank and started harassing the other 4. I thought it would subside, but ended up putting it back in. So I finished the tank maintenance with the divider in took a bit longer, what a "Pain" but...
Anyway, I was just chillin later that night and looked over at the tank and could not believe my eyes. So here is a short vid. Let's see what happens. It's up to them and of course "Mother Nature".

They’re obviously on a mission jmaldo ! I think you may have to live with that divider for the foreseeable future!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update, the eggs are gone. So they are 0 for 2. To be expected of course. They are still learning along with me. I might pick up a cone for them.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Down to "6".
Lost #7. I thought I was doing my best, but... "Mother Nature" has other ideas.
For about a week I noticed #7 not eating as well, it would take some food but then spit it out.. No noticeable changes except that. Two nights ago after feeding I noticed #4-5-6 were taking turns chasing #7. They were relentless. So, I have another tank ready for some corys I am expecting, decided to remove #7. Woke up this AM and it was floating. Water parameters are fine. 0,0,5 TDS 150 Temp 84'.
I lost #8 about 5 weeks ago, both of them were the "Runts" of the litter. similar issues with the chasing.
As mentioned maybe it's just survival of the fittest, but...
Still no idea???

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
Down to "6".
Lost #7. I thought I was doing my best, but... "Mother Nature" has other ideas.
For about a week I noticed #7 not eating as well, it would take some food but then spit it out.. No noticeable changes except that. Two nights ago after feeding I noticed #4-5-6 were taking turns chasing #7. They were relentless. So, I have another tank ready for some corys I am expecting, decided to remove #7. Woke up this AM and it was floating. Water parameters are fine. 0,0,5 TDS 150 Temp 84'.
I lost #8 about 5 weeks ago, both of them were the "Runts" of the litter. similar issues with the chasing.
As mentioned maybe it's just survival of the fittest, but...
Still no idea???
I am so sorry to hear you’ve lost #7, Joe I know you’re giving them the best environment! In the wild I’m sure the mortality rate is much higher, as they are part of the food chain after all. Mother Nature is not the benign ‘force’ we like to imagine - she’s a pretty hard b!/@#, sometimes. I also think that schooling fish, like other ‘animals’ that live in groups can detect the weak links, and show them no mercy - except for elephants. But then, elephants have few natural predators, so they can afford to slow down for the sick, injured and old, and even bring them food.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jmaldo im sorry you lost one, you did the right thing removing him though, but you cant help he died in the process.
With bullies its always hard, you need to find what they are protecting, if its food then you need to think about that, if your feeding them cubes perhaps breaking the cube up into small pieces is a better way to feed in that there is lots of food floating around instead of 1 big piece to fight over... If the discus is protecting a pot or ornament you need to remove that object so he cant be territorial over it. If it is just the fact that the dsicus is bossy then yes you need to remove it from the main tank and punish it by putting it alone for a day or two, then place it back in the main tank and see if it has changed it ways. Watching your fish closely will tell you a lot about them, also if they are protecting a mate they will be very aggressive towards the others in the tank, this is when it becomes harder to fix and re-homing might have to be an option in this case. If you check those 4 things ive mentioned you might realize why it happened or be able to stop such things in the future... Can you post a photo of your full tank here for me?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bum deal .
I noticed unusual poop the other day from the Stendker tefe.. I thought the fish was having a prolapse ! Then done and the fish is swimming like before but staying by itself near back of tank ..
Thinking the whole tank needs to be treated with metrodiazanole.Had I not seen this one poop I would be thinking he is just hiding or being a runt ,although not the smallest..
I don't know if it will change anything but thinking of starting this weekend ..Treatment of metro seems easy and safe enough ..Funny is the others seem fine and if I had not seen the poop I would not be thinking of treating ..
I am pretty sure none of us did the standard discus treatment ...Wonder if things would have been different if we did ?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Everyone.
As mentioned with the loss of #8 and now #7. It is just a bit confusing and discouraging at the same time. From all the research I have done and giving these "Discus" the "Best" with water changes, food, etc.. and they get the most attention. I am realizing why the majority of hobbyist say they are the most difficult to keep.
Look at our gang, everyone has a different type of setup from bare bottom to full blown planted tanks. Hard to soft water, high pH to neutral. From "Discus" only tanks to communities, canister filters and UV to just sponge filters. Most of us do 25% to 90% water changes every other day to once or twice a week even 3 times.
No rhyme or reason.
I have had my random losses keeping a wide range of different fish when I first started, but this is getting ridiculous.
I really disagree with a prophylactic treatment. Just use normal "Quarantine" procedures and have not experienced any type of disease in my tanks.(Knock on Wood).
But coralbandit may be on to something.
At this point I am not throwing in the towel but will proceed full speed ahead with caution of course and get the "Planted Community" build going. And continue to be a spectator and see what "Mother Nature" decides.

Learning all the Time.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really sorry you lost another one! I hope that is the end of that for a good long while.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the loss. For me i think your losses are just Mother Nature. Your fish are all from the same hatch. Some are stronger than others. Mine are pairs. The store bought I picked what I thought were the best. The ones I got from Hans were probably the biggest pairs in there tanks. So the chance of a weaker one is less. The fact that I have 12 and a 5’ tank breaks up the bullying and I believe the pairing off.

Coral as to the stringy poop. I’ve seen that a few times and have written it off as just the mucus waste from eating the freeze dried black worms.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The poop was more like fungused food that was not eaten and could easily be mistaken for if not seen hanging out of fish ..
It was not stringy .It was big enough I thought prolapse till it fell off !
Started with 3 teaspoons of Metro today in the 60g..

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
The poop was more like fungused food that was not eaten and could easily be mistaken for if not seen hanging out of fish ..
It was not stringy .It was big enough I thought prolapse till it fell off !
Started with 3 teaspoons of Metro today in the 60g..
Keep us posted! I just ordered some more Metro to have on hand now that I’m getting 3 more. So far there doesn’t seem to be anyone standing out as weaker than the rest, but I’ve only had the 7 in my big tank a little over a month?

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BarbaraLocke said:
Keep us posted! I just ordered some more Metro to have on hand now that I’m getting 3 more. So far there doesn’t seem to be anyone standing out as weaker than the rest, but I’ve only had the 7 in my big tank a little over a month?
Woooah slow down there Barbra lol getting lots of discus now! kidding! Glad everything is working out for you with your ifishstore discus! But just a little heads up (their discus are always on sale)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom