Jmaldo's Discus Build

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
"Thanks" Discus Gang!
Well, I did it?
Decided to give the 29 gallon with #6-7 along with some EBAs and Bolivians a "PP" treatment today before the normal water change. Boy was I nervous :nailbiting:.
All went well. I was so preoccupied with watching the fish for any signs of distress (H2O2 at the ready). I did not get any pics.
Maybe next time.
I followed coralbandit treatment of "2 drops of the solution per gallon of aquarium water to achieve the 2ppm treatment level.
Turned off the canister and turned up the bubblers, the water eventually turned a dark purple. I could still see the fish. Over the course of an hour I watched the fish intently as the color slowly lightened up to a pink then to an amber.
Then started to drain. I drained about half then filled back up with aged water then drained again about 20 gallon. Filled again with aged water. And as mentioned by others the water was so clear it was unreal. And everyone is doing fine. In fact they just got fed.
Whew!
Oh, and here is the thread for anyone not familiar with the "PP" treatment.
Using Potassium Permanganate

Thanks "Tom"

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sort of an Update!
Hmm..
Came home yesterday and noticed a bunch of gravel and small pebbles on the bottom of the tank near the potted RTL.
Well as some of you known, I decided to add some EBA to the tank. It appears I have a pair. They have claimed the potted RTL as their nursery. I saw both of them rearranging, protecting the pot and doing their little spastic shimmy breeding dancing. No real harm but the "Discus" are just a little stressed. It is water change day, decided to rearrange the tank to break up the sight lines. I moved the pot to one end of the tank and added another piece of driftwood. If they spawn I may need to rehome them to their own tank.
And I also may have a pair between #1 and #3, they are constantly together and it appears #1 the Alpha male chases any other suitors away from #3 female?
Let's see what develops?
Learning all the Time.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like they may feed your disc for you ?
I always thought about feeding fry to my breeders but honestly I figure it is like tricking your dog with a fake throw ?
All that time and training to get him or her to fetch the stick and bring it back and then 'the game changes '?? People at the dog park thought my dog was smarter then some people and she was !..It surely wasn't from tricking her ! I figure if you feed fry to fish how will they know the difference when the fry are theirs ?
I mean my angels have done nothing but prove to be the worst parents going ??? If I fed them some other fry would they stop eating theirs? It has only been about ever 14-21 days for over a year now ?:hungry:
My EBA have not spawned in almost 8-10 months !
It is like the EBA torch has been passed ! Blue devil fish be yours !

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The "Discus" are doing fine. And Saturday the 55 gallon is getting the "PP" treatment.
Need to get/post some new pics or vid. Reminder to self.

coralbandit said:
I figure if you feed fry to fish how will they know the difference when the fry are theirs ?
Hmm... Good point/theory. This may have been the problem when I had a pair of Angels spawn. They would eat the eggs or the wigglers. I even tried your "bandit" method to remove the eggs and raise them but I could not get the swimmers past the 2 week mark,

:banghead: Oh Well so much for that idea.

Thanks coralbandit
I am humbled by the torch passing but I could never fill your shoes.

Question?
Now what to do with the EBA pair, really dislike keeping them apart. But they are breeding machines when together and as mentioned the market is saturated.
Should I just remove the eggs until the market is better or just give them away?

Learning all the Time!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can the pair be left with eggs and most will not be raised or are they good parents ??
Them or angels would eat the fry IMO ?
The fish you don't want breed like champs !
Like the longest lived fish in marine tanks is the one you hate but can't catch !

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep them separate is my thought. Worst case you have 100 with no where to go

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit
Yep, the pair I got from you are "Great" parents . But I need to remove one or the other right after the wigglers start swimming because the male beats up on the female. Every-time. I guess I'll become a junior "Bandit" LOL
mbkemp
I have nearly that many now and they eat like little "Piggies". So 4 dozen off to the LFS's tomorrow, the last 2-3 dozen will be offered at the auction in a few weeks.. And the new young pair will be donated to the club for a raffle. As I mentioned the market is saturated, only getting $3 a piece. Last year the average was close to $5 each. They funded my "Discus" journey.
I thought about offering some here. Just not sure of my shipping skills and the hot weather Even though the last fish I sent made it all alive, but one bag leaked. Just not worth the extra effort except for the few members whom have guided me and I trust their fish keeping skills.
Just to much supply and the demand well the bottom fell out?

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I did it again. As mentioned I performed the "PP" treatment on the 55 gallon. Went well @ 2 ppm. And I even have pics...

Start "PP"
Start PP.jpg

After 1 hour
1 hr PP.jpg

After 2 hour
2 hr PP.jpg

After 2.5 hour
2.5 hr PP.jpg

After Water Change and Tank cleaning
55 gallon after PP.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice !
I believe it will have growth benefits in the long run ..

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just an Update...
I have been noticing the Alpha in the 55 gallon getting carried away with his status. Over the past week but especially the last 2 days he has been claiming more and more of the tank. Today was the last straw he has claimed about 2/3rds of the tank and even then swims over to the 4 in the other 1/3rd and still chases. Enough! Yep, I moved him to the 29 gallon and #6-#7 back into the 55 gallon. What a difference, the 6 are doing well even #7 the smallest is not taking any guff from any of the others.

On another note, I just realized its been 3 months since I got these beauties. Yeah!
Now time to get some pics to see how much they have grown.

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will power?
I delivered 2 dozen EBA to the LFS on Friday for store credit. Decided to look around. Very "Good" selection of fish. Quite a few types of Tetras and Rasboras caught my eye. Went back and forth rationalizing the purchase or purchases. Thought I might pick up a dozen or 2 to put in QT to add to the "Discus" tank in the fall. I was this close. Back/forth, I mean had the store associate been close enough I would have purchased some. Finally, decided to wait and see what would be available at the club auction in a couple of weeks. Whew! It was tough.Gave myself a "Pat" on the back.

Anyway, on to the pics, not as clear or as "Good" as others take but here they are.

I think this is a pair they have been cleaning on a potted plant for a day or two. I decided to remove it and now they started cleaning the driftwood.

Pair d2 and d3.jpg

oO8Es7x.jpg

2lwoDLt.jpg

Amano on the same driftwood

Amano.jpg

Attachments

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You got eggs coming IMO ..
They look to be a good pair ..
The bossy behavior could be breeding activity ?
All disc look good !

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Funny looking closer at the first pic of the two powder blues the female has a black rim on fins just like my blue snakeskin female that has laid eggs 3 times now..
The black band looks cool whether it is good or bad IMO ..
Give them a cone or upside down flowerpot !

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, the fish whisperer coralbandit called it.
Last night just chillen with a few cold Rolling Rocks and an Iced Potato Vodka on the side. Looked over at the tank and... I was able to catch them in action.
That's right I have my first spawn between #2 and #4.

Discus spawn 9219.jpg

Lights have not come on yet this AM. But lets see what develops.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
Last night just chillen with a few cold Rolling Rocks and an Iced Potato Vodka on the side. Looked over at the tank and... I was able to catch them in action.

Discus spawn 9219.jpg

Wonderful! Maybe I’ll be next! lol I am completely fine with them waiting a little longer though! lol congrats! what is your tank temp at?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
84-85
Now, I need advise. Of course I am not ready and this spawn has upset the balance in the tank.
Should I move them to a 10 gallon? And see what happens or leave them be and let Mother Nature do her thing.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
84-85
Now, I need advise. Of course I am not ready and this spawn has upset the balance in the tank.
Should I move them to a 10 gallon? And see what happens or leave them be and let Mother Nature do her thing.
If you’re unprepared I would recommend leaving them in the tank. More than likely they will be eaten. However if you are lucky enough the parents will do all the work for you. Knowing you have a baby brine hatchery I wouldn’t worry too much. You can always supplement for the babies food if things go further than you expected.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well congrats!! And sorry to here. Yeah what to do now. If they’re not bothering the rest of the discus just leave them be. If you are planning on breeding letting them breed a few times in that tank should only help them in the long run. Your options will be either move them or all the rest to another tank. If breeding you will need some more tanks. I’d go with at least 20s. Maybe 3 or 2 20s and a 40 breeder to grow them out. Good luck . You and coral may be putting Hans out of business.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmaldo said:

Discus spawn 9219.jpg

Woo Hoo, jmaldo!! You and coralbandit are certainly doing something right!! Your blues are gorgeous, so you’d better prepare for setting up business with them! I’m hoping my 2 Hans Turqs are a pair, but then I’d need more tanks!

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow congrats! Looks like its the time of year for babies! Id leave them be, if they hatch you can move them like i did the Angel babies, if they are the same as Angels you have about 5 days until they hatch so plenty of time to set something up for them and the parents

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads