Jmaldo's Discus Build

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmaldo said:
A Tough Update.
Sadly, #8 has passed. Checked on them this AM, I saw #6-7 in the front of the tank but #8 was still hiding. After dinner, went to do their w/c and found #8 lifeless on the bottom. Immediately scooped it out and proceeded to the w/c and through cleaning. I did get a sample of water to test. 0/0/5 TDS 165 Temp 85. #8 was the runt, I suppose I waited to long to move it, or not? :banghead: Not sure at this point, I doubt I'll never know.
That makes 4 of the gang losing 1 in 2 weeks.
Just a horrible feeling all around.

Learning all the Time.
Oh, jmaldo, I am so sorry for your loss!! Geesh, this has been a terrible week for the gang! I think it was you who asked me earlier if I had called Hans about the one I lost. I emailed him with a detailed description of the event, but he has not replied. I debated calling him today, but the article you found about the ‘dashing Discus disorder’ pretty much covered all the possibilities - including NKR (no known reason). Sigh.... hope this is the last of the bad news.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to here. Folks this is what happens. Unforunatly there are going to be losses. Jmaldo im not surprised you lost one. All of yours are from the same hatch. So it’s just survival of the fittest. Reason why I got different types of fish from Hans. As an online breeder he’s going to send you the better fish and not the runts. He wants good feedback. But when you buy a group your getting what he has best to worst. Also I like different colors . The dude did the same thing and his weakest also died. Again that’s just survival of the fittest.

From the fish I bought from Hans my biggest than is now my runt. It eats but just enough to live. Maybe because my fish are all different I don’t have the aggression in my tank and the others just leave him alone. But he is now almost half the size of some of the others so his time is numbered. Should I move him? Hasn’t worked for others yet. Babara I’m hoping yours works because I may go that route. My lfs has some discus and I may team him up with one of there’s if yours continue to do good. This is why this group really works. Because we get ideas from each other.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
Sorry to here. Folks this is what happens. Unforunatly there are going to be losses. Jmaldo im not surprised you lost one. All of yours are from the same hatch. So it’s just survival of the fittest. Reason why I got different types of fish from Hans. As an online breeder he’s going to send you the better fish and not the runts. He wants good feedback. But when you buy a group your getting what he has best to worst. Also I like different colors . The dude did the same thing and his weakest also died. Again that’s just survival of the fittest.

From the fish I bought from Hans my biggest than is now my runt. It eats but just enough to live. Maybe because my fish are all different I don’t have the aggression in my tank and the others just leave him alone. But he is now almost half the size of some of the others so his time is numbered. Should I move him? Hasn’t worked for others yet. Babara I’m hoping yours works because I may go that route. My lfs has some discus and I may team him up with one of there’s if yours continue to do good. This is why this group really works. Because we get ideas from each other.
I agree, 86 ssinit, that that seemed to be what was happening with my outcast. He wasn’t getting terribly bullied, when I was watching anyway, but he just didn’t seem to have the will to live with the other 3. What has happened now is like the ‘kick the dog’ syndrome - he was the weakest in his (forced) group, and now he’s the biggest and getting stronger every day! I’ll have to say that little Arlo must have good genes, ‘cause he’s getting out of Outcast’s way, but still goes after the food. I love that I can stick the blackworm cubes to the glass, and they stay put even until just a few are left. I break a cube into quarters, and put one on one side of the tank, an another out of the line-of-sight on the other side. Everything is good, so far . The Turqs are doing really well, and if one is the boss, you’d never know. They swim together, eat together, and hang in the cave together. Even though I stick their blackworm cubes in two different places, they both peck at one, then move together over to the other one. I don’t know what will happen when I move Outcast and Arlo back into the big tank, but I kinda think that the Flachen who freaked out and died might have been the dominant one, and maybe the temperaments of the Turqs are more the placid follower type. At least I hope so!

You got me thinking about how we humans make all the decisions for our animals, and yet many kinds of animals mate for life (as do Discus), and can form bonds which are obvious. They will also become very distressed if separated from their mate or buddy. So how do we know if some of our fish that fail to thrive were taken away from their buddy when they were plucked from the tank and shipped far away? I don’t know what age Discus are when they look for a mate, but it’s my guess that these young ones that we buy are kept in large schools, and only the 5” ones are watched to see if any pair off. I’ll stop rambling now

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
"Thanks" Everyone. Some of the theory's proposed give me pause. We try our best and sometimes it just happens for whatever reason. It may be we are overthinking it. Then again we just may not understand. We have taken a fish that should be in nature thriving with thousands of gallons of water. And we make a feeble attempt and try our best to duplicate it. Throw filters, water changes, special foods and chemicals and what not at a problem we are just guessing at trying to solve. And there is "Mother Nature" just laughing at us.
All I can do at this point is accept the loss and do my best not to have anymore.
Is it possible?
Time will tell.
I just may take the approach "Tom" coralbandit mentioned, Treat them as any other fish.
Anyway, all the rambling aside. I still have 7.
Learning all the time.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My approach after loosing one is that if I lost one swordtail out of 10 I would not think I was doing so bad ?
Sorry you lost one Joe .
My two dominants are doing fine in their own tank and others seem fine also back in the original tank so ?
Not sure if they get moved back together or not ?

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry that you lost one mate.

I think you need to try to set yourself free from your starting point. I assume you bought 8 and expected to end up with 8? I bought 42 at 3" and I was absolutely certain I wouldn't end up with 42. Still annoys me to lose fish along the way but mainly when it is a supposedly "healthy" one whereas the many runts and stunted fish lost didn't give me the same grievance, more like acceptance of mother nature. Makes sense?

Now do the best for the remaining 7 as I know you will and hopefully this is the only loss. Best of luck.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Better Update.
#6-7 in the 29 gallon appear to have settled in. At least they are not swimming to hide when they see me as much now. Even after their w/c Friday night they came out and are eating. As far as the other 5, they are doing well, Also, I thought I had the tank top sealed fairly well but noticed a couple Hatchets missing. Found them behind the stand. Maybe not the right choice. But.. I have them now,

Learning all the Time.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, food (FDBW) is on the way. Looks like I will not need to raid your freezer after all coralbandit
Oh, by the way the 7 are doing fine.
:;bananawater:;bananawater:;bananawater

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol mine is also on its way. So I ordered more .

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I mentioned this in 86 ssinit thread but want it here:
"I decided to my Discus some Frozen Blood worms to change it up. (getting low on the cubes). It appears I made a mistake or I over did it. They now prefer the blood worms, somewhat ignore the cubes for the past week, they are still eating them but not as they did. So, now I am weaning them off the blood worms. They also started eating the Diskus Gold crumbles and Discus Granules."
Anyway,
So, I visited my LFS today, needed some more frozen food (Bloodworms and Brine shrimp) and of course see if I can sell some more EBA to him. He will take a couple dozen of the larger ones. Yea!, but mentioned the market is saturated with cichlids. Even his wholesalers are offering deals. Not good for me.
Had a nice discussion. Live foods Brine shrimp grow outs and blackworm farming. He tried the blackworms not a success.
Anyway, I have a beautiful EBA breeding pair from coralbandit that unless I keep them separate they breed almost non stop. And since the market is down.
Here is my idea, I know I might get some down votes but I am thinking of putting the EBA pair back together and let them spawn and feed the swimmers and fry to the Discus. I have done this before with Angels when I kept them and was overrun with Guppy fry. The Angels enjoyed chasing them and "Grew" like crazy.
So Discus gang, all comments "Welcome".

And the 7 are doing fine.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally I wouldn't do that, I couldn't do it, id feel bad lol.. I would just leave the EBA pair apart in separate tanks so you don't get fry, simple

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Live food is the best !
Funny on the EBA,my remaining 3 adults that have been my breeders have not spawned in over 6 months ???
Maybe the clown loaches just eat the eggs quickly?

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Being a farmer most of my life, I’ve raised animals for food out of necessity, and honored their sacrifice. The key being ‘out of necessity’....

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
New addition?
Quanvee Fluidized Moving Bed Filter. I saw this awhile back kinda forgot about it but a well-known member DarkOne started using it. Thanks for the reminder!
So I figured I give it try.
Just some pics. Check out the EBAs as soon as I installed it they swam right up thinking the moving media is food. LOL
Bubbler Bio Filter.jpg

EBA and Filter.jpg
And lastly a co-worker was kind enough to bring a cake to work. She remembered I am a fish guy. So thoughtful!
Birthday Cake.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Happy Birthday Joe !

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Happy Birthday! That cake is so cool haha

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday!!!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Happy Birthday.

I see no problem with feeding them fry. I do feed my culled cherry shrimp to them. Only thing would be they will probably eat small tetras later. So they would be a no go on the dither fish list.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Happy Birthday, Joe !! Your cake looks too beautiful to eat

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads