Jmaldo's Breeding Journey

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Should have done this when I stumbled into breeding about a year ago but... A few of you may know my story, but here goes for the others. Have had success with Bolivian Rams (200+) even a few members have their offspring. Dave125g Ohio Mark hair_hippie81
Have about 50+ fry right now.

Bolivians.jpg

Ram Fry 2 months young.jpg

Have had Angel spawns, no viable fry as of yet they are young new parents..
They just spawned for the 5th time about 2 weeks ago, right now I have about 30 swimmers in a 1gal tank.
Angel egg hatchery.jpg

See thread here:
Help - First Angelfish Spawn
Will update (see if I can merge the threads)

I have been following Lchi87 threads and admiring her Electric Blue Acara and the extended family. Quite a few members have her offspring. Tried to get a pair but ... Decided to purchase a pair from coralbandit. Very Beautiful and healthy.They are in a 33L QT for a week now. kinda of shy at first but that's to be expected.

EBA Pair.jpg

So they finally decided its safe and they must like their new home they even come up to "Greet" me. I really think its just begging for their food. On Tuesday of this week I noticed the female hiding towards the back behind a piece of driftwood. Then again yesterday. Well, decided to see if she is alright.
This is what I found.

Spawn 1.jpg

Spwan.jpg

@coralbandit did mention they were a good breeding pair. Just surprised they spawned so quickly.

Thanks to all for their help, guidance and sharing their trials and tribulations. Without all of you the success I have had would not have been possible. Updates to follow.

Ohio Mark

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are doing something right!! Happy for your success and still enjoying the Bolivian Rams I got from you!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the breeding success

Its quite common for fish to spawn after being moved. Whether it be shipped, or moved to a different tank, or simply getting an extra large water change. I am not surprised they spawned already I am hoping to get the same results from the black rams that are coming in the mail today!

I hope they do well for you!!

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
Eggs already !
Nice !
Yes and each taking turns protecting.
I was getting some BBS for the Angel fry and the setup is near the EBA tank. The male saw me and charged then the female. I am going to leave the eggs with the parents. See how it goes.

coralbandit
Thanks again .

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I went to check on the eggs, kinda of disappointed when I noticed very few eggs on the driftwood. Figured they ate them but...As I was looking for the parents, can anybody say "Wigglers". They decided to dig a pit and moved them. I took a few pics but the camera could not focus on the wiggling mass.

mbkemp
I have shipped a few to members here and another forum. Still learning but if and when they are ready, I'll let you know.

mbkemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you! I am on the fence. Aquaticlarity has some wild Bolivians that I am really liking a bunch. Yours look really nice also!

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update.
The Angel fry population has went from 30+ to just 5 decided to move them out of the hatchery. Just a theory but it appears I was not providing enough food. The BBS hatch rate was disappointing. I was using some older eggs. Time will tell.

The EBA are still a wiggling mass, the parents have moved them now for the 4th time from pit to pit. Have the BBS going again using new eggs now. Hopefully the timing works out.

The Bolivian Ram fry are just swarming the tank, fun to see all the sparing and I call it flaring going on.
"Kids" they are so much fun to watch.

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update! :;bananawater
I have a cloud of EBA swimmers, just started them on some BBS. Kinda of blurry pics, but just have to share. In the last pic, kept getting photobombed by the mom in the rear and dad in the front protecting them from me. It is hilarious watching the the parents go after the escapees sucking them up and then spitting them back into the their playpen behind the driftwood.
And by the way, the 50+ Bolivian fry are growing fine, I do have 4 "tiny" fry from my Angel spawn annddd I think a few of the Japan Blue Endlers females I got from Mcasella are pregnant. Yeah!!!

EBA swimmers.jpg

EBA swimmers1.jpg

Parents Guarding.jpg

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on all the spawning! You're definitely doing a good job

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update!
EBA fry @ 2 weeks feeding frenzy (BBS and Golden Pearls).
EBA 2 week.jpg

And the Bolivian Fry are just growing and growing. Pic to come.

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Need assistance -Help!! @coaralbandit Lchi87 bizaliz3 tfreemaDarkOne Dave125g
EBA pair - Curious behavior? Yesterday, I noticed only the male with the cloud of fry. Found the female hiding on the other side of the tank. Dropped some pellets in to coax her out. When she finally came out of hiding the male saw her and started chasing her. Then she went into hiding again. Well again today same issue. I have witnessed this same behavior with my Bolivian Ram pair. Then all is well. Should I be concerned with the EBA pair?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard for me to say as I don't leave fry with my EBA.
Parenting can make some fish have some odd/bad behavior IMO.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its typical! Sully and Boo would sometimes have trouble deciding whose turn it was to watch the kids lol.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea if 1 is protecting the fry it will even protect them from the other mate. If it really becomes an issue you may have to take her out.

New Threads