55 Gallon Tank Jmaldo's African Cichlid Build - Page 6

jmaldo

Been a couple of weeks, everyone doing fine. Noticed something, well maybe not odd but... I have Clown Loaches with the African males. I have been dropping in some bladder snails for them and the Africans pounce on them they are very small. But no idea the Africans would eat them. It happened again today, still surprised.

jmaldo

Well it appears I will have a supply of live food for the Africans. I moved my EBA pair from the grow-out tank a few weeks ago along with a cave one of my L183 had claimed. Normally they lay the eggs on flat rocks.
Surprisingly, this time the spawn was in a cave. I noticed the last few days the pair would swim inside. Broke out the flashlight and found some swimmers.
The cave was purchased from Mcasella the hole is medium size and the EBA pair do enter/exit fairly easy.
Here is a pic when it was in the 55g.

Africans.jpg

jmaldo

Took some pics last night
55g with African Males

African Male 55g 41721.jpg

Male Africans 41721.jpg

Africans 41721.jpg

And since I sold the 4 dozen EBA, I moved the VC 10 Haps to their own tank.

VC 10 Haps 41721.jpg

Basil

Wow! They are all stunning!

BigBeardDaHuZi

They are looking fantastic!

jmaldo

Sort of an Update. The males are doing fine along with the females.
One of my LFS's have shown some interest in my females, Yeah! Here are some pics I sent to them.

Africans 5221.jpg

Africans 1 5221.jpg

OB African.jpg

Also the Placidochromis Milomo have settled and enjoying the less crowded 29g.

VC-10 Haps 5221.jpg

jmaldo

Yesterday feeding the female tank I noticed one of my Haps looked to be wedged between a sponge filter and the glass. Thought the worst of course, so I moved the sponge. It was fine, but... to my surprise a juvenile about 1/2" was hiding under the sponge. What? It appears I do have a male in the female tank. It might be an "OB". Just to hard to tell. Later on my son noticed a 2nd one about 1/4" in size.
Will need to investigate further this weekend, and hopefully get some pics.

jmaldo

Well I moved them to a tank with Mystery snails. After about an hour they started palling around together swimming out in the open. Gave them some fry powder and golden pearls, tried to get some pics but....
Try try again.
Still "Very" surprised they survived. Based on the two different sizes, I'm thinking their from 2 different spawns?
Mother Nature at it's finest.

jmaldo

Today watching the tank noticed 2 Electric Blue Haps sparing for awhile, they lip locked for a good 1-2 minutes. Sadly could not get the camera in time. But here are some pics.

Sparing Males.jpg

Sparing Males 1.jpg

Sparing 2.jpg

Alpha Male.jpg

Sparing with Alpha.jpg

Africans.jpg

Still trying to get clear shots of the fry. Try try again.

A201

I've seen that sort of thing before. Lol.

20210528_202815.jpg

jmaldo

Finally pics of the fry, small one close to 1/2" size compared to intake. The big one nearly 3/4". Both zoomed in of course.
Small

fry small.jpg

Big

fry big.jpg

jmaldo

Well the fry are doing fine. Yesterday after tank maintenance on the 55g the Synodontis lucipinnis were out and about. Got some pics, best I could manage...

SL1.jpg

Synodontis lucipinnis1.jpg

Synodontis lucipinnis2.jpg

Dechi

So cute !

jmaldo

Just a couple of pics from last night, as you can see I have "BBA"

African  Tank 61221.jpg

Clown.jpg

Natalie666

That clown loach looks very happy and well fed

jmaldo

Pics a few hours after water change... 6/20/21

SAE.jpg

OB.jpg

Group.jpg

Benga.jpg

55g 62021.jpg
Just for reference the ceramic driftwood/cave in the pics is 6+ inches long.

A201

My favorite is the awsome Sunshine Aulonocara.

Pwilly07

Pics a few hours after water change... 6/20/21

SAE.jpg

OB.jpg

Group.jpg

Benga.jpg

55g 62021.jpg
Just for reference the ceramic driftwood/cave in the pics is 6+ inches long.
Loving this tank!!

Lebeeze

Clown Loaches are slow growers & chances are they will be fine for quite a while in the 55 g.
If I'm not mistaken, Coral Bandit has kept a good sized group of CL's in his 180 g. for many years. No giants yet.
Since your planned community will consist mostly of Peacocks & Haps, really no need for an XL elevated hardscape. Allow plenty of swimming room above and around the rocks.
Mbuna would require a much larger reef.
I have 6 clown loaches in my african cichlid tank 135 gallon. They literally have grown maybe 1" to 1.5" in the 7 to 8 months I've had them. Definitely the slowest growing fish I've ever owned.

jmaldo

My favorite is the awsome Sunshine Aulonocara.
He is the largest and the coloring well even the pics do not show the minuet details. I am pondering trying to breed them. I do have 2 females in the female tank.
What do you think about the ratio and putting them in a 33Long ?

A201

It all sounds good. Likely no problems
with the breeding operation.
They are selling adult male Peacocks for $50 - $60 a piece in my area, if you can find them. Stock on about anything is low.

A201

They lined up very well for the pic. Mine don't behave so nicely. Lol

Lucy

They did pose well! Such lovely fish.

jmaldo

Wow!
Nearly a month since an update. Everybody is doing fine. I did notice quite a bit of sparing and aggression a few weeks ago. Well it does appear I made a mistake with one of the Otter Point Jake Peacocks thought it was a male turns out just a very colorful female. Once I removed her things appear to be much calmer. Oh, during water change and tank maintenance today, I added some "Vals". I tried last year but they tore them up. Fingers-crossed they make it this time...
Here is a corner shot with the "Vals"

African 55g with Vals.jpg

jmaldo

Well, here are of couple of pics during water change today. The "Boys" really enjoy swimming in the current created by the python and outflow of the canisters...

Filling Tank.jpg

Filling Tank 1.jpg

Sadly the "Vals" not doing so good, will keep trying...

jmaldo

Well, well, well...
Woke up this AM and when the light came on I found a Electric Blue Hap did some interior decorating and still at it.

Electric Blue Hap pit.jpg

Look at the pit he dug overnight.
He has claimed this area, has removed 2-3 inches of sand to other areas.
Nearly buried the intake in the back corner. Also, he knocked down the thermometer. And he moves any snails that wander into his area or on the glass.
For reference look at the 2nd pic in post #226 to see how much sand he moved.

While typing this take a look at what he has done in about 1/2 hour..
The thermometer has slid into the pit and he is trying to move it.

EBH 30 mins later.jpg

Well, its time to move the sand back, I'll post pics again with a pic when I move the sand back and see what he does tomorrow.

Stay Tuned....

A201

I had eight years of filling in African Cichlid excavations. Needed a rest.
Barbs, Tetras & Botia Loaches rarely dig. Lol.

Lebeeze

You should leave it alone. He spent so much time digging his hole let him enjoy it.

jmaldo

Well he is still at it,

Yesterday after repairs

Yesterday after repairs.jpg

This Mornings results

This Mornings results.jpg

Still at it

At it again.jpg

LOL!

tfreema

Bad fish! Brings back memories of when I had an Mbuna tank.

I would lift that intake basket up a few inches. Sucking up sand will kill the filter.

Lucy

Well, well, well...
Woke up this AM and when the light came on I found a Electric Blue Hap did some interior decorating and still at it.

Electric Blue Hap pit.jpg

Look at the pit he dug overnight.
Loving the look on his face
He's like Who Me? :hilarious:

jmaldo

Ended up doing some hardscape shuffling on Sunday, and now I have 2 males moving sand and 2 pits. Trying to get a vid of them in action. Fingers-crossed.

"And now the movie folks"

jmaldo

Update
I have noticed this past week the Alpha Electric Blue Hap interior decorator would protect the area then shoot straight across the tank and harass the others whom were gathered peacefully together due to him. Enough!
So this morning during water change the Electric Blue Haps have been moved to other tanks, just tired of them claiming areas and bullying the other inhabitants. Just about an hour ago, moved the group of "5" Super VC-10 Hap. Scientific name: Placidochromis Milomo to the 55g everything appears fine. Will see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

VC10s in 55g African.jpg

VC10s in 55g African 1.jpg

Basil

You are totally convincing me to stick to my calm and semi-calm Asian fish lol!
Although I fell in love with yellow labs, and thought about setting up my empty 75 as an African tank, I think I’ll be much happier with a loach/rasbora upgrade tank. Lol!
I’ve had enough aggression from my sparkling gourami, thank you very much! :D
But they sure are lovely fish!

jmaldo

Things have calmed down. The addition of the VC-10's appear to have changed the overall temperament of the inhabitants. Only been a week, but so far more of a "Community" vibe tank. None of the other fish have tried to claim an area. Time will tell...
As far as the Alpha Electric Blue Hap, he is now in a 29g, I also gave him a harem of 4 females, see what develops....

On another note, it's been a year since I started this build. Learned quite a bit.
During my research it was always mentioned over and over. Need to "Overstock" African tanks and keep only males together due to "Aggression" issues. Of course it did not make sense since dealing with most other species we are always told to not overstock a tank...

Witnessing it first hand has been an eye opening experience.

jmaldo

The VC-10's have integrated well, but I have noticed they do not like the Ramshorn snails or they are trying to peck at them thinking they are food?
I've noticed and heard them actually knocking them off the glass. A few times it really startled me thinking something happen to the tank.

Maybe I'll get some pics after water changes...

jmaldo

Yesterday noticed some commotion, saw a Clown Loach had a Ramshorn snail. Tried to get some pics, it was swimming around so fast and of course the other inhabitants were photo bombing. Here the best of not so good 200+ clicks.

Clown ramshorn snail.jpg

Clown ramshorn snail 2.jpg

Oh, and the Africans are doing fine.

jmaldo

Just some pics...All 4"+

Electric Blue Hap 102321.jpg

Benga 102321.jpg

OB 102321.jpg

A201

Wow, things have gone very well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies