Jleem's 5.5 Gallon Tanks

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never could bring myself to do it. With my failing betta, I moved him to a shallow tub (holds about 3 gallons completely full but has a large surface area because it was wide), only filled it up half way, put a silk plant on its side and added an airstone. I did 100% water changes every couple of days. He did much better in the shallow water and actually perked up for a few more months.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Still holding out hope guys. I may even have some good news.

Two days ago, I went ahead and picked up a bottle of clove oil. However, before going through with it, I decided to try Kanaplex as a last ditch effort. Today, two days after a single Kanaplex dose, Endymion is more active, eating much easier, and actually actively swimming in the water column for short periods of time. I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but it's so much better than two days ago.

Now, what is worrying me is I noticed he does have a pudge showing up now even though I've tried fasting. On the sides of this pudge I can see some pinecone scales. Which obviously sounds like the dreaded dropsy.

With his improvement though, I have a hard time believing that's what this is. Could it be from a bacterial infection that may be starting to heal?

Here's a current picture from tonight. Much better than the last picture I shared.
IMG_20190524_233423323.jpg

gorejusdesign

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ghost seems perfect! Enjoy your new double tail betta, I have one too, his name is Elmer Twitchy McFlaren.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gorejusdesign said:
Ghost seems perfect! Enjoy your new double tail betta, I have one too, his name is Elmer Twitchy McFlaren.
Well he's not really new anymore. This thread was started about a year ago. He ended up being named Sephiroth. Oh, and the solid white fish is now black and purple. Haha!

gorejusdesign

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JLeeM said:
Well he's not really new anymore. This thread was started about a year ago. He ended up being named Sephiroth. Oh, and the solid white fish is now black and purple. Haha!
Oh wow, sorry, still a newbie here learning my way, lol.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
gorejusdesign said:
Oh wow, sorry, still a newbie here learning my way, lol.
It's okay. We were all new once. Enjoy the forum!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good news and news for this thread today.

Bad news first.
Sephiroth, my prized purple betta bloated up seemingly overnight here a while back. Grotesquely bloated. So I fasted him for twi days, and it seemed to improve a little. So o. day three, I thought about getting some natural laxative a little better than a pea or maybe some epsom salt for a bath. Before I had a chance that day he died suddenly. Not really sure why this happened. Especially since he was the more active and stronger betta out of my two. He'll be missed. Might get another before long.

Good news.
I may have not gotten Sephiroth's tank to grow any plants very well. On the other hand, Endymion's.....

IMG_20190829_152535240.jpg

Probably going to take some of this strong growing anacharis to start some anew in the other one when I get another betta. Or whatever else I may decide to put in there.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore family!!!

Life has gotten very hectic lately due to getting a second job that is not working out. In the process of getting a different second job to replace it. That's not fun talk though, and I wanted to actually share something again tonight (and maybe something fun on another one of my threads too but no promises).

Unfortunately, to start off I have to recap some bad news, then share some good, bad, more bad, and then finally some good.

First bad: A couple posts back, some may remember (or just go back and read) I lost Sephiroth, my prized purple twin tail betta.

First good: Some time later, I found a special little betta that I have specifically been searching for for a LONG time. I picked up a solid black (silver accented) female crowntail betta. There is a reason why I wanted this exact fish, but I'm not sharing yet because.....

More bad: The VERY next day, I came home from work and found her dead. After searching for approximately 6 months for her. I didn't even get a picture of her guys.

Even more bad: A couple days ago, I found Endymion, my red, white, and blue halfmoon dead. I've honestly been expecting this for a while because he's always been more on the weak and lazy side. I'm surprised he outlived Sephiroth, by being older to begin with and living longer.

Newest and good news: So I have two "betta" tanks at this point with no betta. One has a couple mystery snails and a pair of guppies, and the other has 4 ottos. Not ideal in either case I know, don't fish police me. Anyway, I found a new betta, in a variety I have not kept before. I got a male crowntail that is going in Sephiroth's old tank in the living room. Here he is acclimating....

IMG_20191026_222426302.jpg

In person that is actually a gray color with orange finnage. I've thought about naming him Ember or Cinder since he looks like a flame. I can't decide which I like better. Or does anyone have a different idea?

Endymion's old tank will continue to hold the ottos for a while so I can continue my search for my black female crowntail. Oh, and yes, moved the guppies out of the tank the new male went into.

Thanks for reading if you made it all the way through!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom