Jleem's 5.5 Gallon Tanks

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everybody! It's been a while since I've been on much, but I'm still here. I got a bunch of fish stuff for Christmas, so time to start updating.

Today I FINALLY upgraded Sephiroth's tank. He got a sponge filter in place of the HOB, a new light, new glass top, and a couple plants. Hoping for the best.

Unfortunately, I had to completely remove the HOB instead of running it with the new sponge filter to help cycle it due to the vinyl strip on the lid. I didn't want to cut a huge hole to accommodate the HOB to only have it gaping open once the filter was removed. I also didn't want a big open slot along the whole back wall and risk him jumping out. I did remove a piece of the sponge media and tuck it behind the sponge filter though. Once again, hoping for the best. It's odd how different it looks without that intake tube.

For plants, he got an anubias nana, and a "rosette sword". The sword is a lot different from other rosettes I've had though. Maybe grown differently? I don't know, but it may get replaced. He also still has his two moss balls, and the two artificial plants (until I know I can get something grow and get more).

I'm honestly surprised at how active he is after all the changes. He seems happier now.

Now for pictures!

Before (old picture but nothing had changed besides the pathetic strand of anacharis dying a long time ago)
IMG_20180807_204310151.jpg

After
IMG_20181229_221333622.jpg

And this is the sponge filter I used
IMG_20181229_224341536.jpg

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello again!

I got my other betta tank decked out. I actually did it the very next day after the above one, but haven't had time to share pictures.

Quick recap: Traded HOB for sponge filter, traded basic hood for glass top and light bar, and planted a rosette sword and anubias congensis. I much rather prefer the nana in the other betta tank over this congensis.

Before
IMG_20181004_022025461.jpg

After
IMG_20181231_105107465.jpg

Close up frontal of Endymion
IMG_20181231_105122974.jpg

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm realizing that I'm not super good at updating my tank journals. Hopefully that's okay. Especially since it seems like I don't have many followers.

Anyway, tonight I would like to share an update on my boy, Sephiroth.

For any new readers, or for a recap to those already following, he looked like this at time of purchase on 5-25-2018.

IMG_20180527_102610689_HDR~3.jpg

If you really want to see his progression in color change, I suggest you start reading from the beginning. Just look for pictures along the way if you don't want to actually read everything, which I won't blame you for.

Anyway, here a little while back, my girlfriend got an awesome picture of him with his (at the time) new anubias plant. Regrettably, he does have some finrot in this picture. I'm almost ashamed to share it. Admittance of mistakes is part of learning though.

Spoiler Alert: New readers are about to see the end of color progression.

Better and healthier news coming up.

This is the same fish.

7547~2.jpeg

The past 2-3 weeks I've been diligently revamping my aquarium maintenance game. Had a pretty lengthy period of health problems. Sounds like an excuse I know, but still.....I'm trying a lot harder now.

This is a picture from tonight, 3-14-2019, showing off that wonderful purple finnage and his ongoing healing from the rot. Even if his body is a little blurry in the picture.

IMG_20190314_230521997.jpg

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nice

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No one would guess that was the same fish. That's a huge change in coloration!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don’t believe it

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Few small changes in both betta tanks.

First of all, I recently had to pretty much recycle all of my tanks. Of course, the two 5 gallons took the absolute longest. That's still so strange to me.

Secondly, what caused the cycle crashes in these two tanks I'm pretty sure was the huge overhauls I did on cleaning to clear out cyano. Still not sure if the anubias or rosette swords in either tank are going to bounce back or not.

Third, Endymion's tank (the red and blue betta; usually the second tank in picture sharing) is now having a huge diatom problem. Probably because, since his tank is much newer, it never had the chance to do so before the cyano.

Fourth, due to recycling, both tanks are having some trouble with hair algae. So I'm definitely going to have to stay on my water changes. They both have a Nicrew light set to 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 on, and then 12 off. Sephiroth's tank has a dimmer switch though that has his light dialed down to a little over half power. It may be wishful thinking, but I think his tank looks a lot better. Also, today I picked up some ghost shrimp to hopefully help a bit (or be a nice protein boost.....either way helps I guess). They were the first drip acclimation I've ever done. It was a lot easier than I expected. Hoping to keep them alive longer than my ghosts from the past (pun intended).

Fifth, (yeah I know I'm getting a bit long winded; sorry), I ordered 6 nano moss balls a little while back and split them between the tanks and added a bit of floating anacgaria to both today.

Without further rambling, it's picture time. It almost hurts to share these with the state they're in. Take the bad with the good though.....right?

Sephiroth's tank
IMG_20190327_232337100.jpg

Endymion's tank
IMG_20190327_232506674.jpg

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nice

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know how you feel but the tanks look great and you're doing a great job. Ugh... But I do know how algae woes feel. Thought I'd give myself a break from that with drier tanks... terrariums. Yesterday I found mold growing on the plant I like the most, which is also the only plant I'm struggling with.:shifty: Darnit! I see Begonia Rex thriving in lots of other terrariums. Sympathies my friend.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Easiest way to get rid of cyano is EM Erythromycin. 1/2 dose will clear it up in 2-3 days.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
stella1979 said:
I know how you feel but the tanks look great and you're doing a great job. Ugh... But I do know how algae woes feel. Thought I'd give myself a break from that with drier tanks... terrariums. Yesterday I found mold growing on the plant I like the most, which is also the only plant I'm struggling with.:shifty: Darnit! I see Begonia Rex thriving in lots of other terrariums. Sympathies my friend.
Perfectionism is definitely not a common thing with the hobby is it? Lol.

I saw your post about your little crested gecko. I've been thinking about getting another reptile myself, but that's a different story. Especially since I've already committed myself to setting up another fish tank.

DarkOne said:
Easiest way to get rid of cyano is EM Erythromycin. 1/2 dose will clear it up in 2-3 days.
I read that, but also saw where a lot of people had no luck with it. Something about a resistant strain. I tried Ultralife blue green spine remover out of desperation. Seems to have worked. I'll keep the Erythromycin in mind though for next time.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys. Just trying to figure out how to share videos from YouTube. Not sure if this is about to work or not.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay.... I think it did. Let me know if you guys can watch it or not.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yup it works!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm going to just get the bad news out of the way first.

I'm pretty sure Endymion is on his way out guys. He's always been a very lazy betta, but the past week or so has gotten really bad. The past couple days it's gotten to where he won't even eat hardly. This is him pretty much any time I look in his tank.

IMG_20190506_233312103.jpg

I'm about to test all the water parameters just to check and be sure everything is okay. Water changes have been on par for a while now, but this tank has thrown a curveball before.

Better, or at least more interesting news, I got this for $10 off of someone on FB Marketplace. Regularly $25.

IMG_20190508_080058657.jpg

So, there may be a substrate change in the near future for at least one betta tank. I really wanted to do Endymion's tank, but thinking that's not a good idea right now with his condition. I may wait and see if he improves before doing anything with the new substrate. That could give me time to get some nice quality root feeding plants too.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JLeeM said:
So I'm going to just get the bad news out of the way first.

I'm pretty sure Endymion is on his way out guys. He's always been a very lazy betta, but the past week or so has gotten really bad. The past couple days it's gotten to where he won't even eat hardly. This is him pretty much any time I look in his tank.

IMG_20190506_233312103.jpg

I'm about to test all the water parameters just to check and be sure everything is okay. Water changes have been on par for a while now, but this tank has thrown a curveball before.

Better, or at least more interesting news, I got this for $10 off of someone on FB Marketplace. Regularly $25.

IMG_20190508_080058657.jpg

So, there may be a substrate change in the near future for at least one betta tank. I really wanted to do Endymion's tank, but thinking that's not a good idea right now with his condition. I may wait and see if he improves before doing anything with the new substrate. That could give me time to get some nice quality root feeding plants too.
I am sorry to hear about this guy, we really enjoyed watching your updates with him

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, so sorry to hear this!

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry about your betta. I just lost my last betta, Kane, this weekend. He was 4? 5?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Galathiel said:
So sorry about your betta. I just lost my last betta, Kane, this weekend. He was 4? 5?
Oh wow. This one is only about 2. Not going to lie, he's had a few bumps in the road with me though. Partly being newer to the hobby.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, so this post is to ask for some people's opinions and advice.

Endymion is still hanging in there. He does not look good at all though. Still constantly laying around flat on the substrate. He'll sometimes come up to the surface for food, but it looks very difficult for him. Plus, he sinks right back down. He doesn't really appear to be bloated, but I fasted him for about 3 days since that always seems to be the first step. It didn't help at all. I thought about trying a Kanaplex dose in case he has a bacterial problem this swim bladder, but was unsure if he could handle it.

With all that being said, should I consider euthanasia at this point? I hate to do it, but don't want him to suffer. Which it looks like he is. If so, I know most people say clove oil is the most effective route. How exactly do I do this? I've read about it, but still want to ask. Would it be faster if I put him in straight clove oil (sounds like a really bad idea, but I don't know)?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom