Jkkgron2’s 40 gallon build

jkkgron2
Hi everyone! Today I started setting up my 40g and I figured I may as well make a thread about it! Earlier I finished up getting the new decor in the tank and today I’m going to fill it. I’ll be moving the fish from my 55g into this tank since it’s easier to plant in a 40. So excited! For now I’ll be using mostly fake decor from my 55 along with the new decor but eventually it’ll be heavily planted. Right now it doesn’t look very good And it’s cloudy but Here’s a pic I’ll post again once it’s Filled up all the way.

679D3BA9-7A3B-48CE-945F-D1E22064DFD9.jpeg
And how it looked before I started filling it up.

97C915CC-99AF-4C8C-B5CB-4D208C3B2A67.jpeg

Advertisement
FishBoy101
Hi everyone! Today I started setting up my 40g and I figured I may as well make a thread about it! Earlier I finished up getting the new decor in the tank and today I’m going to fill it. I’ll be moving the fish from my 55g into this tank since it’s easier to plant in a 40. So excited! For now I’ll be using mostly fake decor from my 55 along with the new decor but eventually it’ll be heavily planted. Right now it doesn’t look very good And it’s cloudy but Here’s a pic I’ll post again once it’s Filled up all the way.
View attachment 728712
And how it looked before I started filling it up.
View attachment 728713
Following!

StarGirl
Following!

Advertisement
Basil
40 breeder? Such a great size!
I have to admit, I’ve never liked the dimensions of a 55.
Is that an Aqueon?
Definitely following.

jkkgron2
40 breeder? Such a great size!
I have to admit, I’ve never liked the dimensions of a 55.
Is that an Aqueon?
Definitely following.
Yeah 40 breeder, I’m not a huge fan of the 55 either, Both are aqueon!

Advertisement
kanzekatores
Very cool, I’ll try to follow along too!

Gudgie
Following! I'm not a huge fan of the 55 dimensions either, which is why we upsized to our 75

jkkgron2
I have a question, should I go with my 55 filter or a 20 and 40g filter? The 55 would have to be on the end of the tank but I’m not sure how nice it’d look with 2 filters. I think I could hide them behind the decor so if I did should I go with that option?

Basil
Following! I'm not a huge fan of the 55 dimensions either, which is why we upsized to our 75
I skipped the 55 and went straight to the 75. Now thinking of combining and upsizing to a 125.

trahana
I have a question, should I go with my 55 filter or a 20 and 40g filter? The 55 would have to be on the end of the tank but I’m not sure how nice it’d look with 2 filters. I think I could hide them behind the decor so if I did should I go with that option?

I use a size much larger then a 40g filter, beacuse in a planted tank it needs more flow due to the debris. I would use your 55g filter, you can switch it out later if its not working well.

jkkgron2
I use a size much larger then a 40g filter, beacuse in a planted tank it needs more flow due to the debris. I would use your 55g filter, you can switch it out later if its not working well.
if I used both the 20g and the 40g filter wouldn’t it filter more? Plus they’ll both be on different ends to stir up more debris? Just trying to decide because the 55 filter won’t look very good.

trahana
Well, think of Filter Flow, you want the tank flow go from the out flow around the tank, back to the intake. If you have two filters on opposite ends(I'm imagining HOB filters) the water will circulate and then meet in the middle. Meaning all your debris will be in the middle towards the weaker 20g filter. I have a forest of plants now, but back when I had a clear water column the filter rated for up to 75g would blow the debris around the tank and into the intake. It was pretty clean, and I liked that. You can try both filter arrangements, and see which one works best though. I've occasionally squeezed an ugly filter sponge into the flow to see where it flows. You can do that too.

jkkgron2
Well, think of Filter Flow, you want the tank flow go from the out flow around the tank, back to the intake. If you have two filters on opposite ends(I'm imagining HOB filters) the water will circulate and then meet in the middle. Meaning all your debris will be in the middle towards the weaker 20g filter. I have a forest of plants now, but back when I had a clear water column the filter rated for up to 75g would blow the debris around the tank and into the intake. It was pretty clean, and I liked that. You can try both filter arrangements, and see which one works best though. I've occasionally squeezed an ugly filter sponge into the flow to see where it flows. You can do that too.
Ah, I think I wasn’t clear enough/forgot to post pics (sorry! I’ll post some soon). The driftwood and rocks are roughly in the middle and the HOBs will be on the left and right side of the back wall. I’ll be testing the 2 HOBs today because the 55 filter looks horrible on it (there’s stuff above the tank so I can only squeeze it in on the end where I’ll be looking at the tank) One I already put in there because it’s new so I needed to test it and it’s circulating the water pretty nicely.

wintersoldier1287
Looking good. 40 breeders are great sized tanks. I also like 55 gallon tanks, but they aren't for everyone. I would just meet in the middle and pick up a 40 Long, but that's just me.

You are going to enjoy how much easier it is for planting, lighting and overall maintenance with your 40 breeder.

jkkgron2
Looking good. 40 breeders are great sized tanks. I also like 55 gallon tanks, but they aren't for everyone. I would just meet in the middle and pick up a 40 Long, but that's just me.

You are going to enjoy how much easier it is for planting, lighting and overall maintenance with your 40 breeder.
I’m really excited. I’m pretty short so it’s hard for me to do stuff with the 55. Once the waters settled a bit more I’ll add in pics.

wintersoldier1287
Did you get the tank from one of the dollar per gallon sales? 55 gallon tanks are great. That is, without the aspect of trying to reach into it. Lol. I have a 33 long. 48x12x12. Same dimensions of a 55 but super short. Complete breeze to do anything with.

A good sized school of tetras or guppies would look great in the 40 breeder IMO.

jkkgron2
Did you get the tank from one of the dollar per gallon sales? 55 gallon tanks are great. That is, without the aspect of trying to reach into it. Lol. I have a 33 long. 48x12x12. Same dimensions of a 55 but super short. Complete breeze to do anything with.

A good sized school of tetras or guppies would look great in the 40 breeder IMO.
I got the 40 from the dollar per gallon sale, the 55 was from a kit. Right now I’m just downsizing so I can turn this into a planted tank but judging by how fast my endlers are reproducing I think I’ll be adding in some not to long from now.

Here’s a really bad picture of how it looks right now. The waters cloudy and the glare is bad but it gives some idea of how it looks? hopefully it’ll clear up soon.

6622A411-C04B-4BEC-B5B8-3F6179402676.jpeg

jkkgron2
Hey guys! I moved all the fish And decor into the tank today. The light also arrived! I haven’t added in any live plants but that’ll be done later today.

C437BE6E-57D5-4357-B025-B0E173CDD397.jpeg

jkkgron2
Just finished planting! I got the crypts where I wanted them but I’m not sure if I planted the Lily right? I’ve read mixed info about whether or not I did this right. Anyone got any ideas?

185669D9-E00D-4B86-B53B-E22E599AAA29.jpeg
1ED14330-AAC5-4F86-955B-901B81B57B21.jpeg

jkkgron2
I finished planting the tank. I ended up getting a ton of jungle vals, some rotala, and a Madagascar lace plant (or something similar). I got more vals than I expected so I ended up planting the tank more than I expected. Unfortunately The plants also introduced camallanus worms to the tank so I have to get some treatment for that . So far only one fish is showing symptoms so hopefully I caught it early.
Here’s a pic of how the tank looks!

2C5C9CBF-2BBD-4389-BEB4-57751CFABD09.jpeg

jkkgron2
I totally forgot this thread existed....

Anyways the tank is doing well, although I did turn it into a walstad tank. It’s been about 5 months since I did a water change, and the fish all are doing great. I even saw some eggs from the Corys! The plants have gone crazy, and the lily is huge now. The floating plants got way bigger than I expected, and the roots are pretty long.

Only one pic right now since I’m in the middle of doing a water change, but I’ll try to remember to get some later today.

Floaters

90D31A01-56BB-43AC-A547-1807EC006A2E.jpeg

Basil
Oh wow! Pretty cool. Is it dirted?

jkkgron2
Oh wow! Pretty cool. Is it dirted?
Thanks! It’s not dirted, although I’m going to look into adding some sort of nutrient rich substrate. Haven’t decided yet if it’s gonna be more substrate, or just root tabs.

PurpleReign19
I finished planting the tank. I ended up getting a ton of jungle vals, some rotala, and a Madagascar lace plant (or something similar). I got more vals than I expected so I ended up planting the tank more than I expected. Unfortunately The plants also introduced camallanus worms to the tank so I have to get some treatment for that . So far only one fish is showing symptoms so hopefully I caught it early.
Here’s a pic of how the tank looks!
View attachment 733548
Looks awesome!

Shrimp42
I have a question, how can you go so long without doing water changes? I know the plants consume the nitrogen, but don't you need to replenish minerals that are used up? Don't mean to hijack, and am looking forward to the pictures of the full tank.

jkkgron2
I have a question, how can you go so long without doing water changes? I know the plants consume the nitrogen, but don't you need to replenish minerals that are used up? Don't mean to hijack, and am looking forward to the pictures of the full tank.
I think the hardness of the water has something to do with it. I also add fertilizer for the plants every other time I do a top off. Not sure exactly why though.

I don’t have any pictures of the entire tank right now, but here’s some pictures I took earlier.

Close up of the angelfish (not sure why the water looks yellow in the picture. The water isn’t actually yellow. )

A4CBF5E9-905E-4D3F-9966-207D77D21B78.jpeg
Floating plant roots

DC9809AA-62EF-4122-B8FE-AAC2B2FB904F.jpeg
Dwarf lily

7C527A6E-3D67-4DB8-BCE3-96953D8A2416.jpeg
Kribensis and neon tetra

E78700F6-CD60-4210-ABE2-7B044428B8EF.jpeg
I was trying to get a good picture of the neon tetra, but it’s scared of my phone.

7779CAB9-AC53-4BFA-9974-7CB0FA128095.jpeg

Shrimp42
I think the hardness of the water has something to do with it. I also add fertilizer for the plants every other time I do a top off. Not sure exactly why though.

I don’t have any pictures of the entire tank right now, but here’s some pictures I took earlier.

Close up of the angelfish (not sure why the water looks yellow in the picture. The water isn’t actually yellow. )
View attachment 780630
Floating plant roots
View attachment 780631
Dwarf lily
View attachment 780632
Kribensis and neon tetra
View attachment 780633
I was trying to get a good picture of the neon tetra, but it’s scared of my phone.
View attachment 780634
Wow those roots are giant. Beautiful kribensis too.
Sorry m, but one more question. Do you top off with tap or distilled/ro water?

jkkgron2
Wow those roots are giant. Beautiful kribensis too.
Sorry m, but one more question. Do you top off with tap or distilled/ro water?
Tap water, some of the fish like the krib prefer harder water so RO wouldn’t be the best for them.

Shrimp42
Tap water, some of the fish like the krib prefer harder water so RO wouldn’t be the best for them.
Okay thanks.

jkkgron2
WOW the dwarf lily is going crazy. It’s gotta be sending out new leaves every other day or something. I did a top off two days ago and the filter seemed to have gotten a snail stuck in it?!?!! It was making loud noises and the flow was slowed down. Took a lot of shaking and poking but managed to get the snail that was stuck in it out. It started working again after that.
Finally got a good picture of the whole tank!

B6D6F767-4313-4EBB-82D9-113E912CEA06.jpeg
Floaters

6EE32146-E71E-4C8D-B374-9FC2003AD066.jpeg
Dwarf Lily leaf

8C352B64-AB07-42A4-ABC4-635B0C6F6F47.jpeg
Picture of the dwarf lily with the angelfish

6AFB85A4-71F3-4693-A262-65EDCAC5F9CB.jpeg
Corys

15CEC4A7-271F-4BAB-942A-F8A3EBA8A795.jpeg
The remaining vals

153C9D07-3A86-4D73-898F-C23DFC14152A.jpeg
Angelfish close up