Jeweled Cichlid Fry Help?

1. lobster91185 Initiate Member

I set up my tank a little over a year ago. I have 2 Jeweled Cichlids and 3 Acei Cichlids. One of the two Jeweled Cichlids never grew much (about 1/4 of the size of the other) and I hardly ever saw it. I was about to remove it from the tank due to the others bullying it. Last Wednesday (03/21/2012), however I woke up and found the smaller Jeweled Cichlid hovering over eggs on the bottom of my tank! She and the male defended them for almost a week.

Last night (03/26/2012) I came home to a cloud of fry! I had not seen the eggs in days and figured the others got to them. She is still defending the fry but I do not know how long she can keep it up (she is about 1/4 the size of the other 4 Cichlids). I am over feeding the other fish in an attempt to buy some time. I figured I would create a fry tank but had a few questions.

1) How do I transport the fry?
    2) How long to I keep the female with the fry?

Thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSoNG0Ub4

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Very cool!!!

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Congrats on the fy!!! I always use a siphon or turkey baster to take out the fry and put them in different tanks. Before you do any of that you want to get some fry food. An easy food to try is Hikari First Bites. Another easy food is Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp. That's a really long name haha. Anyway just click on the name of either and it will take you to a place where you can see info on it and you can also buy it there if you can't find it locally.

The second question is a bit tricky. You do not need the female to take care of the fry if the fry are already free swimming. So if the fry are swimming in a cloud around the parents then they are free swimming. That also makes them fairly easy to take out of the tank. The parents may attack you while your trying to take the fry out though. Don't worry about that, it's their natural instinct. Once you take the fry out and start to grow them out in a different tank the parents will most likely begin to breed again.

4. lobster91185 Initiate Member

That is really helpful. I was going to use my siphon but I was not sure if it was going to be too rough for the little guys. I'll probably post some pics of the fry tank tomorrow when it's full.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

That's great. Are you giving the fry tank an instant cycle?? Before you move the fry please make sure you have food for them. They die pretty quick without a food source. Also you'll need to keep feeding the fry on regular intervals after you move them.

6. lobster91185 Initiate Member

I have a plant for them to nibble on and I ground up some flakes into a powder. I sucked up some of the powder in a straw, then placed in in the tank next to them. It seemed to work. I think I transferred about 95% of the fry (probably close to 30 total).

The tank I created is basically a filter, water, and rocks all from the tank that they spawned in. I let it sit for a day.

I will definitely use sand next time. The gravel is small but the fry are small enough to swim down into it. They seemed heavily disorganized when I transferred them so I stuck the mother in. She immediately rounded them up and now has them at the base of my plant where they are now feeding.