jewel tankmates

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Rilescr, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Rilescr

Rilescr New Member Member

I have 5 juvenile jewel cichlids in a 65 gallon tank and was wondering if there is a possibility for tankmates or shoukd i leave it species only.

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

IMO, the Jewel Cichlids should be only housed with their own species. You could add some Corys or Synos for your bottom feeders, though.

But, as far as OTHER Cichlids, I'd just house the Jewels on their own. Others may disagree, but I feel they are too aggressive, especially if spawning, to peacefully be housed with others of similar kind.

3. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

It really depends on the personality of the jewel cichlids. You could probably do a pair of convicts and have everything work out. They are one of the few species I would put into a tank with breeding jewels.

I wouldn't do the cories because they will likely get harassed. Especially if the jewels have nowhere else to put their aggression. I do agree with any syno or even a BN pleco.

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I keep a Jewel in my 125 Cichlid community. They usually do fine with anything bigger than them. Also, usually good with convicts.

5. J

John14 Valued Member Member

Can I put a Jewel with an Oscar in a 75? The oscar will be bigger but i feed the Jewel a high protein diet so he's about 3 1/2" I got him for $1.59 at Petco (sadly) on sale, couldn't pass up on him. Any advice is appreciated. The Jewel is currently the lone fish in my 25 gallon after he killed my Pictus catfish... :(

6. mmolitor87

Sorry to hear about your loss. You can probably manage that, yes. What are the footprint dimensions on the tank?

7. C

I have a Jewel and an Oscar in my 125. As long as the Jewel can't fit in the Oscars mouth, there isn't a problem.

8. J

Okay, thanks, how fast do Jewels grow? I know Oscars grow extremely fast but I feel like my Jewel has already grown at least a half inch since i got her 2-3 weeks ago, are they also a fast growing species and is it accurate that they will reach up to 8" ? Also, my Jewel has not turned red-ish yet, it's currently more brown-ish with purple fins and blue dots, what can I do to enhance color?

I assumed the bad coloration was a product of poor care from petco but now I'm wondering if coloration has to do with gender? My fish seems to swim around happily and normally, very thick body (well fed) and perfect fin structure as well, no other fish to cause stress either?

9. mmolitor87

Color has to do with how they were bred. Sometime good colors, sometimes not. Just depends. They get to around 4-5 inches, similar to convicts. They are slower growing but she should reach full size before the oscar is large enough to eat her.

10. C

There are several different types of Jewel Cichlids. Some are more red than others. This is my Adult Jewel.

11. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

nice fish nut. I got a present of a pair when I first got my tank, I came on here and got the advice that they are very aggressive and should not be housed with any fish that they could potentially bully

12. C

This is very true! Little buggers can be rather feisty :) I don't think an Oscar will get bullied much, at least once it is bigger than the Jewel.

13. A

mmolitor, what is the fish in your avatar?

14. C

15. mmolitor87

Very similar fin structure to jewels, but they get longer and they are much stockier overall. They can take a beating from a jewel once they are about twice the size of a jewel. Good tankmates, actually.

Nutso has been tempting me to get a jewel along with my convict and JD.

16. A

Lovely fish, I want a cichlid tank soon, just need to get my fish keeping experience up so I can deal with the lovers tiffs in the tank when I do get them.

17. C

Cichlids are great ;D

18. mmolitor87

I'll be honest...they are my first fish, other than a betta which I subjected to a bowl years ago. Before I knew better...

It isn't too bad as long as you do a lot of research. You freak out when they fight but you have to remember - they do that, it just happens and it's probably not anything you're doing wrong if everything else is right.

My JD and Convict have a routine....she picks on him until he splits her tail in several places, then she takes a few days to heal up and starts the process all over again. She wants HIS cave. Nothing I can really do about that except make the cave go away or add other options. She doesn't like other options. lol

19. J

If I decided to keep the Jewel with my Oscar in my 75 which is currently fish-less and is almost done cycling what else would you guys recommend as tank mates. I have enough filtration to overstock (bio-load wise) as well. It's more so a matter of physical space and trying to spread aggression while maximizing the territory!

20. C

Australian Rainbows, Giant Danios, Blood Parrot, Severum. Things like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice