Jewel Cichlids

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I went to my LFS...to look at some snails.... and there were these BEAUTIFUL Red And Blue Cichlids.... They were Jewel Cichlids being sold as Butterkofi Cichlids...NEVER heard of butterkofi but have heard of butterkoferi cichlids.... none the less I played a game with them and got 2 for 5 dollars because they were priced at 7.49 a piece... So introducing my fish that are actually standing up to my blue cobalts...so well they already booted them from there home base stump...

Attachments

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Jewels are from African rivers, not the lakes. They usually don't mix all that well with the lake Chichlids. To me, they're almost exactly the same as a Convict Cichlid.

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, lucky my largest angel and the jewels are getting along just fine... the blue cobalts are now subtly getting less confrontational with them... its been tough because of these blues have been so aggressive with so many other fish....

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well his news is pretty well backed with everything I have been reading... I will be keeping a close eye... I just do not understand that even with giving my LFS my tank size, types of fish and letting them know its planted...they thought this was okay with the only thing being said is that blue cobalt angels are the most aggressive angelfish...

That from my experience I can't deny... what about Kribensis Cichlid's? So many color variations and quite beautiful as well...

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Honestly, even though the people at your LFS might be nice, they usually don't know much about fish There are some that really know their stuff but the majority don't.

Kribs would probably be fine. If they start breeding they will be aggressive and defend part of the tank as their territory.

In your first post were you referring to the African Cichlid, blue Cobalt

Or your Angels?

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Blue Cobalt Angelfish...I am honestly starting to think they don't know the names of the fish they are selling either hence they were selling this fish as butterkofi cichlids...

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Just call your Angels, Angels lol. Color morph doesn't matter unless you're showing pictures or something. I thought you had African lake Cichlids in your tank too lol. I was like, what is he doing?!

The color of your Angelfish has nothing to do with how aggressive they are. Some Angels can be aggressive, some are not.

How long have you had your Jewels? Once they're settled in and establish a territory, they can get mean.
With Angels, I'd stick to less aggressive Dwarf Cichlids.

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well...I now have had my jewel cichlids for 4 hours...and been free in the tank for 3 and acclimated floating in bag for 1 hour.... they are quite happy in my withered tree stump because there are passages inside of it kinda cave like...

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I always look at fish but never buy anything unless it REALLY stands out and ask information about compatibility... but I guess I am better off just bringing my tablet and looking stuff up myself...

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You just got them. You will not be seeing their true behavior yet. Fish need time to settle in before you'll see how they really are. They go through a lot when being introduced to a new tank.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've got a Jewel with my new world Cichlids. I like it. I don't have to worry about my Jack Dempsey or Oscar getting beat up.

Kribs would be better than Jewels. I think you'd be better off with non Cichlid fish. Like corries or Angelicus Loaches.

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Let me look those up...What's funny is, my friend started my daughter off with a fish for her birthday of course means I'm stuck taking care of it, then...I bought it a 2.5 then bought a 25 then a 60 now I'm looking at a 72 bow front a 36 long and even started looking at 400... lol I didn't even want a fish...

OP
AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
..well its starting to look that way... though I only have had 4 angels in my 60... the 25 has 4 neon tetras, 2 platys and yes a goldfish... they all seem happy together... 2.5 has a betta...

This 72 bow front is kinda hard to pass up with lid and stand for 200 my little 25 cost that much...

Eventually I want to try Saltwater as well...

Oh BTW... I've looked at Cory's and Loaches...they honestly do not interest me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom