Jewel Cichlid Babies

joan pepe

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coming home from work late last night I was thrilled to see my Jewels surrounded by hundreds of babies! I thought they had eaten their eggs , obviously not. When should I start feeding them ? and how long should I leave them with the parents? I have a twenty to use for some of the kids, the rest? I need help with my ethical obligations here.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hurrah! Uh oh.
I have bred jewels of several species, and finding homes for the babies is almost impossible. So that raises ethical issues.
You can feed finely crushed flake, and leave them with the parents for 3-5 weeks. They will kill any other fish in the tank once they have fry, and while their parenting is superb, the result of that parenting is usually very unwanted.

joan pepe

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can I ask what solution you came up with? I’m ok with their aggressive behavior. I have them in a 55 by themselves. I just don’t like the idea of killing all these babies. I’ve also learned that this will replay itself every month? I’ve grown very attached to these two fish but I find this unacceptable.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom