Jester's Glofish Tank

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Although I am a salty guy first and foremost, I have had a small GloFish tank up and running for about a year now. It was in my office at work but more recently I brought it home and it has become my kid's tank:

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here are some updates:

ETNsilverstar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many of the glofish do you have? I only see two. We tried to do a glofish tank for the toddler, but we couldn't get a single one to even survive 24 hours.

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ETNsilverstar said:
How many of the glofish do you have? I only see two. We tried to do a glofish tank for the toddler, but we couldn't get a single one to even survive 24 hours.
I had 4 but one didn't make it 3 months. The other 3 have made it a year. Did you buy them from Walmart, Petsmart, Petco? They tend to be the worst in terms of Fish with disease, etc. I bought mine from an LFS that takes pretty good care of their tanks.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace said:
I had 4 but one didn't make it 3 months. The other 3 have made it a year. Did you buy them from Walmart, Petsmart, Petco? They tend to be the worst in terms of Fish with disease, etc. I bought mine from an LFS that takes pretty good care of their tanks.
We got them at petsmart, but the one we go to seems to maintain their tanks pretty well. With as fast as they died, I could only assume it was shock from switching to a new environment. We'll probably try again with some of the glofish danios once the goldfish gets moved into a bigger tank.

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't assume that. Petco often has subpar standards for their tank maintenance and poor acclimation and non existant quarantine procedures. Due to the more forgiving nature of freshwater it's easier to hide these issues, what I recommend doing as a real test is to take a look at their saltwater tanks. If the fish have faded colors, white spots on their fins or bodies and fins look partially worn off then it's a pretty good bet they don't take care of the fish, acclimate them properly, etc. Also look at the rockwork and if it's crawling with bristleworms then they are overfeeding the tanks to boot. I'm just saying this is a much easier way to track the kind of care your local Petco gives. My local Petco's freshwater tanks look pretty decent but when you look at the salty tanks it tells a very different story and the rockwork was gross as well.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace said:
Don't assume that. Petco often has subpar standards for their tank maintenance and poor acclimation and non existant quarantine procedures. Due to the more forgiving nature of freshwater it's easier to hide these issues, what I recommend doing as a real test is to take a look at their saltwater tanks. If the fish have faded colors, white spots on their fins or bodies and fins look partially worn off then it's a pretty good bet they don't take care of the fish, acclimate them properly, etc. Also look at the rockwork and if it's crawling with bristleworms then they are overfeeding the tanks to boot. I'm just saying this is a much easier way to track the kind of care your local Petco gives. My local Petco's freshwater tanks look pretty decent but when you look at the salty tanks it tells a very different story and the rockwork was gross as well.
Our Petco sucks. Well, sucked. They closed recently. The petsmart is pretty good though. Some of the sales people are at least decently knowledgeable, and they always have tons of glofish. Whatever their acclimation procedure is, the fish were surviving in their tanks for at least a few days while we could only get a couple hours at home. That points to shock.

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sadly the green one died after my 5 year old got ahold of the fish food and overfed the tank. The pink and blue ones are still going strong.

I added some Tiger Nerite Snails to replaced the Black horned nerites that had been doing a great job. The Tigers were a bust, not a single one of them would stay in the tank for prolonged periods of time. No issues with the other snails

Switched to a Rabbit Snail and it is doing great thus far and very good at doing his job:

Found a couple of really cool colored Yellow/Green Guppies that I added to the tank as well to help fill the void:

JChi

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
your tank is lovely! Are your Glofish active? I have had the same problem as ETNsilverstar, and I also got mine at Petco, which I think was my mistake. At this point I'm a serial killer of Glofish. I have 2 surviving ones that we've had for a few months. With the exception of one of them, the others would hide all day and never swim. I gave up on the Glofish Tetras and got guppies instead and they are doing awesome. One of my Glofish swims with the guppies and is active. The other hides all the time, and he doesn't look the greatest. I've had him about 3 months. I'd love to get more for a school, but am just tired of killing fish.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jesterrace , very cool tank.

I have been lucky with my glofish tetras from Petsmart.

Out of 14 original in my 75g, I've only lost 3 over the past year.

They have grown well and for the most part been hardy.

Kids wanted to add them, and the wife and I enjoy them also! Lol.

Both of my LED bars have timers for the white/blue lights. Blue light in evening turns off right after bed time.

11 glo tetras swimming with their tank mates while glowing are pretty cool.

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Realistically the Red one was the only one I lost due to random circumstances. I can't really fault the green one since my 5 year old kid basically killed it with overfeeding. The other 2 Glofish are semi-active but can hide a bit. Warmer temperatures tend to make them more active though (Big difference between 74 and 78 degrees in terms of activity) and the Guppies do seem to make them a bit more active as well. I may try the Danios at some point in the future, but I'm not sure. Or I may at some point convert it into a very unique Pea Puffer Tank. Lots of directions I want to go with this one.

OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately I lost one of the Yellow Green Guppies. Not sure if it was due to aggression from the other or the nippy behavior of the Tetras. All other fish are doing well. I found a little juvie Endlers today and couldn't resist:

JChi

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They look so active and happy! My Glofish swims with all my guppies like he's part of their pact. =)

New Threads