Jerk Angelfish

PhoenixPhire
HI I recently got 6 full grown guppies in my 40 gallon long tank and there are 2 angels and one is sand-dollar size and he has been peaceful with the guppies but my quarter sized angel is tormenting the guppies and they are like twice his size what should I do?! He has been making them stressed and I can tell because earlier they were bright blue and now they are pale and hiding in the corner. And I just went up to the tank and literally swim towards them and approach two in a corner and nip at one. I just added them like an hour ago and I'm worried that I will have to return them or get rid of the angel.

cichlid4life
Is the angelfish a golden angelfish? I've heard and witnessed that they are much more aggressive than most other angelfish.

PhoenixPhire
I don't know what you are talking about and I looked it up so can I take a picture of him and show you?

cichlid4life
Taking a picture will help. Golden angels are just like koi angels but they don't have the black spots on them.

BottomDweller
Angelfish and guppies don't make good tankmates. As they grow both angels will probably end up bullying the guppies. I would remove the angels.

PhoenixPhire
Here are some of the pics

Attachments

• IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 87
cichlid4life
Thanks for the s, and is the angel that is showing aggression to the guppies the same angelfish pictured in the third,fourth,and fifth picture?

PhoenixPhire
No the black angel is the peaceful one but he is still kinda nippy if the come too close but the golden or koi angel is the one that seeks them out like a predator.

Thunder_o_b
Guppies are not suitable tank mates for angels. You will need to pick which you want to keep and remove the other.

cichlid4life
yeah the one angel that is yellow and white with black spots on its body is a koi angel and are a little less aggressive than any golden angel would ever be.

PhoenixPhire
Sadly I am going to inform you that tomorrow I will donate all of the fish in that tank to my lfs and I will be adding some subrate and adding hatchet fish, because I have been craving Apisogramma for far too long and if my baby angel is attacking fish twice his size I don't really want him.
Am I emotionless?

Hunter1
You should get what you want.

Hopefully they’ll find a peaceful home which doesn’t seem the case right now.

Funny how fish have different personalities. There must have been 5 posts, “guppies and angels are not good tank mates.”

My wife has a fully grown angel, 6” long, 8” high. There are 8-10 guppies in there including some youngsters she just moved in from her rearing tank. When I fed them this morning the angel hovered just below the guppies, giving them first crack at it.

Other times they feed off of the top, side by side.

BottomDweller
Sadly I am going to inform you that tomorrow I will donate all of the fish in that tank to my lfs and I will be adding some subrate and adding hatchet fish, because I have been craving Apisogramma for far too long and if my baby angel is attacking fish twice his size I don't really want him.
Am I emotionless?
Nope. I think that's a good idea and your guppies will be happier.

Mcasella
The angels are trying to eat the guppies. Sometimes you can get an angel that will not both them (I've had several like that, and I have had one teach a dozen others that they should eat them). Angels will generally eat small fish that can fit in their mouth.

Apistos are a fun idea.

cichlid4life
apistos will not grow much bigger than your guppies maybe you will get lucky and your apistos will ignore your guppies. my apistos ignore my cherry barbs and they ignore the cherry barb fry.

Furiousfishman
I’ve always understood that as long as all the fish are approx the same size, and are introduced to the tank at the same time, angle fish will behave with those fish, however, once the angelfish have claimed their territory, other fish should not be added. It also helps if the tank is large enough for the less dominate fish can swim away when being bullied.

cichlid4life
not only room;
I’ve always understood that as long as all the fish are approx the same size, and are introduced to the tank at the same time, angle fish will behave with those fish, however, once the angelfish have claimed their territory, other fish should not be added. It also helps if the tank is large enough for the less dominate fish can swim away when being bullied.
but also hiding spots that only the smaller fish can get into so that your older and more aggressive fish can reach them nor see them until they come out.

Furiousfishman
Yes! That too,,, I forgot lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yukondog
Top Bottom