Jeri's cherry shrimp bowl

jerilovesfrogs
oh wow, and you got the same kind I did right? the miracle grow organic choice? you got the garden...and not the potting soil? well, I know how you feel anyway.....cos of the tannins in the 10g, from topsoil. >.< hope it's temporary for both of us.

actually, I keep forgetting, but I was going to put some carbon in there...like a big piece of it in the tank, to help absorb the tannins.

pirahnah3
oh duh!! thanks I forgot about the carbon part, I have some small cartriges left over from an UGF that I never used. Thank!

Advertisement
MD Angels
Just a few quick questions -

Did you rinse the garden soil first, or would that remove some of the nurtrients you want?

Also, for the desk lamp, does watts apply the same way in a standard set up? Because my desk lamp has a tiny 55watt bulb - is this too much or ok - I haven't a clue lol.

Thanks Jeri

jerilovesfrogs
no I didn't rinse the garden soil or anything....I suppose you could, but I dont' think it's necessary. I just took out any larger pieces of whatever, that I didn't want.

55w cfl? that does seem like a lot. my desk light has a 4w cfl. but I have a 10w if the 4 isn't enough. but with all the sunlight (when there's sun) it gets, I felt like a 4w was ok.

I would do a 10, maybe 20w cfl if I were you. I think if you get too much, you could really be battling algae. would it be getting sunlight? or window light?

Advertisement
MD Angels
It depends I guess on where it goes. If I put it out on the coffee table it will only get sunlight. But the days are short now its dark by 5pm.

I might have another desk lamp left at my parents place. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tips!

nissan4life
Love love love! One question: do you cycle something so small? Seed it with gravel from an already-cycled tank? Kind of a dumb question, considering you are putting a live creature in there, I would assume you can't just set it up and toss the shrimp in...

Advertisement
jerilovesfrogs
you can set it up, and put them in. the plants are the filter. I did put a piece of ceramic media on the bottom....just to give a little bb to the bowl. I should get a pic of it now....the moss and sags have really grown.

-j

nissan4life
Cool! Is it relatively easy to keep the plants in check, or do they need thinning out? I love this idea, love the look

Advertisement
jerilovesfrogs
thanks =] well both plants can be thinned out pretty easily....so i'd say yes, it's easy to keep them looking good.

Gamer
I was JUST thinking about this bowl yesterday. I'm glad to hear it's doing well and would love to see a recent pic when get the chance.

Advertisement
jerilovesfrogs
you were gamer? I will get a pic in the next couple days

Gamer
Absolutely! I was thinking about it then the next day the thread is bumped. But then again I remember it often, it's so awesome.

Advertisement
tress29
well in a bowl, I don't really see anything else working besides shrimp....just based on bio-load and swim room. though if you did a slightly larger NPT, like 5g+, you could have some nano fish.
What species are considered nano fish?

Theresa in Indy

sanjin
tress, any fish that is about 1" or less when full grown is generally considered a nano fish. Here is a recent thread on the topic, although not all the fish listed would be considered truly nano fish, the OP made the list with the intent on fish appropriate for small tanks.

jerilovesfrogs
in a bowl, or very.small tank, I'd do just shrimp. in my 2 gallon I have tiger shrimp...I would condider putting nano fish in something 5 gallon and over. that nano fish list is good(not done by me), but a lot of those fish would do better in a 10g.

-j

tress29
My 2.5 gallon "work" tank is rectangular, so it has more floor space than a hex. In the past it has housed a male betta, a trI of white clouds, a wee tiny hognose snake, a solo ADF, and most recently a female betta. (Well, the hoggie was in a duplicate tank at home!)

When Mirth passed, I decided on some CPDs. They are down to a pair right now as one was iffy when I bought them (and I was not charged for it.) I bought a pair from a different store, but they are temporarily in my ten gallon tank. My fish guy and I are slowly building the cycle for the pea puffer pair it'll eventually house.

I'll keep an eye on them when I move these two to my work tank. I sure hope I can keep up the water quality for them, I'm not sure my desk could hold anything bigger. I already have 4 monitors and a laser jet printer on it!

And Jeri, after reading about your floating plants, I got some water lettuce today. I really like how it looks. Of course, my mondo grass is floating too! I don't have enough sand in there to hold down the roots! Any ideas? Can I wedge the roots under the driftwood?!

Theresa

jerilovesfrogs
hI tress....well water lettuce is very cool! it doesn't like to get its leaves wet at all though...and will melt off if they do. also, mondo grass is debated on whether it is fully aquatic or not. but you can put the roots under a rock, or wood. just watch it, for signs of yellowing/dying. here's an updated pic of the bowl

Attachments

• rsz_bowl_spec_001.jpg
    rsz_bowl_spec_001.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 344
pirahnah3
wow, that looks great jeri!

Mine had a heater incident which caused other issues with it. So for now its just sitting waiting for me to do things all over again.

Cichlidnut
That looks really cool

jerilovesfrogs
thanks jI'm and nut

-j

tress29
Wow, I can see why shrimp are the best choice, there's no room for fishies to swim about! The plants look awesome...

Lucy
Lost track of this thread.
It looks great Jers!

jerilovesfrogs
thanks lucy I think I may need to thin out some moss though. tress.....yes, not a lot of room for even nano fish. shrimp are very cool to keep though....

-j

Gamer
I'm in awe, speechless. It is beautiful! *drools*

jerilovesfrogs
thanks john I kinda wish I used smaller substrate, or fluval stratum...which I have some left over. I guess if I decide to start it over...i'd use that. you should start one

Gamer
I'd love to start one myself! I'd just need to decide which shrimp species I'd want to keep first. I been giving it some thought. CRS have always caught my eye, I only have experience keeping ghosts though. I'm sure if not a bowl I'll do a very small tank with sunlight sooner or later.

jerilovesfrogs
i've never done crs either....but i've always been curious about them. I have a 2 gallon fluval spec with tiger shrimp....and they are pretty cool. I even got them to breed. just keep in mind...you can keep caridina with neocaridina...but not like with like. I have been thinking of putting some lower grade crs in my 4 gallon with the rcs....just to see how they'd do. =]

MD Angels
Wow, Jeri, your bowl has really developed! Those plants look great! Lucky little shrimpies!

jerilovesfrogs
thanks laura. I had the bowl in my loft for a bit, while the floor in my room was being finished...glad to have the bowl back beside my bed

-j

kinezumi89
If I could ask a few question (not that I mean to hijack your thread, of course)...but when you say the plants are the filter, and you don't need to do water changes...you REALLY don't need to do water changes? I bought a 2.5 gallon tank that I was planning to house a betta in. I thought 2.5 gallons was the minimum for a betta, but I guess 5 gallons is better, so I was thinking of experimenting with a planted shrimp tank. I haven't done planted yet, so I thought trying it out in a small tank might be a good idea.

So to make sure I understand correctly, you put dirt on the bottom, a layer of fine gravel on top, stick some plants in the substrate, and toss some shrimpies in? No cycling or anything? I thought that if the tank wasn't cycled, then you wouldn't get nitrate in the first place, since the nitrifying bacteria wouldn't be in the tank, and I know that shrimp are sensitive to ammonia.

Do you have any suggestions for plants? Are the ones you included best? The tank comes with LEDs (21 if I remember), but I know there isn't a lot known about LEDs and planted tanks.

Thanks, and sorry again for hijacking! I'm just so excited that my idea might work

jerilovesfrogs
it's zumi. yes, the plants are the filter. I have several tanks like this. including my 150g...but I do run a filter on that one, with lava rock, and ceramic media. just because it's so big....and i'm not sure if I have enough plants to take care of the toxins atm. but small tanks are different.

the tanks that I don't filter, have small bio-loads...which is necessary. in ones that I newly set up...I do put a little piece of ceramic media on the bottom..just to help seed the substrate with good bb faster. in time you can remove them though...when the plants really start to take off.

I like to use miracle grow organic choice garden soil..it's good quality, and very little tannins, if any. for the cap...you can use sand or a fine gravel. I have also used fluval shrimp and plant stratums, and really love them. in a small tank those would not be too expensive.

but basically yes, you can just put it all together and put the livestock in. though I would plant is well from the start. not just put in a couple plants, and wait for them to spread. include floating plants as well..such as najas grass, frogbit, water lettuce, that needle-ish plant that I can't remember at the moment... and even moss. or any combination of these. they grow faster, and will help suck up nutrients, as the rooted plants are getting established.

as far as water changes....in the beginning of an npt, doing them is not a bad idea. things are getting established, and water changes help. after a while, you can just top them off. I used distilled water to top off....dosed with a little seachem equalibrium, to put some minerals back in. though you can top off with regular tap water if you'd like. I have to use that in my large tank...because I don't have an r/o unit.

if you'd like....pm me with any questions you have. i'm happy to help you! sounds like a 2.5g npt is perfect! =]

oh lighting....I have led's on my edge, and the plants like them a lot. yours will be fine. I usually use the same sorts of plants in many of my tanks...since I don't do high-tech. a few I like:
*dwarf sag
*italian val
*microsword
*crypts(not the large ones, if you have a small tank)
*anubias(again, not the large species for a small)
*ozelot sword
*narrow leaf chain sword

Echostatic
Oh this is awesome. I must do this some day when I have the room.

APColorado
Jeri, How long did you wait for you to put shrimp in it? I want to do a shrimp bowl myself. You've inspired me.

jerilovesfrogs
thanks! well I didn't wait very long to put them in....a couple days. I would do partial water changes for a month or so...just like any other tank....but after the plants are going well...you can cut it back. I top it off now with distilled water...with some replenish, to give it a little bit of minerals. I reaaally need to thin the moss out. it is crazy!

Daac
I'd love to see some new pictures if you have some... I just started up my own 1 gallon NPT bowl... nothing much though... just some micro-swords and some pond snails. I'll probably add some more plants soon and maybe some shrimp.

jerilovesfrogs
update

bowl_12g_pez_003[1].jpg
bowl_12g_pez_001[1].jpg here are a couple of new pics of the bowl =] the moss is all over more than half of it. and the sag is so long it's curling around.

Echostatic
Could you do sand and add MTS to turn it?

catsma_97504
Thanks for the update Jeri. Looks like your plants are very happy!!

jerilovesfrogs
thanks dena =] yes you can use sand over the soil.....you can add mts, but don't need to in this kind of set up.

APColorado
sooo envious ;-)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidnut
Replies
Views
jerilovesfrogs
Replies
Views
jerilovesfrogs