Jellyfish tank with 3 jellyfishes

1. rachelmaystebbings Initiate Member

Ive started my tank up, been running 3weeks now. My jellies have stopped eating and have shrunk in size. Can anyone help??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please can anyone help, I have a round tank with 3 jellyfish in, been up and running for 3 weeks, the last couple of days, they have all shrunk in size, stopped eating. And one has a tear in the top of him. The tank is 25c and the salt is 8.5 which is what they need. Anyone on here have jellies or have any information to help me. Really worried about them.
    Cheers,
    Rachel

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Rachel welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry I don't know about jellyfish.

Hopefully someone who can help will post soon.

It might help them to know what size the tank is as well as parameters other than salinity (is the tank cycled?)

Are there other fish in the tank?
    If so, what and how many?

Good luck!

3. rachelmaystebbings Initiate Member

Yeh cycle tank with a air pump. No only 3jellyfish in it.

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :). I've never kept jelly's but seen LFS's with them. I know they used a sponge filter and heater. What are you using in there to help their environment?

*oh well?

5. rachelmaystebbings Initiate Member

I've got a heater to keep it at 25c got a air pump built in to the tank. The salt level is 32 which is brilliant I've put ammonia and nitrite in the water to put good Bactria in the water. Also test stripped the water it's all what it should be. Really confused :s

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. rachelmaystebbings Initiate Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404413822.335883.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. fishnewbie33 Well Known Member Member

Your profile states that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle (click on highlighted words for more info).

Try contacting where you got the jellyfish from...they might be able to help you.

From the pictures you posted, I think the tank is much too small for jellyfish. Also, check everything in the tank as most likely something is sharp and caused the injury you noted to the jellyfish.

Also, please list tank water parameters and water changing schedule as they are not in your profile.
    The test kit most often recommended here is the API Master Test Kit (make sure you get the salt water kit).

I have never had a saltwater tank, but the more info you post here, the better able the saltwater tank keepers will be able to help you.

Good luck!

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

If you are cycling your tank with any inhabitant, you dont want to add ammonia or nitrate to the tank as cycling your tank means building up colonies of beneficial bacteria that convert waste into nitrate. I think your jellies may be affected due to your addition of ammonia and nitrate into you tank.