Jellies

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Thunder_o_b, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

from the Akron Ohio zoo. Handheld, available light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

omg,
    how do you take such good photos. i envy you behond comprehension right now.

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I love that last one.
    I'm a bit of an amateur photographer myself, but my camera doesn't do well in the light conditions of my aquarium :(

4. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you FishFanatic :D

How do I do it? Practice, practice, practice…I was 5 when I got my first aquarium, and 8 when I got my first camera. I am 55 soon to be 56….And the gear helps.

Two things that are of importance are breath control, and learning to shoot between heart beats.

Thank you Eienna :D

May I ask what camera you are using?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  5. Eienna

Lumix FH5, I believe.
    Best I could get on what I was allotted for my birthday <3

6. Quinn_Lamb98

eienna- that would not be a panasonic lumix woud it?

7. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ok, I just finished reading the review of this camera on DP review. Seems like a very nice fixed lens camera. Good zoom range 28mm-112mm (35mm equivalent) ISO range up to 6400, 14MP sensor (10 years ago the best pro bodies were 10MP) and it has Leica glass. If you run the ISO high so you can also up the shutter speed, and run it through noise reduction software I think you would be pleased with the results. You are limited as to what you can do with the flash, but there are ways around that as well. You can position always on lamps (watch the heat) to better the lighting. I used to use shop lights when doing high mag film photos of developing fish eggs before I was able to get a flash setup.

8. Eienna

Yup :)
    Hmmmm....food for thought. Thanks for the info!!

9. Quinn_Lamb98

awesome, i have the same camera...

back to the pictures- they are still freakin amazing, i agree with eienna, the last one is the best even though they would probably all win some contest.

10. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thanks again.

I am not much on contests. But the one that I did enter in got me 2nd place in the flower division, and a couple of sandwiches at subway:;banaman

This is a very small flower. It does not fit this room, so I hope it is ok to post it.
    [​IMG]

11. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Amazing photos, love the jellies and the lily(?). I use what ever camera is available to me X-x right now that is a sony cyber shot. Any camera can take good pictures(what i was taught), but the equipment certainly helps a TON(what i learned).

12. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you soltarianknight :)

You are correct, it is not the wand but the magician holding it. In some of the specialized forms you can't get around the need for gear. But even then, there are ways to get around the high cost with a little extra effort. Someone once said "the best camera is the one you have in your hand at the time of the shot."

The flower is some kind of small wild flower, I really have no idea what it is.

I have been checking out the reviews of the Cyber shot (not sure of your model) and it seems like a good solid line of cameras that would yield very good shots.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  13. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I've been looking at the various pictures you've posted on here, and they are all nothing short of amazing. My uncle is the same way when it comes to landscape photography, and when I wanted to try his camera I wasn't even allowed to touch it lol. After looking at the prices of those things I could understand. You've done a great job capture things as the human eye sees them, and even those things that contribute to the beauty of what is being photographed that can't be seen by the human eye.

Too bad I am stuck with point and shoot, but with a lot of tweaking of the settings some shots come out nice.

14. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you chevyguy :)

It is true that the gear can set you back a few bucks. I have done a little landscape shooting but lack the quality wide angle lens needed. Money being what it is, I had to choose, so I went with macro/micro. I can do "regular" photography as well.

I am glad you know that the point and shoots are capable of taking good shots, too often people get caught up in the gear and give up. The laws of light, composition and the triad of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are the same for a point shoot as they are for a pro rig. I know a guy that is retired military (Great Britten Med corps) he lives in Thailand. He has gear that makes mine look like a disposable. The camera that he uses 90% of the time for his published work? A Nikon point and shoot. And the shots are just killer.

15. soltarianknight

Point and shoots can be amazing, and IMO, everyone should have one for the "grunt" work. I love SLR cameras, but because of their cost, i wouldn't take mine half of the places i go to take photos. A lot of what i take(outside of fish keeping) is on the go dirty work where i may crawling through the mud trying for a picture of some Cranes or waist deep in the ocean taking shots of rays. I just couldn't bring myself to take a SLR out there. My little point and shoot(the cyber shot) has been through heck and back, the screen is scratched, the battery cover is broken off(i tape it now) and the buttons are loose, but it still works the same as the day i got it.

I used to have a cruddy little Kodak Easy share. It was already used when i got it and seriously needed a tune up but hey.......
    [​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

You have a very nice shot of what I believe is a female woodland skipper…But, I could be wrong. I am sure it is a skipper, not so sure of the ID in the family.

17. soltarianknight

18. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, but if it is used on a scale that you use it, it is worth the cost. Those nice lenses can be extremely expensive. Although being able to swap lenses would be nice.

It took a bit of learning the settings, but after getting them down my little point and shoot turned out some really nice pictures. I would not have thought that the same laws could be the same on the high end cameras, then again I can't figure out DSLR camera use. That is amazing that someone can have really nice gear, but use a point and shoot to turn out shots that are great too. All your photos that you have posted got me sitting in front of my aquarium playing with settings and taking detailed pictures again. Generally they are just broad photos or preset picture settings.

19. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you for the ID. I checked out the link. I have a few photo stories that people might find interesting.
    That is great :) I look forward to seeing your work:)

20. Eienna

I lost a great deal of my photographs when our computer went kaput T-T when we send it in for repair they had to wipe the system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice