jaws the killer fish.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tigerseye412, Dec 29, 2010.

1. tigerseye412

tigerseye412New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have just joined this site, my question is i have a goldfish who seems to kill every other fish i put in the tank with him, hence the name jaws, he has killed 7 so far, picked them off at the rate of one a week, they seem to end up with the tail end missing, and i cant even find it in the tank, i wonder if hes eaten it, my fish were all around the same size so i cant see why he does it, can anyone offer any advice

2. tyspot1000

tyspot1000Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome to fishlore!

Im not sure what the problem is, By the way, How big is your tank?

Tyler

3. OP
    OP
    tigerseye412

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    jaws

:;ufo im not sure but its quite big and he had plenty of room, it makes no sense to me at all,

4. RuanMaritz

RuanMaritzWell Known MemberMember

Saskatchewan , chaplin ( near swift current ) on a
    Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    welcome to fishlore and could the fish possibly have had fin rot and how big is he? , and you can give us measurements of the tank and well figure out how big it is

5. Walky

WalkyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    2 years
    Please fill out your aquarium info in the my settings dropbar. This will allow us to be more specific with out help.

Some basic info we'll need to know is how long the tanks been up, how big it is, what other fish are in there, and preferrably your water parameters(ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels). Also please check out this link on the nitrogen cycle as most newcomers have not heard of it before. I know this seems like a lot of info right away, and I'm sorry about that.

My guess would be that you have a tank that is too small for your goldfish, most people do because they grow rather large and produce a lot of waste. People say the minimum for goldfish is 20 gallons with 10 gallons for each additional gold fish(20 for 1, 30 for 2, 40 for 3, etc.) If fish feel cramped they can be nippy. Its also possible that your aquarium is not cycled and the other fish died and then the goldfish started to eat them.

Again sorry for the large amount of info, I know it can look intimidating.

6. OP
    OP
    tigerseye412

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    well hes the only one in the tank now, i just bought him a mate today, made sure its about the same size jaws is around 2 yrs old now, so will see how he gets on with his new mate, heres hoping for a happy friendship.

7. Walky

WalkyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    2 years
    If the tank has been up for 2 years then it is likely cycled. Like maritzruan said if you can give us the measurements we can give you the tanks size or you can type them in yourself at the bottom of the page(have to use inches).