Jave Fern Melting From Tips

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
I have a coconut shell with a few java ferns attached. I trimmed off all the old, ragged leaves to leave new growth (even found some plantlets to propagate). The problem is the newer leaves are melting starting from the tips. What is this generally a sign of?

GoldFiska

Well Known
Are you saying that the tips of the new leaves are translucent? This is normal for java fern and it simply means that the leaves are growing.

OP
EbiAqua

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
Are you saying that the tips of the new leaves are translucent? This is normal for java fern and it simply means that the leaves are growing.

The tips are dark green and mushy. I probably ruined them by trimming off the tips but didn't want whatever it was to spread.

Can you provide an of what you mean by translucency?

Here is a picture that shows what was happening:

GoldFiska

Well Known
The tips are dark green and mushy. I probably ruined them by trimming off the tips but didn't want whatever it was to spread.

Can you provide an of what you mean by translucency?

Here is a picture that shows what was happening:

Yes, that is normal. Your java fern is growing

OP
EbiAqua

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
Yes, that is normal. Your java fern is growing

Well ****, I trimmed those portions off because it looked like melting...

OnTheFly

Well Known
Well ****, I trimmed those portions off because it looked like melting...
Actually it doesn't look OK to me either. Should be green of course but new mushy leaves are never a sign of health.

OP
EbiAqua

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
Actually it doesn't look OK to me either. Should be green of course but new mushy leaves are never a sign of health.
Pretty sure I just need to start dosing my tank more than once a month. I have a lot of plants showing me that they're hungry, especially potassium...

OnTheFly

Well Known
Pretty sure I just need to start dosing my tank more than once a month. I have a lot of plants showing me that they're hungry, especially potassium...
More than once a month would help

SeattleRoy

Well Known
HI Fahn,

GoldFiska is absolutely correct; that is the normal look for healthy growth on newer Microsorum pteropus leaves. That is how the new growth looks until air has filled in between the upper and lower epidermis of the leaf.

OP
EbiAqua

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
HI Fahn,

GoldFiska is absolutely correct; that is the normal look for healthy growth on newer Microsorum pteropus leaves. That is how the new growth looks until air has filled in between the upper and lower epidermis of the leaf.

So did I ruin the plant by trimming off the tips of the leaves?

SeattleRoy

Well Known
HI Fahn,

No you didn't ruin the plant however those leaves that were trimmed will likely not lengthen much longer than they already are. Clear tips on java ferns shows up on new leaves when the growing conditions are really good.....so your rhizomes should do fine.

OnTheFly

Well Known
HI Fahn,

No you didn't ruin the plant however those leaves that were trimmed will likely not lengthen more longer than they already are. Clear tips on java ferns shows up on new leaves when the growing conditions are really good.....so your rhizomes should do fine.
Roy, should the tips have a similar consistency (for lack of a better term), as the rest of the leaf? She mentioned "mushy". None of my javas are particularly old but I've not noticed that.

SeattleRoy

Well Known
HI OnTheFly,

The clear tips will definitely be "softer" than the areas where the leaf has completed forming....mushy may be one way to describe it.

thegrid22593

Java fern particularly love potassium. Give it some of that once or twice a week depending on how many plants you have in the tank and you should see good results.

OP
EbiAqua

EbiAqua

Fishlore VIP
Roy, should the tips have a similar consistency (for lack of a better term), as the rest of the leaf? She mentioned "mushy". None of my javas are particularly old but I've not noticed that.
I'm a man :b

a61565f269a0b57e66ee64ee79dced55.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Robinn
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aysu

Did You Know...

Are you tired of getting tank water in your mouth while starting the gravel vac siphon? If so, you might wanna watch this quick and simple video on how to get the siphon started w/out tasting the tank water!
Easy Aquarium Siphon Instructions

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom