Java Root:What is it?

FishFolk
I know it is an African piece but I can't seem to find much - anything - on this specific type. "Java Root" is a fishkeeper's term. Anyone out there know what it really is? It may be savanna as savannah is supposed to be qnarled on one side and flat on the other. But savannah seemseasy to find and I don't think this was. It isn't cheap and is very heavy.

I don't have a picture of it. This piece is about 18 "x 18" inches or so. It isn't a solid block, it has a "center" with four thick "arms".

sirdarksol
It's smooth on one side, gnarled on th other?
Is the smooth side light, with little dots of darker, while the gnarled side is really dark?
If so, it's Mopani, or Mopali, or whatever it's being called now (the "official" name seems to have changed a couple of times in the past year)

FishFolk
Thanks for the help. The smooth side is lighter. I do not recall the dots. I looked at some mopanI in a store in Opelika/Auburn today. It was quite similar. The price was much less than what I was quoted for the java root. maybe I misunderstood the original quote. I'll check.

sirdarksol
It's possible that you misunderstood, or it could be a different version of a similar wood, or it could be someone giving mopanI wood a mysterious name and upping the cost. I don't know.

FishFolk
Thanks for the info - and caution. I'm betting on the first 2. This is a local guy who used to breed cichlids, then got into saltwater. I met him when I went look at his 55 with all the equip and buckets of live rocks and chemicals/salt,live sand. Nice setup! I just couldn't manage saltwater so I had to pass. we stayed and talked about an hour or more then - you know how fish people do Then he listed a few odds and ends for sale - I went back and picked up some holey rock, a powerhead, and a few odds and ends. We were just chatting cichlid breeding, mostly me getting tips as I am new to this! He showed me the fabulous piece of wood he used as a center piece in his display tank. It was a piece of a much larger one that he divided for his breeding tanks - Long story, but I don't think he's trying to up the price. He travels all week, so I may not hear back for a week.

FishFolk
I herad back from Blues. The wood is similar to but not the same as mopani. it is much heavier.

sirdarksol
Criminy. "much heavier" than mopani. That stuff's got to be like Ebony root. MopanI is among the densest, heaviest wood I've ever felt.

FishFolk
Okay - I'm off to search ebony root. Thanks. Again :0 P

FishFolk
According to Cane Quest :

Ebony Wood

Ebony is a dense and heavy wood used for making a variety of items including musical instruments such as bagpipes, violin pegs, chessmen, buttons, handles for cutlery, and of course stick shafts and handles, for which a strong wood is a necessity. Ebony is one of the most difficult woods to carve given its hardness, and traditionally only master carvers were given the opportunity. Ebony trees are relatively small, and are found in the tropical rainforests of Africa, India, Ceylon, Malaysia, and Indonesia. The bark of ebony is tan and generally light in color, and the outer wood is a soft white. It is the inner portion of the tree that is fine-grained, dense, dark colored, strong and heavy, and has been prized for centuries.

Known for its jet-black color, ebony varies from deep black to dark red, with a variety of rich dark shades. Heartwood may display dramatic and irregular striping of bright brown, gray or greenish black on a deep black background. It is genetics that determines the shade, along with moisture, mineral content of the soil, and age/growth rate of the tree. Generally, the darker ebony is found at higher altitudes and from older trees. Ebony with more red tones has its origin at lower altitudes and from soil with greater iron content. Ebony is a scarce and costly wood.

sirdarksol
Yep.
I have been looking into making Okinawan weapons from Ebony. It's definitely an awesome wood.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shane Dostie
Replies
Views
winglessicarus
Replies
Views
Tigg
Replies
Views