Java Moss Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 6, 2010.

1. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

I bought some Java Moss for my 55 gallon tank. It is currently growing on a piece of wood, which is how it was sold. After it grows a bit, can I attach it to some of the bigger rocks in my tank?

Also, my tank only has 17 W bulbs on it. Will the moss be okay with that light?

Thanks.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Yes once the Moss grows a bit you can pull some off the wood & attach it to something else.

How many bulbs are over the tank? With one 17w bulb the Moss would probably struggle but if you have two or more it will probably be ok.

3. OP
    OP
    p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

I've got two. It's a split hood so there is one on each side of the tank. Should I get a more powerful bulb? Can I do that with my existing lighting fixture?

4. Shaina

Shaina Well Known Member Member

If your fixture is for 17W bulbs then you can't get a more powerful bulb without changing the fixture.

It might be okay but your moss probably won't grow quickly or be particularly lush...that stuff is pretty undemanding but you're likely walking the lower threshold

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice