Java Moss

FitSoldier

After seeing a lot of members' tanks in another thread and being somewhat jealous, I kind of want to try plants myself. I know with my livestock I don't have a lot of choices.

I need something that's low maintenance, free floating (not planted to substrate), and easy to grow. With my current setup (aquarium details), would Java Moss work? My fish (except Pleco) don't seem to eat vegetables at all, so I would assume they would ignore plants.

Anybody kept Java Moss successfully with a similar setup?

Thanks!!!

idkausernamesoyeah

After seeing a lot of members' tanks in another thread and being somewhat jealous, I kind of want to try plants myself. I know with my livestock I don't have a lot of choices.

I need something that's low maintenance, free floating (not planted to substrate), and easy to grow. With my current setup (aquarium details), would Java Moss work? My fish (except Pleco) don't seem to eat vegetables at all, so I would assume they would ignore plants.

Anybody kept Java Moss successfully with a similar setup?

Thanks!!!
what do u have in there? what lighting do u have? temp? and im not entirely sure if java moss would be good to be flpating but i personally wouldnt do it like that. u could attach it to like a piece of wood or a rock? a good beginner plant is salvinia minima, it floats. if u have little to no water movement this is the perfect plant.

Upvote 0

cdw202x

I have a two 5.5 gallon tanks with one betta each. I had both free floating and tied down, but eventually gave up with this plant for a number of reasons:
  • I keep the tanks around 80oF, and apparently this is on the warmer side for JM
  • I (still) have a battle between providing needed light for the plants and keeping the light off since the bettas both don't like it. Subsequently, the plants die.
  • I could not find a clean local source of java moss. The only place was a LFS, and with the JM, I got snails, unidentified black worms, duckweed and stringy JM. (luckily, I quarantined it, and eventually did not use it). I would order off of etsy and reddit, but varying amounts came very expensively.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

I have a two 5.5 gallon tanks with one betta each. I had both free floating and tied down, but eventually gave up with this plant for a number of reasons:
  • I keep the tanks around 80oF, and apparently this is on the warmer side for JM
  • I (still) have a battle between providing needed light for the plants and keeping the light off since the bettas both don't like it. Subsequently, the plants die.
  • I could not find a clean local source of java moss. The only place was a LFS, and with the JM, I got snails, unidentified black worms, duckweed and stringy JM. (luckily, I quarantined it, and eventually did not use it). I would order off of etsy and reddit, but varying amounts came very expensively.

Could you possibly rinse the Java Moss to clear off the unidentified worms? Would that get rid of the worms? The snails I'm not too worried about as my fish would gobble them up whole. Duckweed I don' mind.

Upvote 0

cdw202x

Could you possibly rinse the Java Moss to clear off the unidentified worms? Would that get rid of the worms? The snails I'm not too worried about as my fish would gobble them up whole. Duckweed I don' mind.

I did try rinsing the java moss (and friends!) multiple times. I set in a quarantine tanks for a few days, did a water change and alum rinse.. and eventually just gave up. Here {LINK} is the posting I made about it, but the thread just died out.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

Well, I went ahead and added some Java Moss. Attached it to a rock with a rubber band. The Jack Dempsey and Blood Parrot took a few small chunks off but left it afterwards. Jaguar Cichlid left it alone.

Java Moss.jpeg

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Maybe try an anubis they have thicker leaves and can also be attached to your hardscape. And if it does work you can propagate them by taking a razor between the leaves on the rhizome and attach them to other pieces of your hardscape. Cay usually get a single decent size with 5-8 leaves from the chain stores for about $10.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

Maybe try an anubis they have thicker leaves and can also be attached to your hardscape. And if it does work you can propagate them by taking a razor between the leaves on the rhizome and attach them to other pieces of your hardscape. Cay usually get a single decent size with 5-8 leaves from the chain stores for about $10.

I might try that. The Java Moss is in the "probationary" stage right now. If it survives for a few weeks, I'll see if I can't add anything else.

Upvote 0

Dch48

Anubias is the easiest plant to keep. They grow slowly but virtually never lose a leaf. I have 3 that have done great in 2 TopFin tanks with just the lights that came in the hoods and no type of fertilizers or co2 added. It reminds of the Philodendron house plant. It just grows wherever you put it. It even looks similar.

I have Java Moss in one tank. I started with a fairly large clump. It grew for a while but then strangely disappeared. About 4 or 5 months ago, it came back from somewhere and has been growing like a weed ever since. Thinking back, I think it disappeared when I switched from using my tap water to using remineralized distilled. I switched back to the tap about 10 months ago and like I said, the moss suddenly reappeared, seemingly out of nowhere. My Dwarf Frog likes weaving his way through it. I'm going to have to prune it back pretty soon.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

I might try that. The Java Moss is in the "probationary" stage right now. If it survives for a few weeks, I'll see if I can't add anything else.
Java fern might be another one to try cause as like th moss and anubis you can attach that to your hardscape and its a very low demanding plant. it shoots off baby ferns from the bottoms of the leaves and can also be attached after you pull them off or when they release from the leave. That can also probably be found at the chains for pretty cheap.

Upvote 0

Dch48

Java Fern is good but the old leaves gradually die off and all you're left with are the baby plants that never seem to attain full size. It lasts about a year in good shape in my experience. The decaying leaves do provide a good food source for things like Nerite snails though.

My one Anubias Nana has been going strong for over 2 years without ever losing a leaf. It started out with 5 leaves. Now it has at least 20 and is actually branching out in a new shoot. The original Rhizome has developed a jungle of roots going down into the gravel. The other 2 Anubias, another Nana and a narrow leafed one called Congensis are also doing well. That Nana gets enormous new leaves. They all came from PetSmart in those tubes. Every plant I have bought like that has done well.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

Oh my God! Came home today to find the Java Moss just torn apart. It's a mess everywhere..... *Sigh*

My fish are just not cooperating with me. They made salad today. Guess plants is a no go.....

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Oh my God! Came home today to find the Java Moss just torn apart. It's a mess everywhere..... *Sigh*

My fish are just not cooperating with me. They made salad today. Guess plants is a no go.....
don't give up yet. I would still try an Anubis. I think a lot of chiclid owners have them in their tank and like i said just get one to test the waters so to speak.

Upvote 0

Dch48

Yes Anubias are tough and can't be torn apart like that.

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

I salvaged most of the moss and reattached it to the rubber band on the rock. Hopefully they won't attack the moss again since they probably figured it wasn't food. Here's the moss (or what's left of it):

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

don't give up yet. I would still try an Anubis. I think a lot of chiclid owners have them in their tank and like i said just get one to test the waters so to speak.

I just found a great deal online for a bunch of Anubias type plants. Before I go ahead with the purchase, would these plants be able to thrive with very low nitrates, no special lighting, and no additional supplements?

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

I just found a great deal online for a bunch of Anubias type plants. Before I go ahead with the purchase, would these plants be able to thrive with very low nitrates, no special lighting, and no additional supplements?
From my experience wit them they are slow growers and don’t require any special lighting. As far as ferts they feed from the water column so you could try them without anything or grab a bottle of thrivec and do the dosage on the bottle. But they may do just fine without anything.

Upvote 0

Dch48

They should do fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
5 Gallon Tank About Java Moss
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question