java Moss

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Marinedude17422, Jul 22, 2015.

1. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

I have a good amount of Java Moss in my 29g planted tank, but I would really like to just put some moss and grow it into trees, mats, etc. just as an experiment and maybe transfer it over to my next tank!

I have a 5g tank that I no longer use; so would it be as simple as just filling it with water, leaving a light on 24/7, putting some moss into the tank and letting it grow? Would it need a heater, etc?

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

It should be as easy as that. Java moss can survive temps as low as 64 F so you won't need a heater to grow it. You might want a small sponge filter though and begin cycling the tank, I'm not even sure if that's necessary though.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Leaving the light on 24/7 may invite algae and I think Java moss are low light plants anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If not a filter maybe an air stone, just to keep your oxygen/co2 regulated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

+1 I missed that part. Do a regular 10-12 hour light cycle.

6. OP
    OP
    M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

Java Moss x2

So if I'm just going to grow some Java Moss in an aquarium, do I need to put in a fish or 2 just to provide nitrates and poop and leftover fish food, etc.?

the plants would be able to provide them enough oxygen I would think but I would rather not risk any fish if I could!

7. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

No you don't have to add any fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've merged your threads so it doesn't get confusing having two threads on the same subject

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice