Java Moss: Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Laxin10, Apr 19, 2018.

?

Should I add Java Moss to my 55 and 40 gallon?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2018.
  1. Yay

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Nay

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

I've been rocking Java Fern for the past two years in a variety of tanks and personally I have found them to be a bit frustrating. They grow new leaves constantly that are healthy but at the same time the older leaves seem to grow brown and die for no reason, which is replaced by new leaves.

The overall aesthetic is starting to get on my nerves and I've been wanting to add something new as well. I know Java moss can grow insanely fast, which is partially why I want to try it. Others have said it overruns their tank, but I really like the look of it.

None of my fish really bother my plants except my Green Terror, but I think he does it just to be a jerk :/

Thoughts

2. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

Voted for growing java moss, in part because I have it and think it does grow easily and pretty rapidly.

3. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Green Terrors seem to have an affinity for being jerks. Mine do the same thing then look at me as if in "you see that?"

Java Moss is great though. It does grow fast but it really gets you that amazonian/jungle feel which is great for green terrors or jack dempseys

4. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

Java moss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you should get some

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I prefer other varieties such as christmas moss because java gets really stringy and messy for me, but the benefits of any moss are good :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

What's the best place to buy it online?

7. OscarHoya

OscarHoya Valued Member Member

No experience with Java moss, but I thought about adding some for beneficial bacteria. Why not just cut it up and throw it out as needed? Is that a difficult thing to do?

8. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

I personally have Java more and it does well. The only bothersome thing about it is if you have fish that love pecking at it like mine.... It seems there are always bits floating around.

9. Madrigal77

Madrigal77 New Member Member

I've got a tank with Java moss and one with Christmas moss. I much prefer the Christmas moss. It just looks fuller and fluffier. It breaks apart less easy too.

10. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah my Java moss is stuck to some wood right by one of my HOB's, because it generally likes steady water flow and slightly colder temps. (76 degrees here) Don't have many tanks without it, so it gets my thumbs up!

11. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i could never get java moss to grow in my tank, i dont like how it looks as well. i prefer flame moss or other types of moss but if you like it then i think you should add it

12. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

It's kinda random as far as the frequency of availability. Most web stores DO sell it, but about 90% of the time, it's sold out! : ( And If and when you opt to choose Ebay, (usually that's my very LAST resort to be honest!) do be very wary and careful who you buy it from, as I've ordered it a few times, and got WAYYYYYYY too many very tiny, hitchhiking baby pest snails!

13. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

IMG_8135.JPG
    March 11th
    Image1524320819.719024.jpg
    April 21st

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice