Java Moss Worth Saving?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fahn, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Here is the current status of the Java moss tied to wood in my 5 gallon.

f67c2d5d98aa0575cbd83c54afcfc702.jpg

Is there a way to save it, or should I cut my losses and strip it out? I bought it from aquariumplants.com and half of it arrived as brown, woody stems.

2. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

give it a chance, strip the dead parts off

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It's not necessarily the brown parts, but all the brown hair algae. Best way to clean it up?

4. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I think Java Moss is hardy enough to stand some heat so maybe you should look into either hydrogen peroxide dips or bleach dips to get rid of it.

5. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Can you recommend a good ratio for a bleach solution?

6. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I dipped my Java Moss in bleach before adding it to my tank with a ratio of 19:1 and it lived with 0 damage.

7. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I'm pretty sure my shrimp (RCS and Amano) clean those up.

8. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I've heard both sides, that RCS will eat it, and that they only eat biofilm and won't touch the stuff.

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

If it arrived like that i would try and get atleast a partial refund but yes it should be saveable.

10. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It was pretty brown but is starting to spring back. My biggest issue is all the darn algae.

I deliberately left the lights on too long because I wanted to promote green hair algae on the glass but got this ugly, wispy brown cotton candy looking algae instead.

Just upgraded the lighting to a Finnex Stingray so hopefully better lighting will help as well...

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I don't target feed my shrimp, so I guess they're more opportunistic scavengers.

12. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do bleach, peroxide works great in algae and is completely safe. Once dipped you rcs will be all over it, they love dying plant matter

13. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

i would do anything ionic that keeps neutral pH so if you suggest a 'dip' using bleach or peroxide then dip after in vinegar. personally id just keep it in warm saline solution so i dont have to do any extra chemistry. the java can handle the salt, but not the algae.

14. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I won't have shrimp in the tank for another 2-3 weeks.

15. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

To get green hair algae or green spot algae you need to dose with liquid Iron.

Edit: I guess I should tell you why: Iron is needed to produce chlorophyll.

16. CyclsnipasValued MemberMember

Did you mean to get rid of algae dose iron? Cuz I have GSA and to rid it another member suggested raising my phosphates...will dosing iron do the same?

17. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

No. Iron will increase photosynthesis, but won't get rid of algae. The theory behind it is extra chlorophyll production will boast the plants growth and outcompete the algae. However, it's a temp fix. If you have iron loving plants great. If not excess iron can lead to staghorn and other types of algae.
    Iron is almost like using peroxide or excel for algae, will fix temporarily but until root of issue is corrected it will keep coming back.

18. CyclsnipasValued MemberMember

Hi! You suggested the phosphates to me in another thread. Haven't been able to get any phosphate additive yet. I have iron though so I thought it would do the same thing. Guess not, glad l asked! Thanks again!

19. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

@Cyclsnipas Too funny! You can certainly try the iron until you get phosphates, just keep an eye out for any negative effects...
    Remind me again what you are using as a fert? Trying to remember the discussion...

20. CyclsnipasValued MemberMember

Sure! It was the thread about my massive Madagascar lace plant, how it's growing like mad. Lol. You noticed some gsa on the anubius in the picture, suggested upping my phosphates to get rid of it.

What is a safe level of phosphates for removing algae?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice