Java Moss Worth Saving?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Here is the current status of the Java moss tied to wood in my 5 gallon.

f67c2d5d98aa0575cbd83c54afcfc702.jpg

Is there a way to save it, or should I cut my losses and strip it out? I bought it from aquariumplants.com and half of it arrived as brown, woody stems.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It's not necessarily the brown parts, but all the brown hair algae. Best way to clean it up?

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I dipped my Java Moss in bleach before adding it to my tank with a ratio of 19:1 and it lived with 0 damage.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it arrived like that i would try and get atleast a partial refund but yes it should be saveable.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If it arrived like that i would try and get atleast a partial refund but yes it should be saveable.
It was pretty brown but is starting to spring back. My biggest issue is all the darn algae.

I deliberately left the lights on too long because I wanted to promote green hair algae on the glass but got this ugly, wispy brown cotton candy looking algae instead.

Just upgraded the lighting to a Finnex Stingray so hopefully better lighting will help as well...

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would do anything ionic that keeps neutral pH so if you suggest a 'dip' using bleach or peroxide then dip after in vinegar. personally id just keep it in warm saline solution so i dont have to do any extra chemistry. the java can handle the salt, but not the algae.

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To get green hair algae or green spot algae you need to dose with liquid Iron.

Edit: I guess I should tell you why: Iron is needed to produce chlorophyll.

Cyclsnipas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To get green hair algae or green spot algae you need to dose with liquid Iron.

Edit: I guess I should tell you why: Iron is needed to produce chlorophyll.
Did you mean to get rid of algae dose iron? Cuz I have GSA and to rid it another member suggested raising my phosphates...will dosing iron do the same?

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No. Iron will increase photosynthesis, but won't get rid of algae. The theory behind it is extra chlorophyll production will boast the plants growth and outcompete the algae. However, it's a temp fix. If you have iron loving plants great. If not excess iron can lead to staghorn and other types of algae.
Iron is almost like using peroxide or excel for algae, will fix temporarily but until root of issue is corrected it will keep coming back.

Cyclsnipas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No. Iron will increase photosynthesis, but won't get rid of algae. The theory behind it is extra chlorophyll production will boast the plants growth and outcompete the algae. However, it's a temp fix. If you have iron loving plants great. If not excess iron can lead to staghorn and other types of algae.
Iron is almost like using peroxide or excel for algae, will fix temporarily but until root of issue is corrected it will keep coming back.
Hi! You suggested the phosphates to me in another thread. Haven't been able to get any phosphate additive yet. I have iron though so I thought it would do the same thing. Guess not, glad l asked! Thanks again!

Cyclsnipas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sure! It was the thread about my massive Madagascar lace plant, how it's growing like mad. Lol. You noticed some gsa on the anubius in the picture, suggested upping my phosphates to get rid of it.

What is a safe level of phosphates for removing algae?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom