Java moss white fluff

ZenNoob

Hi guys,

I'm new to plants, and decided to try some stuff that would be hard for me to kill. I added some java moss and although it has grown over the last 2 weeks I noticed white fuzz on the tips of the plant, are these produced by the moss to stick to surfaces? Or is it something sinister?

Also when I am here, should I be adding a liquid fertilizer for java moss, Christmas moss and moss balls.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_130757452.jpg
    IMG_20200412_130757452.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 103

YellowGuppy

I had this too, and it got me worried as well!

It's perfectly harmless. I think it's a response to being moved to different water. It'll go away on its own after a few weeks and then you aren't likely to see it again (unless you transplant it to a different environment again).

ZenNoob

I had this too, and it got me worried as well!

It's perfectly harmless. I think it's a response to being moved to different water. It'll go away on its own after a few weeks and then you aren't likely to see it again (unless you transplant it to a different environment again).
Hi yellow guppy, thanks for the response, this is great news, thanks to much. Do you think I should be using something like seachems flourish for mosses?

aoiumi

Hi yellow guppy, thanks for the response, this is great news, thanks to much. Do you think I should be using something like seachems flourish for mosses?
It depends on how much nutrients are in the water already. If you have a lot of fish and only a few plants, you don't need any ferts.

Plants are a lot more complex than they look on the surface, and I recommend Ecology Of The Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad if you want to get a really good understanding of them, but if you just have a few slow-growing mosses you probably don't need any ferts.

ZenNoob

It depends on how much nutrients are in the water already. If you have a lot of fish and only a few plants, you don't need any ferts.

Plants are a lot more complex than they look on the surface, and I recommend Ecology Of The Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad if you want to get a really good understanding of them, but if you just have a few slow-growing mosses you probably don't need any ferts.
Hi, yeah I've just the few mosses. However I will pick up that book, as I am eager to learn. Some of the planted tanks I've seen are amazing

aoiumi

Hi, yeah I've just the few mosses. However I will pick up that book, as I am eager to learn. Some of the planted tanks I've seen are amazing

It's definitively more for the science-inclined, but it explains how to make an incredibly low-maintenance tank that also has great plant growth. The planted tank, beyond a simple tank with only a few plants, is split into low-tech and high-tech. Low-tech is very stable and easy once set up, as well as pretty cheap, while high-tech gives you more control, lets you have more types of plants and more fish, but takes a lot more work and money.

My tank is just a 'normal' tank that's not set up for plants but still has some anyways. There's a lot of different ways to set up a tank.

Good luck in your tank adventures!

ZenNoob

Thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Java Moss is being weird