Java Moss Turning Grey

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Tman2902, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

As the title has mentioned my java moss I have moved over to my 10gallon has started to turn grey! Could this just be it dieing back? Don't have the water parameters but the temp is sitting at 70 and the pH is roughly 7. The tank has previously used media from my betta tanks not sure if that helps. I gave the plants some light yesterday to tide the over till tomorrow. The light I used was cfl desk lamp...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Here is a better photo sorry about the flash...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Is it floating?, it looks like it's floating. How long do you leave the lights on the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

The java moss is attached to some drift wood not sure the type but it is aquarium safe. The light was on yesterday for maybe 6hrs since the tank was just planted this weekend. Do you think a snail would help?

5. AquaticBrandon

I don't think a snail will work. Do you turn on the lights every day? Java moss needs light to grow. Is the moss submerged In the water because it looks dry?

6. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

It is fully submerged at the bottom of the tank. Gonna do some experimentation. Is there such a thing as to much light? I did a water change yesterday could it have been exposed for too long?
    Ps the light was on during water change

7. AquaticBrandon

Yeah there can be Too much light. For planted tanks it's recommended to run the lights on for 8-12 hours. I run my lights on my planted tanks for 12 hours.

8. AquaticBrandon

Wait, how long was the java moss exposed to air during the water change? It could've been that when you were doing the water change the Java moss got burnt a little from the light and dried up.

9. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Couldn't have been more the ten minutes... Looks better thought left the light off for a bit.

Attached Files:

10. AquaticBrandon

It probably dried up a bit. It should get better in a few days :)

11. D

Dustin Boisen Valued Member Member

Do you use excel in the tank?

12. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

I don't use any fertilizer. I heard somewhere that mosses as well as other non-substrate plants don't generally need them. Not sure if this helps but my light is a T5 HO putting out 6400k, 17 watt.

13. D

Dustin Boisen Valued Member Member

Excel isnt a fertilizer, but it is a co2 substitute. Anyways i over dosed it once and my java moss did what yours did mine come back and i have a ton of it now, but thats not what your problem is. That was my only idea from all the info you said your not doing anything wrong id get it time. If it dosent come back id agree with it getting burnt out during the water change or something got in the water.

14. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

It is looking better this morning. Thanks for all the help guys!

15. AquaticBrandon

Good to hear it's doing better :)

16. sophi

sophi Well Known Member Member

I posted this in another thread, but from my experience, java moss doesn't really thrive in a high light/high tech tank (from my experience). I have it in all 3 tanks, and 2 of them are low/moderate light. That's where they're bright green, and super healthy. The high light tank though looks similar to yours, but more brown/dark green. It just never has thrived, so I'm guessing the light might be too harsh for this plant.

If the moss looks kinda dirty to you, I recommend adding shrimp (amano, red cherry shrimp, etc). They will clean the moss like there is no tomorrow. Seriously, in one of my betta's tank, the moss was practically a debris trap and looked disgusting. Added a few RCS and within 4 days, it was bright green and clean. They literally will make this moss look x10000 times better. I definitely recommend adding a few of them.

17. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Thanks for the idea! The 10 was gonna be a cherry shrimp colony so I'm interested in adding them in. However doesn't you betta try and eat you shrimps?

18. sophi

sophi Well Known Member Member

Honestly, it will be a hit or miss with betta's and shrimp. With my previous two betta's, the male got along with the shrimp but the female practically killed them all. With my current two betta's, they did chase them a bit and possibly killed a couple, but now they have gotten used to them. Like, they don't even notice the shrimp's presence anymore lol.

Most of the time, if you provide the shrimp with places to hide (plants, rocks, wood, decor, etc), then they have a good shot at surviving. Most betta's that chase the shrimp will soon realize they aren't fast enough to catch them, and will basically give up. I also only use the cull RCS that have little to no color so they don't stand out too much. This allows them to camouflage and stay hidden to the point where even I can rarely find them.
    What you can do is buy a small amount of RCS, and put them in a clear cup inside the tank. Watch how your betta reacts, and you'll get an idea whether they'll be too aggressive or not. A bit of chasing and pecking is normal for the first day or so. Yes, you might end up with a couple of dead shrimp (though I've personally never found a dead shrimp due to my betta's) but they will most likely get used to them and not bother them.
    That's just my experience with mixing the two. I had one of my previous betta's be more aggressive to snails than he was to shrimp lol. Then I had the female that wanted to kill everything in site. They are strange animals... Results will vary, but all you can do is try. Just get the least colorful shrimp you can find and provide lots of hiding spots for them, and they should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice