Java moss survived being boiled...

• Thread starter Carpio
  • Start date

Carpio

I boiled some driftwood that had tiny bits of java moss stuck to it. Just wanted to kill some fungus on the wood. 1 month later, the bits of java moss that were stuck to the wood is growing again. Mind you they were boiled for a good 15 min. I'm shocked!!! Life finds a way indeed! Had to tell someone! Haha!

Vishaquatics

Well Known
That's impressive! This reminds me of a time that I was redoing a tank for a client and they wanted to kill the algae that was attached to various parts of the sand substrate. They also had a large amount of crypt rhizome/roots that were also in the substrate. We ended up boiling nearly 100lb of sand/gravel substrate for 30 minutes and then put it back in the tank. Within about 2-3 weeks, there were about a dozen baby crypts popping up from the broken rhizomes that were mixed in the substrate. It was miraculous that it could survive such extreme conditions.

Carpio

I can imagine how surprised you were because I was doing double takes myself! I couldn't believe it when I saw the little green stems get longer and longer! I should clarify that the little bits of java moss were indeed rhizomes that had attached themselves to the driftwood. So your story is VERY similar! Not all the java moss rhizomes survived but about half of them did and are displaying new growth! Thanks for sharing and sorry for getting so excited! Haha!

Top Bottom