Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Java Moss Sudden Browning, Banana Plant Dissolving Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ppls1000, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ppls1000Valued MemberMember

I have attached three pictures. I put Java moss in my shrimp tank in Oct and it did amazing. It grew so well and was very green and thick. Then all of a sudden in March/April I noticed it started to brown and thin a little. There are also tons of tiny segments of moss on the floor of tank. Nothing has changed except the sudden browning and thinning. I do use liquid ferts. Any ides anyone?

75 temp
    GH 6-7
    KH 3-4
    TDS 100-110
    I did notice today my nitrates read at 60-80 but have fixed that.

Only cherry shrimp, java moss, java fern, anubias and banana plant.

Speaking of which my banana plant was growing amazing and had like 6 lily pads to the surface then everything just stopped, bananas went away. leaves all dissolved.

Here is my shrimp tank in December
    Java Moss Dec.jpg

Here is the start of my shrimp tank in October
    Java Moss Start Oct.jpg

Here is my shrimp tank now in April
    Java Moss April.jpg

2. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I've read somewhere that Banana Plants don't live long. Mines was the same way, it literally disappeared... I wasn't paying close attention and then I realized one day that it was completely gone.

As for the Java Moss, I'm not completely sure but maybe it needs some tlc. Stir it around a bit, propagate by breaking/cutting them, pick out the yucky parts, etc. Usually, plants grow well with some pruning. My Java Moss did particularly well when I had it in a tank full of Odessa Barbs, who seem to like pecking at it. It also does well in my baby Jaguar Cichlid tank, as she likes to roll the moss ball around and rest underneath it.

3. SeattleRoyWell Known MemberMember

Hi @ppls1000

Specifically what "liquid ferts" are you using?

4. Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

My java moss went crazy when I started ripping off hunks for wabi kusa balls. It's like it regenerated itself overnight!