Java moss still isn’t growing

TheAnglerAquarist

So I have had my aquarium for at least 3 months now and some of my plants have been doing better than others. It seems like my Java moss is surviving but not thriving. My moss breaks apart sometimes and then grows, to a certain point then stops, it even withers away sometimes. It is confusing. I always hear how easy Java moss is to grow but it hasn’t done great for me. Is there any better alternatives? I love the way subswassertang looks and people say it is hardy. Christmas moss is nice too, but I need something for the nice natural moss look. Please Excuse the particles in the picture as I just did a water change and also cleaned filter media. The picture is the biggest piece of the moss.

Attachments

• F3F3FE53-17EF-4F15-92AA-999DFD9827ED.jpeg
    F3F3FE53-17EF-4F15-92AA-999DFD9827ED.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 30

ruud

Does it reside on a dead spot (minimal/no water flow) in your tank?
I would take it out, place it in a vase with tap water, put the vase next to a window, without getting direct sunlight, and place an airstone at the bottom of the vase. Miracles will happen.

TheAnglerAquarist

I would take it out, place it in a vase with tap water, put the vase next to a window, without getting direct sunlight, and place an airstone at the bottom of the vase. Miracles will happen.
It is right under the the flow of the hob filter, I like that idea with the air stone, maybe I’ll put it in my snail jar and that could work
Okay, I have it all set up except for the air pump. Is it 100 percent neccisary? I have a baby bladder snail in their to help with algae

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 16

Ginger2078

I had the same problem with java moss at the beginning of my tank set up. First batch got so brown and wasn’t coming back to live no matter what I did, it had to be throwing away.I had a better luck with whipping moss at the time of the tank establishment. After about a year of running, I tried java
FB4F691F-C1B5-4196-BB65-18170F494E44.jpeg
282C4CE5-A742-457F-88AD-F090D2657597.jpeg moss and few other mosses and had a good success with it .

TheAnglerAquarist

It is right under the the flow of the hob filter, I like that idea with the air stone, maybe I’ll put it in my snail jar and that could work
Okay, I have it all set up except for the air pump. Is it 100 percent neccisary? I have a baby bladder snail in their to help with algae
So I just put the air stone in
I had the same problem with java moss at the beginning of my tank set up. First batch got so brown and wasn’t coming back to live no matter what I did, it had to be throwing away.I had a better luck with whipping moss at the time of the tank establishment. After about a year of running, I tried java
FB4F691F-C1B5-4196-BB65-18170F494E44.jpeg
282C4CE5-A742-457F-88AD-F090D2657597.jpeg moss and few other mosses and had a good success with it .
Cool

Attachments

• 115CCA9E-12AD-4741-893E-1934151B6027.jpeg
    115CCA9E-12AD-4741-893E-1934151B6027.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 12

Rose of Sharon

If you would, could you post pics every now and then? I am having an issue with my java moss, too. It's not growing as much as I had hoped. If you have success, I will try the same experiment. :)

TheAnglerAquarist

If you would, could you post pics every now and then? I am having an issue with my java moss, too. It's not growing as much as I had hoped. If you have success, I will try the same experiment. :)
Will do!

ruud

So I just put the air stone in

Cool
Excellent; if you like to speed up the process; add the tiniest bit of nutrients or perhaps a snail (one that would suit and stay in this little vase, like a ramshorn snail), and don't forget to change water sometimes. You need to top off water anyhow; so make that a weekly water change.

Be careful with direct sunlight; filamentous algae can appear quickly at the expense of moss growth. Once your moss really starts to grow and occupy the vase considerably; short periods of direct sunlight will actually speed up moss growth even further.
Excellent; if you like to speed up the process; add the tiniest bit of nutrients or perhaps a snail (one that would suit and stay in this tank, like a ramshorn snail), and don't forget to change water sometimes. You need to top of water anyhow; so make that a weekly water change.

Be careful with direct sunlight; filamentous algae can appear quickly at the expense of moss growth. Once your moss really starts to grow and occupy the vase considerably; short periods of direct sunlight will actually speed up moss growth even further.
Come to think of it, I noticed you use a hob; I actually have moss growing in my hob in the tank that I use as my avatar. If you take a closer look at this image, you can actually see the moss where the water flows out of the hob. The moss stays in place due to the lava split that also acts as my filter media. The tank gets direct sunlight for 2 hours a day; the moss growths crazy.

But I have used the trick with the vase and airstone multiple times; it always works. I also have a vase with moss and neocaridina shrimp, without the airstone. That too works, albeit the moss grows very slowly, but the shrimp breed.

TheAnglerAquarist

Excellent; if you like to speed up the process; add the tiniest bit of nutrients or perhaps a snail (one that would suit and stay in this tank, like a ramshorn snail), and don't forget to change water sometimes. You need to top of water anyhow; so make that a weekly water change.

Come to think of it, I noticed you use a hob; I actually have moss growing in my hob in the tank that I use as my avatar. If you take a closer look at this image, you can actually see the moss where the water flows out of the hob. The most stays in place dus to the lava split that also acts as my filter media. The tank gets direct sunlight for 2 hours a day; the moss growths crazy.

But I have used the trick with the vase and airstone multiple times; it always works. I also have a vase with moss and neocaridina shrimp, without the airstone. That too works, albeit the moss grows very slowly, but the shrimp breed.
Nice I have a sponge filter but i am using the air stone and pump so I have my spongefilter elsewhere. I have already done a water change today and yesterday I added two drops of fertilizer in, I might add one of my bigger bladder snails I have in a jar about 3 feet away on the windowsill

TheAnglerAquarist

This should take around a month, right?

ruud

At least a month. But the process can speed up significantly with a snail or adding nutrients/nitrates; warmer water/room temp, up to 77; and bright light.

Ah, I already mentioned this :). So in sum; patience...

TheAnglerAquarist

At least a month. But the process can speed up significantly with a snail or adding nutrients/nitrates; warmer water/room temp, up to 77; and bright light.

Ah, I already mentioned this :). So in sum; patience...
Well, I did a fishless cycle, I can be patient :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views