Question Java Moss... slow growing

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had some Java Moss growing in my 50 gallon. It's growing and certainly not dying but at this point I believe it is the slowest growing plant in my tank. I was hoping it'd take off though I suppose it's understandable that it hasn't since I haven't done any water column ferts yet.
The moss gets the default 24/7 schedule from a Finnex Planted 24/7 light and I don't have a Co2 injector. Think that it'd start taking off if I gave them some ferts?

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Well java moss is a pretty slow grower.I don't use co2 but I do use ferts and its definitely the slowest grower I have.I'm just happy that I can keep it green now haha

OP
Ebreus

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay now I am confused. I was under the impression that this stuff was suppose to grow quickly. I want to... fill in a rather large area with the stuff.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ebreus said:
Okay now I am confused. I was under the impression that this stuff was suppose to grow quickly. I want to... fill in a rather large area with the stuff.
Then get more java moss.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had a 4x4 piece of java moss for 2 months now. Everything else in the tanks has doubled in size but that sucker is just.. sitting there.

wishuponafish

Reaction score
Strangely, I had a tank for a while with some java moss and assorted random plants but with a non-full spectrum light so all the other plants, even anacharis was turning yellow but only the java moss was growing noticeably.

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, it will grow in very low light so when there's almost no light, compared to everything else, it just takes off!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Spread the java moss out a bit more to allow the water to kind of flow through it to thicken it up and don’t leave it in a ball so all of it gets a bit of light... doesn’t need much just a little

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Recently moved most of a patch of java moss to a different tank only leaving a few very small sprigs in the original tank. Since the move the small pieces are growing noticeably faster than the large piece I moved. Not sure what that means, LOL just some experience. It may give credence to the poster who said spread it out for the water to move freerer through it.

New Threads