Java Moss runaway? Question 

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
???Okay, my 20 gallon has been getting darker and darker, baby guppies and RCS all over the place, adult guppies going about their lives as normal.The 20 gallon is beside the turtle tank at the end of a long table, sites broadside to the turtles( hope that makes sense) any way, I can not get a good look into that end of the tank, only can see through from the "short" side and then there are always fish swimming in front of my eyeballs as I try to peer through.

Long story short, that end is where my java moss was, I started with two little handsfull, I pulled out a "mat" for lack of better term tonight, really gross, does not resemble java moss at all, it is more like a curtain of algae, wrapped around absoloutly everything. Right full of pond snails of coarse so I put it in water in a bucket and hope some of my fishlore buddies can help me out. My java moss is no where to be seen so is this disgusting wall I pulled out tonight just over grown moss or somekind of algae? There are no stems like the moss started out with, just kind of looks like a green placenta. I should search through it as maybe my java moss has suffocated in it, but it is so gross and cruchy with all those snails in there. Once I pulled it out I had baby guppies and the shrimp all scrambling for cover, they seemed to like it but it was threatening to take over the whole 20 gallon tank, there are still bits left in there.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Could you post a picture?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it really sounds like algae has covered your java moss, pics would definitely help.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree that it sounds like algae has taken over your Java Moss along with the critters. I have a large clump of Java Moss in my 33 gallon tank. It's surely grown over the past year.

Every time I do a water change in this tank I remove the moss and swish it around in siphoned tank water (not tap water). It needs to be fluffed and cleaned from time to time so that it doesn't get full of debris, food, waste, algae.

If you have fry in the tank I suggest you wait until they are large enough that they don't use the Java Moss for hiding.

Ken

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you everyone, I did a search on good ole You Tube and have decided that this mess is some kind of hair algae. I can try to get a pic for you as I picked through it last night and found a few stems of java moss clinging to life and a poor spear of cabomba and a few pieces of hornwort and 9000 snails. Where did all my java moss go? It is like it just dissapeared. I still have a small clump in the other corner and it is growing and doing well. I can't believe how this junk smothered everything, it completely encased a fake plant. I'll post a pic tonight as I have to do some hard core house cleaning as we have house inspections today! Hope we don't get evicted.

Attachments

Steve420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm going to guess green hair algae....I had a similar issue with some Peacock Moss I had in a 10 gallon. The only cure I found was either removing the moss completely (not gonna happen in my tanks) or dosing 2x the recommended amount of Excel everyday. It took a week or so, but it did go away.
I have to keep up with extra dosing of Excel....but I'm okay with that! It beats looking at that nasty algae.

But take care of it now, or it'll spread and spread fast!!!

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what a mess, now it is in the shrimp tank! I am positive it is caused by the sunlight but it is the only location for me to put my tanks right now, I will have to keep the blinds closed during what little direct sunlight time we get on that side. Shrimp are turning red and dying, one every day. I did a 50% wc tonight, this algae seems to stink and worse yet my java moss is stuck inside of it, how do I get my moss out or do I just give up and buy new stuff. Also how do I dispose of this junk - throw it in the garden or will the turtles eat it? Does this algae affect the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate balance? I was trying to pick the moss out and the shrimp were on it at the same time and refused to get off, hard to fight with a cute but persistant shrimp. Maybe while they are entertained with a veggie wafer at the bottom of the tank I will take out the rest of the scraps of this disaster.

Attachments

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that you should check your parameters. I have had the same problem in a tank of mine. It doesn't get enough light and is a bit neglected. On one side of the tank the java moss does great and on the other end it gets slimed!!!! Throw out the ugly and check your nitAtes. That tank is on my sunproch facing east and gets a bit of direct sunlight very early for 3 hours or so.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads