Java Moss Question

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Didn't mean to sound big headed or come across that way I apologize if it seemed that way. You are right in what you say sometimes you have a bit of luck also when you set up aquariums even using modest equipment where the conditions seem to just fall into place. I am using this website to gain knowledge as also trying to share. I don't know everything☺

Very much into my moss balls at the moment, great for sucking up any nasty waste and also great for fry to feed. Into kribs at mo also.

The proper moss ball I mean, supposed to be type of algae so i have read. first time I've kept them but Krib fry + adult's love them. Java moss also great for fry.

Java moss would grow in a mud puddle. So you will be fine
I'm guessing your not a fan of amano type tank set - ups?

The last reply was meant as a question not as a snide remark. I am new to forum and just trying to find my way around, not very technologically advanced. Bit technophobic. Just trying to learn how to use at moment.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@phantom
Yes, Java moss is one of the first I tried when I started. I tied it to a piece of slate. At first nothing then started to turn brown. After 3 weeks I was ready to give up and toss it but then it started to grow. See Before and After. Not the greatest pics but you can see the growth after 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Start
Java Moss.jpg

After 6 weeks
Java Moss 6 weeks.jpg

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@phantom
Yes, Java moss is one of the first I tried when I started. I tied it to a piece of slate. At first nothing then started to turn brown. After 3 weeks I was ready to give up and toss it but then it started to grow. See Before and After. Not the greatest pics but you can see the growth after 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Start
View attachment 436754

After 6 weeks
View attachment 436755
I see you have a moss ball in the pick also, do you squeeze them out as I have read? Or just turn them occasionally as I do? Sorry if changing the subject.

Moss looks good what did you use to tie? For future referance. Have tried light fishing line for anubias, to fiddly and scared of damaging plant with it, it took eventually by self on log.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just squeeze out the moss balls when doing a water change. I have used cotton thread, fishing line and have even tied a bunch of Java Moss to a suction cup and floated in my tanks. It grows like crazy. Protective cover for the fry. For the Anubias, I used a cable tie around the rhizome. See pic.

Anubias (2).jpg

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cheers will have to give mine a squeeze next water change, I have read that they soak up a lot of waste nitrate and probably nitrite to a limit, but in effect I can see how these acting in the same way as a filter sponge need a squeeze now an again. Good idea with zip ties never thought of it. Even though anubius slow growing rooting system is pretty strong and vigorous.

If nitrite present at all saying

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow your java moss is spectacular!! Ours has been in the tank for over 2 years and there still hasn't been much growth. Well there's certainly more than we started with but there's still not very much of it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom