Java moss quarantine?

StudentFishKeeper

So next Tuesday I'm going to get 5 cherry shrimps with some java moss and I was wondering how I should quarantine the java moss before adding it into my aquarium. I've heard of the 1:20 bleach:water dip, hydrogen peroxide dip (not sure what the ratio is), washing under warm water, salt dip (don't know the ratio either) and the regular 3 week quarantine method in water. So I was wondering which option is the best and safest? What are some of you guys' opinions and thoughts?

EricV

What are you trying to prevent being spread from the java moss?

StudentFishKeeper

I'm trying to prevent the spread of non beneficial things from the java moss. For example, parasites, snails, algae, and etc.

EricV

Haha I meant was their anything in particular. For example I despise most snails (aside from MTS) so they are my primary concern.

Anyway though an alum dip will kill off snails and snail eggs and most algae (algae is near impossible to keep out anyway...it's just a matter of controlling it lol). I'd imagine it is rough on pathogens as well but I consider well rinsed plants to be an unlikely vector of contamination overall. The only way you're going to be positive on that one though is lengthy quarantine.

jileha

I recently used a salt dip for new plants including java moss, which came heavily baby snail-infested. I used a recipe I found online: 1 cup of salt without iodine or other additives per 1 gallon water. I mixed 1/2 gallon.

Rinse the plants for about 10-20 seconds in that solution, making sure to keep roots out of the water (not applicable to java moss, but I thought I throw this in for the complete recipe). Then rinse thoroughly under tap water.

I'm not sure how well the saline solution works on parasites, but salt is generally bad for smaller animals such as snails or shrimp. I would imagine it also kills most, if not all parasites. Therefore, rinse the moss really well before you add it to your shrimp, or maybe even soak it for another day in dechlorinated water to be on the save side.

Vasalissa

I do about 1tbsp per 1L of water (Sorry I don't know about gallons). I soak that for about 10-15 minutes then sit it in fresh water for 5 minutes then rinse in fresh water and add it to the tank.
I have NEVER had an issue with snails (meaning I have had no snails in the tank) or parasites since I started doing this method.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimpnoob97
Replies
Views
aniroc
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views