Java Moss Or Maemo!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ToRo, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ToRoValued MemberMember

Would like to put a Miss ball in my aquarium, which would be best, java moss or marimo?

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Why not both? :)

Java moss is best tied to rocks and wood, and is a slow grower until it gets well established.

Marimo balls are tiny little filters made of algae.

Both are beneficial and look good in a low light tank. I have both in my 5 gallon.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Java moss and marmio are different, the java will be loose and will need to be tied onto something(you can use fishing line) and the marmio will stay together but can be "smoothed" onto things if wanted.:)

4. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What size tank? Do you have shrimps?

Both would be good, but I would go with java moss! The Marimo moss balls grow pretty slow, while java moss grows faster so you can always shape it or use it to what ever means! I have a couple of java moss mats in my 40 breeder. I also have a 3-3.5" marimo ball in my tank

5. Adriana NValued MemberMember

I think that you should get both. They each have their benefits. For example, java moss grows pretty quickly and provide hiding places for smaller fish, but can overrun your tank. Marimo moss balls are beautiful, but can carry hitchhikers, which can be bad or good. For example, my moss balls gave me copepods, daphnia, detritus worms, and I recently found this red, flat worm thing.

6. ToRoValued MemberMember

Thank you, I will see what I can find today!

Thanks, good to know! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice