Java Moss On Amazon Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Epicoz, Apr 18, 2019.

1. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I am trying to order java moss off amazon and I’m concerned about pest. I’m afraid it will come with snails and I won’t have the heart to kill them. Also is there anything I should do before putting it in my tank.

2. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

In all the plants I've ever purchased in LFS they've all come with snails. I don't mind snails as if you don't overfeed they stay manageable and most clean up algae. I give my plants a 1 minute dip in bleach solution on arrival or Potassium Permanganate, then rinse in dechlorinated water. Some quarantine plants for awhile too.

3. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I don’t want to kill snails will bleach kill them?

4. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Yes, thats the purpose of it. Most times the snails are ramshorns and if you don't overfeed your fish the poplulation will dwindle naturally, and the fish eat the smaller ones. Other things such as hydra you don't want piggybacking on your plants so a dip is beneficial.

5. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I ordered some on amazon that based on reviews had a 50 50 chance of having pest

6. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

The snails on plants can be very micro, you might not even notice them until you see some "funny looking specks" on your glass one day! So the decision is yours, if you don't have the heart to kill them...enjoy them instead as they have a good side to them too!

7. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

How do I make sure there is no parasites on them.

8. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

You do the dip or quarantine them for a period.
    1 ml bleach to 1 L water. 30 secs to 1 minute not more. Mosses ok.

9. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

That will not kill the snails correct

10. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Bleach will kill snails, but perhaps not all the eggs.

11. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Is there anyway to not kill the snails I’m sorry I can’t bear killing them.

12. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

The only way to not kill snails is to not kill them! I can't tell you any more than what I have, you have to decide now. ;)

13. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Ok I’ll quarantine it in a bucket of water for a day and see what happens.