Java moss not growing

Tscott667

Member
Why is my java moss still half dead? I've had it in the tank for 2 months now and isnt really growing. I fert with thrive c twice a week, I have a finnex stingray 2 light. I have my tank on a 4 hours on, 3 hours off, 4 hours on because of hair algae. Theres 2 pics I've attached. Is it the hair algae killing it. I've been trying to keep it off. Second pic is me fanning the hair algae off. Is fanning hair algae off bad? Will it go and "infect" other areas? Fanning it off is way easier and possible than getting a toothbrush and twirling. Any more tips on getting rid of hair alage?


EDIT: Second pic looks better in the pic than it actually looks in person.
 

Attachments

jkkgron2

Member
What I’m seeing is it’s covered in algae. If you were to stir it up there and maybe use a toothbrush to get the algae off I think it would look a lot better.
 
  • Thread Starter

Tscott667

Member
jkkgron2 said:
What I’m seeing is it’s covered in algae. If you were to stir it up there and maybe use a toothbrush to get the algae off I think it would look a lot better.
The first pic was before I removed te algae. I've seen pics and videos of this moss bright green and long. I've had this in there for about 2 months and still like this. Maybe the hair algae was suffocating it. So stiring up the hair algae into the tank isnt a bad way about getting it off?
 

jkkgron2

Member
Tscott667 said:
The first pic was before I removed te algae. I've seen pics and videos of this moss bright green and long. I've had this in there for about 2 months and still like this. Maybe the hair algae was suffocating it. So stiring up the hair algae into the tank isnt a bad way about getting it off?
Not really, just watch out and don’t let it build up in any other areas. My Java moss looks really bad. I think that yours actually looks pretty nice.
 

SM1199

Member
Yes, the hair algae is taking over the real estate the moss is inhabiting and sucking away its nutrients as well. The root problem likely has to do with your light/nutrient balance. Unfortunately, I'm not very skilled with high tech tanks and I won't be of much use to telling you exactly what is out of balance.

I keep a low tech ten gallon with no ferts and a relatively weak light and my moss grows faster than I know what to do with it. I did have issues with hair algae overtaking it in the very beginning and what I did that I think ultimately made a big difference was I cut away and tossed the areas that were overgrown by algae and re-tied down the parts that were not affected. Only the areas closer to the surface/light were affected by algae. Later, once the tank became populated with some taller plants that limited the lights a little, I stopped having problems with algae in my moss completely and now it nearly touches the surface with no algae at all. In my instance I had too much light but yours could be the other way around, hard to tell since you dose ferts.
 
  • Thread Starter

Tscott667

Member
SM1199 said:
Yes, the hair algae is taking over the real estate the moss is inhabiting and sucking away its nutrients as well. The root problem likely has to do with your light/nutrient balance. Unfortunately, I'm not very skilled with high tech tanks and I won't be of much use to telling you exactly what is out of balance.

I keep a low tech ten gallon with no ferts and a relatively weak light and my moss grows faster than I know what to do with it. I did have issues with hair algae overtaking it in the very beginning and what I did that I think ultimately made a big difference was I cut away and tossed the areas that were overgrown by algae and re-tied down the parts that were not affected. Only the areas closer to the surface/light were affected by algae. Later, once the tank became populated with some taller plants that limited the lights a little, I stopped having problems with algae in my moss completely and now it nearly touches the surface with no algae at all. In my instance I had too much light but yours could be the other way around, hard to tell since you dose ferts.
I have a low tech tank. Atleast that's what people have told me. No c02. Maybe the hair algae was killing it. I'll be better at destroying it. You said too much light. That's why I cut down the light cycle. My full tank is in he picture. I have quiet s bit of plants and some coverage with lil pads
 

Attachments

SM1199

Member
Tscott667 said:
I have a low tech tank. Atleast that's what people have told me. No c02. Maybe the hair algae was killing it. I'll be better at destroying it
Then mine must be super-ultra-low-tech because it's a miracle mine even has a light. hilarious The hair algae is definitely hindering it but you need to get to the root of why the hair algae is growing if you want to get rid of it permanently. You could try some kind of plant (floating or tall stem) that will decrease the amount of light that hits the moss and see if that makes a difference. Less is more with most basic kinds of mosses. They don't need much of anything. I have whole handfuls of it thriving in my 3 gal tank with a built-in light that I maybe remember to turn on three times a week.
 

Ryz

Member
Blast with H2O2(hydrogen pyroxide). I did that with the little tiny wads of hair algae, and within a day they started to die and turn grey. Its kinda fun too because when you blast it(I did so with a turkey baster) you can see it bubble, like its bursting the cells and by product is oxygen bubbles. Like tiny natural air bubbler. Just make sure you seriously use enough to squirt in on the algae, lest you squeeze a small cloud and your fish swims through it(prolly be fine, but I'd be offended >_<)
 
  • Thread Starter

Tscott667

Member
I just researched just for a few minutes. A few places said lower the light cycle which I've already done and some co2 to get it under control. Has anyone use any co2 booster or seachem excel or anything and does it work?
 
Top Bottom