Java Moss Lifespan

1. hud316 Member Member

Over the years I find myself frequently having to buy Java Moss online. Despite what I read online etc about it being easy to grow mines always seems to go a dark green colour and look lifeless. I got new Java moss at the weekend and it looks so much brighter and alive than what I had. I've also never had any joy attaching it to the bit of driftwood I have. I've secured it with thread, netting and fishing line but still no joy.

Everyone else seems to be able to grow java moss even when they dont want too, but I constantly fail :mad:

I will attach pictures when I get home from work to show the difference in both types of moss.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Mine grew like CRAZY in my 55 but stopped growing as much in my 125. I ended up selling a piece the size of a basketball. I bought it the size of a golfball.

How close is it to your light? What kind of lighting do you have?

If your aquarium info is correct you only have your light on 4 hours a day which also could be cause to it not growing well. If I'm not mistaken ideally its best to have light 6-8 hours a day.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have Java Moss taking over my 29 gallon. It grows like crazy. Have you tried any liquid fertilizers?

A moss ball the size of a basketball is crazy. It must reallly like your tank!

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I was insane. I got rid of it because I took my other pieces to my 125 and I didn't really have a place in my 125 it would look good and I was tearing down my 55 and turning it saltwater. I use liquid ferts too.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You should have gotten a picture ;D

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I had to force it and squish it into a gallon zip lock bag. You should have seen my managers face when I brought it in. I left it without messing with it for over a year. It was right under my filter idk why it grew the best

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

The only tank I can grow java moss in is my 16 gallon and that was only after I put it at the top of the tank, not the bottom. It needed much more light than it was getting when I had it down inside the tank where it just kept dying off on me. It's really taken off now and is super healthy.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

It wouldve grown best there because the filter would be pulling in debris and waste, the moss caught it and turned it into great fertilizer

9. matt6765 Well Known Member Member

My 26 gallon is infested with java moss much like e_watson. The entire tank is literally full of it! My tank has less than 1 wpg and I don't fertilize or use co2. I don't know why it won't grow for you. Is the current too strong?

10. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you are having issues with growing Java Moss. I think that my best friend didn't have luck with it either when it was in this tank... with me running it though, it is definitely growing. It is mostly confined to a rock, but is trying to spread and get into the gravel.

11. hud316 Member Member

The current is not too strong, I do have an air tube thing in my tank too but once again that is pretty weak

I've tried putting the moss under my filter this time and we will see how we go, apologies for not posting the pics yet...just not found time, will get them posted as soon as I can.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have the moss with some very strong currents and it's doing great.

I wanted to thank you for this thread - it makes me feel good about the success I've had with it :) I had thought the reason it didn't die was because of the resiliency of the plant, but now I know it was due to my prowess as an aqua botanist ;)

13. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You're an aqua butt-inist, alright...... :;laughing

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

lol!... so we on 4 plants now huh jaysee?

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I bought a marimo moss ball the other day. The girl assured me I couldn't kill it :)

By next week I'll be up to 6 ;)

16. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Hey that's algae, no cheating!

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

cheating would be considering the little tufts of BBA I have a plant. I used to ;)

18. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Java moss has grown rampant in all my tanks but one. The only tank that it would not grow in was my 20gal that had a T8 light fixture, nothing would grow under it, even the marimo moss died. The java ferns are the only thing that survived, but they ddn't grow any.

My java moss seems to do the best in my 30gal that has a marineland doublebright LED fixture, and the 15 gal that has 2 aquarium CFLs. I started with a golfball sized piece in the 30gal, we have divided it so it is in six tanks now. We got rid of some in the 30 just a month ago, took it down to a baseball sized amount, already it has doubled again.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Woooow.... haha stepping up nowadays huh?! :)

It does seem to grow in better light but i think current is still the best thing for moss. I've put some in my african tank with very low light and its almost doubled in size because it's right by one of my powerheads.

20. hud316 Member Member

Ok as promised heres my pics of my moss amongst other stuff, have attached pics of another plant I have (not sure of name, its had dark green stuff on its leaves recently wish I can remove if I rub...my marimo moss balls which I think I'm well on the way to killing too :( and my grass which I have attached to wire and covered with net (this has been flourishing)

My light wattage is 15W

Newer Java moss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Dying Moss??

[​IMG]

Dark Green stuff on plant leaves...what plant is this??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My tank

[​IMG]

My Moss ball...on its way out I fear :(

[​IMG]

My grass wire nettings things

[​IMG]