Java Moss Is Dark Green

Saurav170

HI All,

I am new to this forum. I have a 32 gallon planted tank with HM and HC is the foreground, Java Moss on stones in the midground and stem plants in the background. The lighting is 46 W LED. There is CO2 diffuser. Also every alternate day I am injecting fertilizers of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate and Potassium Sulphate. The plants , mosses all are growing fantastic. But the mosses are dark green. What can be the issue ? Request your suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 323

EbiAqua

Looks more brown than green to me, how old is your tank? Does the brown color rub off easily?

Saurav170

HI Fahn, Thanks a ton for your quick response. My tank age is 5 months now. The moss is not brown and also nothing is coming out when rubbed.
Resending the moss close up photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 286

FishRFriendz

I move my mosses around from my display tank to a shrimp only tank periodically. Mainly to get the 'cleaned' when the look dark.

Saurav170

But what is the difference between the two tanks ? Also, all the moss are tied to the stones so it will be a mammoth task to lift and shift the entire structure.

More than that what is important is that why are they so dark and what can be the remediation to get them as light green

FishRFriendz

Well shrimp clean off any debris and algae growing on the moss. You need a cleaning crew. Some amano shrimp should do fine with the fish you have, and nerite snails, tho nerites tend to lay eggs all over the place. The cleaning crew will also take out any dead leaves.

Junne

Looks like they are covered in diatoms and or dying strands - they look more brown than green.

I do not used C02 or ferts - just plain ole 25 watt CFL bulb and this is what mine looks like. Honestly, I don't think you need all that to grow them successfully as they are very easy to grow with minimal help.

rcs 8-25-16.jpg

Saurav170

Understood, but what is the solution now in the same tank. Removing the moss from here to another tank will not work as that is **** of an activity. I have tried earlier keeping shrimps but since I have angels and tetras in the tank , the shrimps became breakfast and lunch for them in 2 days. There are HC, HM and Amazon swords in the tank which requires CO2 and ferts so I cannot eliminate them either.
Considering the above , request a solution for making these mosses look bright green like the one posted by Junne.

Saurav170

Great, but will not the shrimp or the snail become breakfast of the Angels ?

FishRFriendz

snails no, amano maybe, the amanos are quite large, much larger than an angels mouth so it's worth trying one shrimp to see if the angel tries anyways.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies
Views
DoraCory
Replies
Views
anitaesroli
  • Question