10 Gallon Tank Java Moss is being weird

FedExz

I'm looking for some advice to make my Javas Moss "sprout" shoots. I know that might be an odd request, but it's not my fault this moss is being so rude.
About 6 months ago I started a small planted aquarium (8 gallons). In that time I put down a small piece of Java moss, which at the time looked like regular Java Moss, which I got off amazon. It was a mesh sample approximately 1.5" around.
It has since grown out into a giant ball which appears to be only roots. I have let it grow essentially unrestricted and it is now ~6" around. In this time, I have seen all the original leaves consumed by hair-strand like roots and excluding one small shoot, I see nothing that actually resembles Java Moss. I still think it is actually java moss considering the appearance it had earlier, so I don't believe I was scammed although it is a possibility. Does anyone know any other reason why this moss might be expanding like this without carpeting or sprouting shoots?

Attachments

• 20210517_160918.jpg
    20210517_160918.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210517_160928.jpg
    20210517_160928.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210517_160933.jpg
    20210517_160933.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 49

JLAquatics

I'm looking for some advice to make my Javas Moss "sprout" shoots. I know that might be an odd request, but it's not my fault this moss is being so rude.
About 6 months ago I started a small planted aquarium (8 gallons). In that time I put down a small piece of Java moss, which at the time looked like regular Java Moss, which I got off amazon. It was a mesh sample approximately 1.5" around.
It has since grown out into a giant ball which appears to be only roots. I have let it grow essentially unrestricted and it is now ~6" around. In this time, I have seen all the original leaves consumed by hair-strand like roots and excluding one small shoot, I see nothing that actually resembles Java Moss. I still think it is actually java moss considering the appearance it had earlier, so I don't believe I was scammed although it is a possibility. Does anyone know any other reason why this moss might be expanding like this without carpeting or sprouting shoots?
In my opinion I think algae has taken over your Java Moss. Those grey looking shoots look like Staghorn and Hair Algae to me. The bad thing is that algae can be a real pain to remove from mosses. Just an FYI, Java Moss does not have true roots. Also, I want to give you a warm welcome to the Fishlore forum! :)

Upvote 0

FedExz

Hair algae seems like a good possibility, although it is definitely a bit darker green and thicker in person then it appears in the pictures, I'd describe it as 'bushy'. Looking at google images it looks pretty odd for hair algae but if java moss doesn't actually have roots, I guess that can be ruled out.
Just to be clear the white, thicker strands you may see there probably belong to the Micranthemum that it also seems to be covering.
And thank you for the welcome, that was a quick and helpful reply!

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Hair algae seems like a good possibility, although it is definitely a bit darker green and thicker in person then it appears in the pictures, I'd describe it as 'bushy'. Looking at google images it looks pretty odd for hair algae but if java moss doesn't actually have roots, I guess that can be ruled out.
Just to be clear the white, thicker strands you may see there probably belong to the Micranthemum that it also seems to be covering.
And thank you for the welcome, that was a quick and helpful reply!
No problem at all! Feel free to make yourself at home and have fun here on Fishlore, we are all a very helpful and friendly group of aquarists.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
  • Question
Replies
Views
SotaAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views