Java moss hitchhiker?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Novemayune, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

When I bought my setup from CL, the guy threw in some ornaments that he no longer wanted. I washed them in hot running water and then added to my tank and filled up. Now, it looks as though there is a little string of java moss (idk for sure, but that's what it looks like)... Well, it was previously a little string. Now it looks to have grown a couple of tentacles? The ornaments were dry when I got them, I have no idea how long they had been out of water, but is it possible that the moss could have been on them and missed being rinsed off and is now coming back to life? If so, that is totally fine by me because I've been looking into getting some, I just wasn't sure if it could survive being out of water and whatnot...

2. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

It would just depend on how long it was out of the water. Java moss is pretty easy to grow and maintain. So if he hadnt had it out too long then chances are it will probably grow for you. Can you take a picture of it?

Also, in the future when getting used tank stuff you should consider disinfecting them first before adding them to your established tank Including plants. It could save you a lot of time and heart ache down the road. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Hmm, I will see about a pic. I might have to hunt up my digital as I don't think my apple 3G s is quite good enough to snap a shot of it...

4. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

moss.JPG

This is the best pic I could get with my phone. It is the tendril between the ghost shrimp and the spire on the right. I will have to see if I can get a better pic later...

5. Atomsk

Atomsk Valued Member Member

6. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

^Agreed, looks like the leaf tip of a windelov java fern.

7. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Yeah, the windelov java fern I intentionally put into the tank. There is a tendril on the little church thing though that looks pretty similar to java moss, to my untrained eye. I will have to dig up the digital camera and get a much better picture. The iPhone took one sad shot there, let me say :-/

8. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Okay, I found the digital and took a couple of pictures. I also cropped down so that the mystery plant is the only thing in the shot. When I first noticed it, it was just one strand, but now the strand has branched out. If this is in fact growing, I will be happy, lol. But idk - the color is pretty gray/green, so idk that it is actually alive and growing - might just be a remnant.

Moss1.JPG Moss2.JPG

9. Atomsk

Atomsk Valued Member Member

I think java moss is supposed to be green.

10. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Looks like dying java moss that came with my tai micro crabs.

11. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Well, at least I was right in thinking java moss. Shame that it is probably dying. I love the look of it - I'll have to check around for a reasonable price on some. Thanks for the input guys :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice