Java Moss Help

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like it's covered in algae or cyano. Does the dark color brush off easily? A clearer picture would be very helpful.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like it's covered in algae or cyano. Does the dark color brush off easily? A clearer picture would be very helpful.
it doesent brush off easy

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
phantom said:
it doesent brush off easy
It's hard to tell in the picture but the individual sprigs of moss look "thick", almost like they're encrusted in something. Depending on the lights it is grown under java moss can be bright green or darker, but I've not seen it this dark.

If you can get some clear, close-up pics of the moss I may be able to help more.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
It's hard to tell in the picture but the individual sprigs of moss look "thick", almost like they're encrusted in something. Depending on the lights it is grown under java moss can be bright green or darker, but I've not seen it this dark.

If you can get some clear, close-up pics of the moss I may be able to help more.
ok thanks ill try to do that

Fahn said:

best photo I can get

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
phantom said:
best photo I can get
Your moss is definitely covered in something, just can't tell exactly what it is. You can see bits of green sticking out here and there but the moss is caked in something.

Was the moss like this when you bought it?

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Your moss is definitely covered in something, just can't tell exactly what it is. You can see bits of green sticking out here and there but the moss is caked in something.

Was the moss like this when you bought it?
it was not like this when I bought it could to much light be it?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
phantom said:
it was not like this when I bought it could to much light be it?
If you don't have a lot of plants, more than 7-8 hours a day. Like I said, it looks like it's covered in some type of algae or cyano from excessive light exposure. Can you send a picture of the whole tank?

Sample of Java moss from the planted tank at my work:

IMG_20180428_124038.jpg

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
2.5g only java moss others are fake sry about dirty tank have not cleaned it much because of no fish in it also it gets 12hrs of light 2 weeks ago it had 15-17hr of light and I have multible grow lights on them

other photo

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
phantom said:
2.5g only java moss others are fake sry about dirty tank have not cleaned it much because of no fish in it also it gets 12hrs of light 2 weeks ago it had 15-17hr of light and I have multible grow lights on them
Is there any filtration or flow in the tank at all? I'm pretty sure at this point it's cyano or some other algae from way too much light.

Java moss doesn't need much light to begin with. 6-8 hours of low-intensity light is sufficient. If you have high intensity lighting on for over 12 hours a day with no plants all you'll get is a dirty, algae-covered tank.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Is there any filtration or flow in the tank at all? I'm pretty sure at this point it's cyano or some other algae from way too much light.

Java moss doesn't need much light to begin with. 6-8 hours of low-intensity light is sufficient. If you have high intensity lighting on for over 12 hours a day with no plants all you'll get is a dirty, algae-covered tank.
thanks that's probably it to much light also yes it has filtration and good flow

do you think itll go away on its own with less light time?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
phantom said:
thanks that's probably it to much light also yes it has filtration and good flow
The moss may be beyond saving, try cutting off any light to the moss for 2-3 days and see if that helps. You can just put it in a jar of water in a cabinet or closet so your seedlings can still get light.

I recommend getting a digital outlet timer so you can set when your lights automatically turn on and off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom