Java Moss Growing Guide

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ralph113, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ralph113

ralph113 Well Known Member Member

Can some1 give me guides to grow my java moss. please be simple. THANKS

2. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

Attach to rock or wood with string or elastic band and place into fish tank.

It doesn't get much simpler than that really.

3. OP
    OP
    ralph113

how about temperatures?

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Mid 70's is good. Also, I would tie it down good, as java moss likes to spread out.

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Java moss will attach itself to driftwood or rocks. It doesn't have roots so you have to fasten it down with something like string or netting until it attaches itself to the surface you want it to adhere to. Some people will make a moss wall, where they put the moss between 2 pieces of plastic canvas. There are instructions for that elsewhere in this forum.

PS - Love your profile, but the real info would make it a little easier for people to help :p.

6. OP
    OP
    ralph113

agh! i have freshwater fishies in my tank and its on a 78F temp, :( would that be fine? i have co2.

7. OP
    OP
    ralph113

ah that :p well i gathered almost 90% of the infos from this forum a year 10 months ago :) so i know stuff now thanks to this forum, well from plants just a bit.

8. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

Mine grows perfectly fine in 80F water as a moss wall, and attached to a piece of driftwood. Between high light, CO2, and EI dosing, it didn't take too long to start spreading across the driftwood. Keep an eye on it for any signs of algae. Since it grows slower algae is more attracted to it, and it is very hard to get rid of algae on moss.

9. OP
    OP
    ralph113

sweet thanks! i have a HUGE snail, and it goes everywhere even on my really thin plants, so ill let him/her handle that and i have some ottos. THANKS

10. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, Java moss will grow in many conditions, especially with added ferts, etc. and good lighting. It will grow differently in different conditions.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Step 1 - add water

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice