Java Moss...Good for low light ground cover?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Trying to fill in some spaces in my tank and was wondering would Java moss work at all as ground cover?

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

It could but would need some work to keep it growing sideways to cover the ground. It usually grows toward the light. So you would need to kind of direct it to cover the substrate. I have seen some people who use a stainless steel mesh to make it into a sheet that can be put anywhere. The weight of the stainless steel holds it down and in place and the moss grows up through the holes in the mesh.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Can you get the wire mesh from hardware store?

I'm not sure my lighting would be strong enough for hairgrass, can you think of any other plants you might recommend?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Java moss would need regular trimming to keep it looking neat, you could try riccia again using mesh to hold it down

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Java moss works good mounted to a screen, it does require pruning to look good, but then again it is slow growing so it isn't such a big deal, I use it in ultra-low light betta tanks. I use plastic mesh because I already had a whole lot and either set a piece of decor on it or weigh it down with plant weights. But stainless steel mesh like between #4 & #8 would work better. It is on eBay if you have trouble finding it locally.

6. Axelrodi202 Member Member

You would want something more tidy like Christmas moss or Fissidens. Java moss gets to be unruly.