Java moss exploding in dirted, unheated 3-gallon

Timo2015

I'm posting this as an FYI, and because I'm a bit befuddled.

I set up an old 3ish-gallon acrylic tank as a what-the-heck-let's-see-what-happens, and it's become a sanctuary for my java moss but it seems the dirt hasn't helped my rooted plants at all.

Tank Specs:
3/3.5 gallon TopFin kit
Temperature: about 70 degrees F
Filtration: very weak (using the built-in kit filter), with floss and activated carbon
About 1 inch of Miracle Gro Indoor Potting Mix as substrate, with another inch of pea gravel on top
Oak branch from my backyard with Java Moss tied to it
Some runty vallisneria, amazon sword, and java fern tied to a chunk of cinder block (also from my backyard)
1 Indian Almond leaf that hasn't release many tannins, I think it's too old
Occasional .5mL squirts of Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green fertilizer
Lighting: I'm using an LED bulb in an IKEA lamp; I have no idea how powerful it is.
A handful of bladder snails and a few malaysian trumpet snails

My dwarf Amazon Sword and vallisneria wasn't doing well in my (heated, filtered) 10-gallon, and I figured it was from the lack of root nutrition since I use a fine but unfertilized substrate. However, neither of those have shown any growth at all, despite being root-feeding plants that I thought would appreciate some soil to grow in.

Enter the Java moss! It's growing like a weed; almost every frond has a bright green tip of new growth. Plus the snails are multiplying quite happily (there are multiple egg sacks on the glass) and there's a thriving population of freshwater copepods as well. I'm chalking it up to the fertilizer, but I don't know why that hasn't helped the other plants. Go figure.

JenC

It's funny but the most my java moss ever grew was when I threw it into an unheated, unlighted, filtered tank for a few weeks. I didn't even attach most of it to anything. It exploded like crazy. I was really happy.

Then I relocated it to some heated, higher light tanks and most of it eventually turned brown and died.

I suspect it just likes colder, no fuss environments.

I actually just took a piece of driftwood out of the shed. It was covered in java moss last year in a now retired tank, and I'm not kidding but it looks like the moss is alive and growing in the new tank I've been setting up. (That's not possible, is it?)

The plant keeps me guessing.

Timo2015

Honestly, that might be possible. I have Java moss in my heated, filtered, fertilized, well-stocked 10 gal and it's also turning brown (and filling with algae, that might be the reason).

Honestly, that moss could be alive. I don't have any experience like that but I wouldn't put it past it...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Java Moss is being weird
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
Nuchi
Replies
Views
richiep